Swim Fins with Booties

A forum for discussing paipo board gear such as swim fins, leashes, skegs (board fins) and other related wave riding gear.
nomastomas
Big Wave Charger
City: Ojai
State or Province: CA
Interests: Surfing, cycling and fishing

Re: Swim Fins with Booties

Unread post by nomastomas »

I know 2mm fin boots don't work. I found a pair in my truck that I had only used once and thought they might work well for the XL UDTs. Much easier to put on, and protective enough (although heel was open). Biggest concern was keeping the big UDTs on in the OH surf encountered during this morning's session., No problem, stayed on and actually felt pretty snug (thanks to my wide feet). Problem was I found a quarter-sized hole in the sole when I took them off. And these were brand new! Really need that extra thickness in the sole, but then even my 3mm booties have holes in the soles. Felt may be the answer.
"This is a paipo site...isn't it?"
www.tp4surf.com
krusher74
Big Wave Charger
City: easkey
State or Province: co sligo
Interests: Surfing, vintage cars and motorbikes

Unread post by krusher74 »

Those 3mm sock from ebodybording will have holes in in less than 10 surfs if you walk around in them at all.(been there tried that) :?

These are the best solution I have ever found, 3mm with a thin rubber sole, had them about 2 years, not worn through them yet and i have to traverse some sharp reefs most surfs.

Beware! I think the new ones dont have the sole any more :( .

http://www.hsssurf.com/oneill-heat-ninj ... 71-hs.html
flojo
Big Wave Charger
City: Ventura County
State or Province: california
Interests: bike riding, surfing, music

Unread post by flojo »

I have had the same issue with rapidly wearing fin socks and finally found these that work for me. Decent sole-thin but strong and pretty easy to get
the fins off and on. Good protection when rock dancing and comfortable when kicking.

xcel infinitoid is the brand and model
Attachments
booties.jpg
belly rider
Big Wave Charger
City: Florence
State or Province: Tuscany
Interests: A True Passion for Paipo & Kneeboards

Unread post by belly rider »

This is for Nels and Rodntube-- man thanks for reminiscing those Rondine Fins by Cressi Sub
Totally forgot about the Gentle rubber on the feet and best fins for free-diving True Truths
I use to drill hole in the middle front part and slip a string with knot through hole and then tie it around my ankle
Those were really old days/times

generally I Keep fins lubed with Vaseline cream you can by at any dive shop-- keeps them soft, looking new and flexible to original rubber specs
prevents also rubber from cracking in prolonged time use
its all about the ride
nomastomas
Big Wave Charger
City: Ojai
State or Province: CA
Interests: Surfing, cycling and fishing

Unread post by nomastomas »

Final solution...I picked up a pair of Patagonia 2mm booties on sale, that offered no wrap-around sole, just a smooth neoprene upper, with a thin but non-slip rubber sole. The these thinner/slimmer booties make it easier to pull on the UDTs then anything else I've tried, but still not as easy a bare foot. The UDTs are XL size 11-13. I normally where a L (9-10) fin, but the fit is very snug with these booties on. I was initially concerned about the fins coming off, but I've found that taking them off is almost as difficult as putting them on. The durability of the Patagonia's thin sole remains to be seen. The soles of my standard 3mm Patagonias have been ripped to shreds by this winter's conditions, so I'm not very optimistic.
Attachments
FinalSolutionSmall.jpg
FinalSolutionSmall.jpg (24.99 KiB) Viewed 2450 times
"This is a paipo site...isn't it?"
www.tp4surf.com