Fins

A forum for discussing paipo board gear such as swim fins, leashes, skegs (board fins) and other related wave riding gear.
Pes78
Big Wave Charger
City: San Diego
State or Province: CALIFORNIA

Fins

Unread post by Pes78 »

So I have the cheap set of fins for 35 bucks made by H2O. I like them but seem to missing some thrust when kicking into waves. Anyone have some suggestions on what to try? I have wide feet and like a soft foot pocket. Tried DaFins and Vipers and didn't really like them much.
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger
City: Arbutus Land
State or Province: Maryland
Interests: Waveriding, travel and the Paipo Research Project

Re: Fins

Unread post by rodndtube »

DaDins have very much grown on me. I did have to get the flow with a slightly modified kick stroke but the transition went smoothly and really took off. Nonetheless, swim fins are so highly personal so it is a tough nut to crack.

Describe some likes and dislikes of swim fin characteristics and your feet/ankles/legs.
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

"The sea doth wash away all human ills."
-- Euripides.
Uncle Grumpy
Big Wave Charger
City: San Clemente
State or Province: California
Interests: Surfing, Surfboards, Surf History, Fishing, Boats, Dogs, Books

Unread post by Uncle Grumpy »

Buy your fins big enough to wear a comfy bootie or sock year round and you'll always have that nice soft foot pocket.
My wide feet like the UDT's.
I wear them with a sock or bootie season depending and always with those neoprene strap pads.
Ultra comfort and heaps of power.
Paipo surfer in repose,
Nose on the nose,
No grunting he-man pose.
See how fast he goes!
What is it he knows?
Pes78
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by Pes78 »

I have tree trunks for legs and I wear 4e in New Balance. Most of the time I feel like I don't go anywhere if it's consistent paddling out. If the waves are weak I tend to have to take off really late. If there is a strong current I struggle as well. Maybe with a longer board may help but I think I need some better fins.
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger

Pes78 wrote:I have tree trunks for legs and I wear 4e in New Balance. Most of the time I feel like I don't go anywhere if it's consistent paddling out. If the waves are weak I tend to have to take off really late. If there is a strong current I struggle as well. Maybe with a longer board may help but I think I need some better fins.
The DaFins are wider than many (and much wider than Vipers). Part of what you are describing may be answered more via board volume -- I notice this particularly along the East Coast where I need to use a thicker Austin Paipo (the baseline model) for wave catching as the slightly thinner and narrower model (S&S Checkered Austin) just won't allow me to catch some of those wave unless it is a particularly punchy, steep swell. The boards have the same plan shape but differ a little in width (1/2 to 5/8 inches) and more noticeably in thickness (a fuller 2.5" thickness vs. a domed 2" thickness).
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

-- Euripides.
soulglider
Big Wave Charger
City: sd
State or Province: ca

Unread post by soulglider »

Makapuus. I have wide feet too. Tried the other hipster fins but didn't care for the fit, the short wear time (straps break easily) or the cost.
deathbedpaipo.blogspot.com
Pes78
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by Pes78 »

I looked at those a while ago and they were a bit tight new but some used ones I found felt good in the same size. I'm going to see if that second hand store in OB has some. They usually have a big selection of fins.
Pes78
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by Pes78 »

Revisiting this again. Was out Tuesday last week and almost ended out to sea. I have the DMC repellor fins and they have worked very well for me but since that was the first real swell that I've have had them out in since I got these over a year ago I wasn't going anywhere out out. Pretty sure I was in a rip. Now the board I was on was my cork which is .25 thick so I'm swimming. I have something in the works from a shaper here in eps and going to be completely different. So I bought a pair of Dafins because I forgot what I didn't like about them. I don't like the length so much on them and was thinking of cutting them down to the size my DMCs are.
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger

Some folks very much like the Force Fins--there are several different versions--your foot sits on the fin and an adjustable strap wraps over so wearing standard booties is not an issue (almost a requirement). Force Fin Pro fans are fanatic about them. I hear of some people breaking straps on the DaFins but I have never had that happen... maybe because I use fin socks, not booties. Or, they just ain't hipster enough to wear them :lol:

The Force Fins are very expensive retail, but one can find them at affordable prices on eBay and elsewhere. Pes, you might find them at your store for a steal. Search for Force Fin on the forums and elsewhere... several forum people use them.

The Hydro Tech 2 are very soft and comfy, wide foot pocket. So much to like but they didn't work for me--believe the blade was just a inch or so too short. Different strokes for different folks.
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

-- Euripides.
GeoffreyLevens
Big Wave Charger
City: Paonia
State or Province: Colorado

Unread post by GeoffreyLevens »

I scored a pair of perfect condition Force Fins in a 2nd hand store in Tucson of all places. Perfect fit. Price was $2. I was looking over my shoulder to see if I'd be accused of stealing them! I liked them a lot for most comfortable of any I've ever worn. Thrust was good but both standard old school Duck Feet and my Viper 7's beat them by a little though not a lot (pool tested for top speed, cruising speed, and acceleration). No contest for comfort though. No need to "get used to them" etc. Right off they felt as comfortable as bedroom slippers.
Pes78
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by Pes78 »

Well I ended getting some dafins and had them out for 15 minutes. had to go in and switch out to my repellors. I then cut them down and brought them out and had no improvement. Now I had a pair of fins stashed in Florida but I couldn't remember what they were. I'm pretty sure that I was supposed to get the same ones here in CA but I think I got side tracked with trying something different, I have no clue because we're talking 4 yrs ago. They ended up being hydro techs so I brought them back with me. They are very comfortable and a little stiffer than the repellors. Should have them out in some swell this week and see how they are getting around. don't have the new board yet gonna be a couple more weeks.
Attachments
fins.jpeg
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger

Pes, my buddy that loaned and encouraged me to try out the DaFins during a surfing session together recommended giving the fins a chance to "modify my kick stroke" and to just "feel the flow." He was right... the first 5 to 10 minutes were a lot different than my Vipers kick but then the feel started to kick-in.
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

-- Euripides.
Pes78
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by Pes78 »

Rod I threw them out and I don't think I'm going down that road again. I've done some dumb stuff the last month with my equipment.
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger

You can try mine next October!
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

-- Euripides.
SURFFOILS
Big Wave Charger
City: Gold Coast
State or Province: Qld

Unread post by SURFFOILS »

Tried the Da Fins and the Force fins, Vipers and Duck Feet had heaps of power.
Making my own version with an Annular Wind Design.
I’ve found I’m getting the same thrust with less leg energy.
Maybe I should increase the length or diameter ?
Attachments
B699B921-3B61-4C97-931F-A0DCD7B66148.jpeg
------------------------------------------------------------------
surffoil@gmail.com
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger

Are those drain hole eyes on the bottom? Need them on the top so the sand and pebbles drain out during paddling!
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

-- Euripides.
belly rider
Big Wave Charger
City: Florence
State or Province: Tuscany
Interests: A True Passion for Paipo & Kneeboards

Unread post by belly rider »

surf foils that is a weird kind of fin set up
could you elaborate a bit more on this design and what you are trying to a achieve
Also send us more pics from different angles
this
its all about the ride