Board bags

A forum for discussing paipo board gear such as swim fins, leashes, skegs (board fins) and other related wave riding gear.
Pes78
Big Wave Charger
City: San Diego
State or Province: CALIFORNIA

Board bags

Unread post by Pes78 »

Going to get in contact with these guys for a bag. If anyone is looking for one made I'll give some feedback if I decide to go with them.

http://vitaminblue.com/blog-piapo-board-bag/
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger
City: Arbutus Land
State or Province: Maryland
Interests: Waveriding, travel and the Paipo Research Project

Re: Board bags

Unread post by rodndtube »

Curious about their prices. For everything but the coffin bag be sure to get plenty of width and length especially if you want to fit a paipo with fins inside as that style of bag tends to tighten up. And you don't want too snug of a fit if you board has wax on it.

The "paipo board bag" appears to have very thin foam padding and none on the perimeter. I would also be looking for a hang tag at the nose for hanging the bag for airing out and drying. That bag is probably fine for a wood board, 1/4 inch to 1 inch thick, but beyond that I'd want to figure out the measurements for a foam/glass paipo with and without fins. For travel the board needs some serious beefing up (more along the lines of their coffin bag--please get a price quote for a 56 x 24 x 6 inch coffin bag).

P.S. Fill them in on the proper spelling of "paipo!"
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

"The sea doth wash away all human ills."
-- Euripides.
Pes78
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by Pes78 »

Just sent them an email, will see how long it takes for them to get back to me. Another option is DSurf here in SD county they make recycled bags from all their off cuts I believe. The have a mini simmons bag that I had before that I think will work well. Would need to pad the board up but the bag has a lot of room their about 60-70 bucks.
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger

Are you wanting a board bag for day trips or longer travel (e.g., train/airline)? Usually around Thanksgiving, for the holiday season, I can get some board bag specials.
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

-- Euripides.
Pes78
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by Pes78 »

They got back to me this morning with a 2.5 week lead time and would cost about $150 plus shipping. I'm just looking for a day bag really but the catch is I would need to have a fin slot being my latest board is a single fin. I'm most likely going to get D surf bag and see if I can get a fin slot put on it.
jbw4600
Big Wave Charger
City: Kentfield
State or Province: CA

Unread post by jbw4600 »

it looks like @Midnight is no longer making bags. That's a bummer, because the one bag I got from them is very protective. I was going to get a longer bag.
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger

rodndtube wrote:Midnight made some good bags -- a couple of friends have purchased them. Sound materials and design features. A real shame if they have ceased bag building.

Pes, you might consider buying a large skim board bag and creating your own skeg cut (or see if they could modify a bag with one). Victoria and Zap make some good bags and are a lot less expensive. Recommend one of their travel bags with at least partial side panels. Always good to double check dimensions. Always double check what you are ordering as the board bag business can be like the fashion scene with designs & specs constantly changing.

How large is your center fin? Maybe you don't absolutely need a fin cut in the bag if the fin is less than 5". My day bags typically fit my board with fins.

Try these folks: http://airwavesf.com/kneeboard_bags.html

Some more info. Some of the companies are out of business now. https://mypaipoboards.org/PaipoBoardBags.shtml
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

-- Euripides.
Pes78
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by Pes78 »

I may go with a Zap bag. I have two of their day bags and I think I should be fine with a coffin. I'm going call and see how wide they are compared to the day bags might be the same though. My new board is 22" wide snd there wasn't much room on the sides. Thanks for the link to the airwave folks would think their bags should be wide enough. I'm just looking for a day bag but if I can find one for travel at a decent price that would be a bonus.
Pes78
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by Pes78 »

Call Zap the other day and will be ordering from them. Getting a coffin bag that is 24" wide and it's 4" deep should be good for the boards I have.
belly rider
Big Wave Charger
City: Florence
State or Province: Tuscany
Interests: A True Passion for Paipo & Kneeboards

Unread post by belly rider »

Rod thanks for the info and link you provided for the SF based board bag manufacturer
I just ordered a new bag for a second hand Hawaiian Paipo board I just bought
Those guys, I found out, are also the manufacturers of board bags for Romo kneeboards and for the Hawaiian Paipo company
It always is helpful to be tuned in on this forum
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: ;) ;) :D :D
its all about the ride
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger

Belly Rider, that is a good board bag for the HPD board and similar wood boards. I have not looked at the recent AirWave line to see how much they may have diversified bag types but the materials/construction quality were good.

Pes, the Zap bag should fit your needs and more. Skimboard bags seem to fill the paipo niche very well in many cases.
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

-- Euripides.
jbw4600
Big Wave Charger
City: Kentfield

Unread post by jbw4600 »

I saw this on the Mini Simmons website. If I ever get to travel again, it looks like it would work pretty well. I have a smaller one from @midnight, but I would need a bigger one for my big board. If you look at the video, it looks pretty good. I don't know, if they will make a smaller one. https://www.wavetribe.com/collections/s ... travel-bag They also have a day bag that is cheaper.
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger

jbw4600 wrote:I saw this on the Mini Simmons website. If I ever get to travel again, it looks like it would work pretty well. I have a smaller one from @midnight, but I would need a bigger one for my big board. If you look at the video, it looks pretty good. I don't know, if they will make a smaller one. https://www.wavetribe.com/collections/s ... travel-bag They also have a day bag that is cheaper.
Among my many board bags is the Mini Simmons Day Bag. Well built and has many of the features one would expect in a board bag. What really separates from being a true "travel bag" is that the Day Bag is basically a rear entry bag rather than a full entry bag which doesn't provide as much flexibility for travel padding and packing, not to mention no internal straps to keep the board (and other items) from moving around. But in a pinch the Day Bag can fill-in as a travel bag. What I especially like about the current travel bag are the extra padding in the nose and tail.

Let me know if you end up wanting to order a WaveTribe bag. Also, they often have good sales around Thanksgiving for the Christmas season, usually only lasting a couple of days.
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

-- Euripides.
belly rider
Big Wave Charger
City: Florence
State or Province: Tuscany
Interests: A True Passion for Paipo & Kneeboards

Unread post by belly rider »

Fully agree with above
WaveTribe people know what they are doing-- I am a returning client of theirs for my kneeboards
I do put a lot of plane miles on my bags and have to report that the Airlines FINALLY managed to get a rip through the thick cloth of one of my Wave tribes but only after 2 round trips across half the globe-- Boards resulted undamaged thanks to that extra closed cell rubber protection they place at rear and nose end of their board bags
8-) 8-) 8-)
its all about the ride
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger

This Florida-based company periodically posts board bags for sale on eBay. This bag would probably fit the bill as a day bag and for a board with small fins depending upon the width of thickness of the board. It is a little big long for my typical 50" board but that doesn't get in the way and actually helps to zip up the bag when a 4.5" center fin is installed. I would not recommend this bag for a airline/train travel bag which would need thicker padding and being a rear-loader isn't very flexible for packing. Other colors are usually listed as well.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/352040735641?
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

-- Euripides.
SJB
Big Wave Charger
City: Santa Barbara
State or Province: CAL

Unread post by SJB »

I bought an Airwave bag a couple years ago...good protection and holding up well.
nomastomas
Big Wave Charger
City: Ojai
Interests: Surfing, cycling and fishing

Unread post by nomastomas »

I'm getting Frank at Vitamin Blue to design a bag for the G4 & G5. If the proto type turns out well, I'll order a few to have on hand. They'll probably be a 54" one-size-fits-all to accommodate TBGs from 46"-54". Should have something in 2-3weeks.
"This is a paipo site...isn't it?"
www.tp4surf.com
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger

Travel bags with good padding?

Hopefully at least 24 inches wide (for additional rail padding on trips plus to accommodate skegs when in day travel mode). Four inch padded side panels all the way around is another great feature as is 3.25 sides of heavy duty zipper.
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

-- Euripides.
nomastomas
Big Wave Charger
City: Ojai
Interests: Surfing, cycling and fishing

Unread post by nomastomas »

While that would be good for a "travel bag", these will be "day bags". Most of my customers don't take their boards to destinations requiring air travel, given all the added costs and hassles. I'm trying to keep the cost down for my average customer, and that means only providing features they will actually use on a regular bass. These bags will offer protection from sun, keep the board from dings and scratches caused by bouncing around in a truck bed or car trunk, and its being designed for use without removing fins. My current bag has a separate zippered compartment for swim fins. I rarely use it so its also off the list. If someone wanted a "travel" bag, they could have VitaminBlue custom modify my day bag with extra padding and larger size. Or, they could simply slip the TBG$ and bag into a second, larger bag and add all the padding they want.
"This is a paipo site...isn't it?"
www.tp4surf.com
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger

Thought that might be the case so I didn't add the other twenty features somebody might like in a "travel bag." Of course, there is always a demand for well-made day bags to protect one's precious :) Yeah, the swim fin pockets are a marginal requirement when keeping costs down. The best ones are internal to the bag so they don't get caught on trees and bushes while walking the goat trails to/from a surf break, something I notice more in N. Oregon than the typical SoCal breaks.
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

-- Euripides.