Chest Guard/Rash Guard

A forum for discussing paipo board gear such as swim fins, leashes, skegs (board fins) and other related wave riding gear.
jbw4600
Big Wave Charger
City: Kentfield
State or Province: CA

Chest Guard/Rash Guard

Unread post by jbw4600 »

Here is something new for me. It is made by Sport Guard. http://sportguard.net/ I have been using a Paddle Air.http://paddleair.com/ergo/ The Paddle Air is a little annoying, because it has an air bladder that can move around. It is also worn outside the wetsuit. This one goes underneath. I have pretty messed up ribs from many hard drops. I hope this works better. I'll let you know, after I try it out this weekend.
Attachments
IMG_20170412_171058457.jpg
GeoffreyLevens
Big Wave Charger
City: Paonia
State or Province: Colorado

Re: Chest Guard/Rash Guard

Unread post by GeoffreyLevens »

Have you tried just puling elbows in, tight against ribs, and taking most of those "hits" on your forearms instead of your ribs? Has helped me a lot but I am not that aggressive a rider and have not logged nearly as many wave hours as you likely have...
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger
City: Arbutus Land
State or Province: Maryland
Interests: Waveriding, travel and the Paipo Research Project

Unread post by rodndtube »

GeoffreyLevens wrote:Have you tried just puling elbows in, tight against ribs, and taking most of those "hits" on your forearms instead of your ribs? Has helped me a lot but I am not that aggressive a rider and have not logged nearly as many wave hours as you likely have...
Ha! I have damaged the ribs and the elbows the past 3 to 4 years, mostly at one specific spot. For the ribs, I bought a pair of lacrosse rib protectors that easily slip underneath my rash guard. For my elbows, I have some slip-on elbow pads (that I think are originally volleyball pads). My other preventive plan is to have a Cove Pad installed on my next board and am retrofitting a Cove Pad to an existing board. All are relatively light weight and water resistant or non-absorbing. And can be fitted rather than mail order of something that may be a terrible fit.
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

"The sea doth wash away all human ills."
-- Euripides.
belly rider
Big Wave Charger
City: Florence
State or Province: Tuscany
Interests: A True Passion for Paipo & Kneeboards

Unread post by belly rider »

Jbw
I have been a client of paddle air since the beginnings because as I grow older I need that extra support that air bladder gives-- thus avoiding straining and adding pressure on my lower back
This product is incredible as it was designed only for people that get back aches from paddling a lot
This product was never designed for rib protection
The bladder can be regulated by inflating and deflating it to get the right support so that I do not over strain my back mussels and arch my back to much

I do find you posting instructive and interesting for people that have rib problems-- I broke the bottom three lower ribs right side surfing
its all about the ride
jbw4600
Big Wave Charger
City: Kentfield
State or Province: CA

Unread post by jbw4600 »

Hi, I have gone back to using my Paddle Air. It seems to protect my rib inury better. It is kind of a hassle having to adjust the position with every wave. But it seems to work better at protecting my ribs. My injury has gotten better so I might try the Sport Guard again.
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger
City: Arbutus Land
State or Province: Maryland
Interests: Waveriding, travel and the Paipo Research Project

Unread post by rodndtube »

My guess it that that arrangement works better than my lacrosse rib pad protectors in cold water wetsuit climate conditions. The lacrosse protector would still need a short or long sleeve lycra over it, but it does a great job at protecting the ribs all the way around to the back and has two adjustable clips for tightening. I am also going to sew in some elbow pads for a long sleeve hooded lycra for elbow protection on the boards w/o a cove pad.
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

"The sea doth wash away all human ills."
-- Euripides.