boot/sock

A forum for discussing paipo board gear such as swim fins, leashes, skegs (board fins) and other related wave riding gear.
krusher74
Big Wave Charger
City: easkey
State or Province: co sligo
Interests: Surfing, vintage cars and motorbikes

boot/sock

Unread post by krusher74 »

soled sock option.

over the last few years I have been trying to find fin socks that allow me to walk over rocks without holing easily.

found these and have them on order

http://www.aldersportswear.com/products ... etail.html
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger
City: Arbutus Land
State or Province: Maryland
Interests: Waveriding, travel and the Paipo Research Project

Re: boot/sock

Unread post by rodndtube »

Please post a report and then bring samples to the USA!!
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

"The sea doth wash away all human ills."
-- Euripides.
belly rider
Big Wave Charger
City: Florence
State or Province: Tuscany
Interests: A True Passion for Paipo & Kneeboards

Unread post by belly rider »

Holy Smokes
this is exactly what I was looking for for my new fins
A shoe like bottom sole that would allow me to slip on my fins once I get to water level the can float me
I am the guy that has been posting on the fin discussion about these new ultralight fins with fiberglass blades
Thanks for the much appreciated information
its all about the ride
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger

I have taken to experimenting with a number of "sole enhancers" for walking down paths and across hot sand, and sometimes across a parking lot or longer dirt/gravel roads. The "walk" chews up my regular neoprene wetsuit style fin socks. I am using a combination of pre-glued patches, awning material and different adhesives and these will be tested in Costa Rica soon. The materials add virtually no impact to fitting the fin socks into my DaFin swim fins. Next up will be testing bicycle inner tube rubber strips with aqua seal--that should be the ultimate. I also have a pair of 2mm fins with a heavy weave bottom (that those cheap textured "slip free" bottoms, slip free on the reefs, ha ha).
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

-- Euripides.
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger

Update: the various patches and tape have been doing a good job as have the 2mm fin socks. During this next week I plan to test out the awning material affixed with aqua seal. All methods have proved successful thus far and I have no reason to believe the awning material/aqua seal won't.

Fin socks off-the-rack with tough flexible sole/heel material:
1) NRS Sandal Socks, 2mm, Large. The socks run larger than the size chart at NRS which would indicate that I need an XL. The socks slip right into my DaFin swim fins as easily as any 1mm/2mm/3mm fin sock. Tough weave sole has been trod over parking lots, grassy paths, gravely dirt roads, hot sand. You will feel the texture of gravel and rocks underneath but certainly much better than bare foot.
2) Mares Classic Socks, 3mm (his are called UltraStretch, about 3 yrs old). Company description: Super stretch 3mm neoprene soft diving socks. Ideal for avoiding abrasions or for extra warmth when combined with your drysuit. PhillyViking (on the paipo forums) has been very pleased with these socks in fitting easily into swim fins as any other 2mm/3mm fin all-neoprene would. These fin socks were for the same purpose I mention above. The interior seemed to be flaking neoprene but three years of steady use make these a definite buy again in the future.

Both of the fins above have not resulted in clammy, overheated feet in the tropics and have provided foot protection on the very hot midday sun on the beaches.

Swim Fin Socks, All Neoprene, Heel/Sole Patching Materials
A problem with my otherwise good swim fin socks has been the soles wearing out so easily when walking across fields, parking lots, and the like. The soles begin wearing through, developing holes, allowing shell fragments and grainy stones come between my bare foot and swim fins. So, I decided to explore patching materials with peel off adhesive material in addition to awning material + aqua seal where I cut out a heel and sole pattern. All these materials have been very flexible, light and thin. At home, I used some clamps, wood slats and pressed the material and fin sock for at least several hours for a solid adhesion, but I'd feel confident in jury-rigging a patch under a table leg with a book, catalogue or such--whatever when you are out and about and not in the 1st World. An alternative to awning material could be used bicycle inner tubes.

Some of the waterproof patch products I experimented with on my damaged fin socks are listed below.
- Gear Aid Tenacious Tape Repair Tape, Black
- McNett Gore-Tex Fabric Repair Kit II - Taslan, Black
- Noso Patchdazzle Gear Repair Kit, Black

For the awning or inner tube full sole patching I would recommend aqua seal for a good bond. Don't forget to mask off the perimeter of the patch and the interior so the aqua seal does not bleed through and glue the inside shut.
FinSock_Patch_Layout.jpg
FinSock_Patch_Press.jpg
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

-- Euripides.