yucca fins

A forum for discussing paipo board gear such as swim fins, leashes, skegs (board fins) and other related wave riding gear.
flojo
Big Wave Charger
City: Ventura County
State or Province: california
Interests: bike riding, surfing, music

yucca fins

Unread post by flojo »

anybody tried Yucca surf fins.? they are made in costa mesa ca.
GeoffreyLevens
Big Wave Charger
City: Paonia
State or Province: Colorado

Re: yucca fins

Unread post by GeoffreyLevens »

Have not. Nice they have various flex options. Funny as hell that they charge same $$$ for ones made out of their "scraps" aka trash
belly rider
Big Wave Charger
City: Florence
State or Province: Tuscany
Interests: A True Passion for Paipo & Kneeboards

Unread post by belly rider »

Don't know if I am understanding the above Geoffrey message correctly
But if they are made from recycled rubber materials please beware that
recycling rubber material is NOT recommended as the rubber compounds
all differ from each other and they chemically can not bond perfectly
Therefore, over time, the rubber will start delaminating by flacking off
If the rubber is recycled it must be vital that it must come form the same
rubber base compounds or else pay the consequences
its all about the ride
Nels
Big Wave Charger
City: Camarillo
State or Province: California

Unread post by Nels »

Dig the colors, dig the vibe, even the clothes and crap.

That said, they look like Vipers and those were instant pain merchants for me when trying on. Not sure my Duck Feet will last the winter, Churchills are aging. Wish it was easier to try fins. Mollusk in Santa Barbara closest to me but short of being completely out of fin options at home I'm not going to risk the plague (in the cosmic "Third strike" criteria I already have two against and the third strike with COVID is something to avoid). That's not just for Yucca fins. The hip sporting goods stores are gone, the surf shops tend to keep a few sizes of one or maybe two brands.

So yeah, anybody who can provide an independent review...please do.
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger
City: Arbutus Land
State or Province: Maryland
Interests: Waveriding, travel and the Paipo Research Project

Unread post by rodndtube »

I'd love to give them a test drive some time but don't know where to begin with all the different stiff to flex gradients combined with "what size" will really fit, or will they fit? I used Vipers for quite a while after Churchill had discontinued their rubber softer blade fins and then transitioned to DaFins, for increased comfort (width) and being able to range from 1mm rubber to 4 or 5 mm rubber before sizing up... sizing up with the Vipers only increased length, but not corresponding width--additionally the interior height became squeezed with 3mm rubber fin socks.

Viper Orange Dots (flex blade) were my favorite but warm water weakened the flex too much over time. So, I moved to 5" Yellow dots which eventually flexied, and separated my warm and cold water Yellow dot versions.

Overall, my paddleouts and wave catching improved with DaFins. The flip side was the very flat water surface side of Vipers providing an extended planning surface for body and board and could function as a flex tail.

The Yuccas appear to have potential but I would need to try on a variety of sizes using 1mm to 4mm of fin socks and then water test the flex ranges.
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

"The sea doth wash away all human ills."
-- Euripides.
Pes78
Big Wave Charger
City: San Diego
State or Province: CALIFORNIA

Unread post by Pes78 »

I have a pair off the ultra softs. I started with the standard flex but they were hurting the joint on my big toe and foot come together. Been going through a lot of differant fins and I am glad I found these. They have plenty of thrust for most conditions but if it is really small I struggle getting waves. Now I'm only riding wood and cork boards so take that into consideration. As far as the scraps go I think they are made in the soft flex, I'm sure if you email them they will say what they use. And I don't think they are made out of all scrap material. Rod on your next trip out I'm sure you could arrange something with them. The also put padding in the pads for you. The fins are very comfortable and haven't had any fatigue from them. May get another pair in the soft flex for smaller days or lot of water moving around.
bgreen
Big Wave Charger
City: Brisbane
State or Province: Qld

Unread post by bgreen »

matsurfers FB page had a big discussion on Yuccas. This link should take you to it.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/matsurf ... 344548257/
GeoffreyLevens
Big Wave Charger

GeoffreyLevens wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:35 amFunny as hell that they charge same $$$ for ones made out of their "scraps" aka trash
To clarify, that comment was made tongue firmly in cheek. I think it's nothing but wonderful to reduce the waste stream and a good product is a good product.
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger
City: Arbutus Land
State or Province: Maryland
Interests: Waveriding, travel and the Paipo Research Project

Unread post by rodndtube »

The Yuccas are expensive, probably about double of Vipers and DaFins, and they are also heavy along the lines of Viper 5" Orange and Yellow Dot models and DaFins are about half the weight, a big factor for anyone that travels and needs a spare pair.
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

"The sea doth wash away all human ills."
-- Euripides.
GeoffreyLevens
Big Wave Charger

belly rider wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:04 amDon't know if I am understanding the above Geoffrey message correctly
Always go to the source. ALWAYS!

https://yuccafins.com/products/yucca-fi ... lex-scraps
We are very excited to release the Scraps fin. After a year of tinkering we found a way to take our manufacturing waste rubber and grind it up and add it to a new fin. Keeping our waste rubber out of the landfill and using less new rubber in the Scraps fin. It also looks amazing so its a win win for us.
belly rider
Big Wave Charger
City: Florence
State or Province: Tuscany
Interests: A True Passion for Paipo & Kneeboards

Unread post by belly rider »

Yes Geoffrey you are right I just went by what I read here above on your statement
So let me be more specific -- as long as the "scraps" recycled are all from the same rubber compound then everything is fine
However if the Rubber compounds used to achieve different flex on the fin product is and contains deviations from the others
then what I stated remains a true fact
I have been working for the past 23 years in the rubber hose industry -- specialized in rubber hoses used for loading/offloading
Oil tankers, Gas Carriers and Chemical tankers-- as well as marine fenders for port vessel pier mooring.
I've learned a lot about recycled rubber especially when the oriental countries were building marine fenders from melted recycled
rubber -- seen these things half their product life expectancy with the distinct characteristics of "flakes" developing on their surface
David Rigo
its all about the ride
OG-AZN
Big Wave Charger
City: Oakland
State or Province: CA

Unread post by OG-AZN »

Anybody remember the Scott Hawaii fins from the 1980's? Yuccas look like they're based primarily off that old design. The Scotts were good fins, more power than Churchills and more durable than the Vipers of that era.
nomastomas
Big Wave Charger
City: Ojai
State or Province: CA
Interests: Surfing, cycling and fishing

Unread post by nomastomas »

Its been a couple of years since this thread was started...any new reviews of the Yucca Standard Flex? DuckFeet have been my goto fins for nearly 40yr, due to their stiffness and resulting thrust. But, there has always been a certain amount of pain that goes with wearing them. Primarily that has been sores on my feet where they rub. Fin socks help reduce this, but make it difficult to remove the fins. I've been applying Vaseline to the inside of the footpocket entry and the side of the strap just below the anklebone (but not in the heel area), and this has been very effective in reducing friction. (contrary to urban myth, the Vaseline does not cause deterioration of rubber. I've been doing it for a couple of years with the same fins and no problem) But now, I'm getting wear on the top of the toes next to my big toe (same toe on both feet). I think the cause is a combination of the foot pocket not being wide-enough or soft enough. I think the design of the Yucca fins will fix these problems, but I just want to get feedback from prone riders who have used the Yuccas before forking over $85.
Besides DuckFeet, I've used Voit UDT, DaFin, Viper V7, Churchill, possibly others (lesser known and unimpressive)
"This is a paipo site...isn't it?"
www.tp4surf.com
bgreen
Big Wave Charger
City: Brisbane
State or Province: Qld

Unread post by bgreen »

flojo
Big Wave Charger

Re: yucca finssale

Unread post by flojo »

Got a pair of Yucca fins today for 40 bucks -really good holiday sale.
Nels
Big Wave Charger
City: Camarillo
State or Province: California

Unread post by Nels »

Flojo - have you had a chance to try the Yuccas yet? And what flex level if you know? I'm considering...I tried a couple on for sizing and if I go with Yuccas I'll have to commit to fin socks or not, I'm right on the size edge.
flojo
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by flojo »

Hi Nels, just saw your post-I think the fins are great. I got a pair of ultra soft flex size xl. I wear them with 2mm booties.the pocket is roomy and soft.