Looking for a Better Fit, Modifying Swim Fins

A forum for discussing paipo board gear such as swim fins, leashes, skegs (board fins) and other related wave riding gear.
Pes78
Big Wave Charger
City: San Diego
State or Province: CALIFORNIA

Re: Looking for a Better Fit, Modifying Swim Fins

Unread post by Pes78 »

i wanted soft and comfortable and i feel like i get enough burst of speed to get into waves. it was pretty weak that day at te inlet. would be down to meet up. i only get 4 days off a month. but if there is rain on a thursday or friday i can get to the beach in the afternoon if tere is waves. i work on a golf course here outside dc so weekends i work i have to stay to water.
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger
City: Arbutus Land
State or Province: Maryland
Interests: Waveriding, travel and the Paipo Research Project

Unread post by rodndtube »

Pez, what would be your normal day off ?
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

"The sea doth wash away all human ills."
-- Euripides.
Pes78
Big Wave Charger
City: San Diego
State or Province: CALIFORNIA

Unread post by Pes78 »

off this weekend but going up to new york to visit my brother and nephews. so basically ever other weekend off.
PhillyViking
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by PhillyViking »

I gave my 12EEE and other profile points (require long swims and burst) to Yucca and they got back with this:

"Our fins have a wide foot pocket. You can probably use a XL barefoot, if you want the fin sock go with XXL. I think soft flex would work best. Let us know if you have any other questions."

https://yuccafins.com/collections/premi ... /Soft-Flex

They have three gradients of stiffness so it makes sense to put me in the middle (soft flex) that appears to be less stiff than the Standard but more flex than the Ultra. That would be the balance point of wanting long distance swimming and power thrust. I can see if you kept your feet in the water more like a bodysurfer or even bodyboarder you might want the superflex to conform to the wave better. I told them I get my feet out of the water once riding as much as possible and rely on paipo fins for turning etc.

Its too late for this trip but I will either get some from a store over the summer or order on-line. Sounds like I should go XXL since I wear a 3mm sock all the time (even in tropics for comfort and shoulder seasons on E-coast for warmth). This is promising since even if my FF Pro Mod works they are still heavy at 5lb. I did forget to confirm these are much lighter but will confirm such before buying,
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger

The Yucca SoftFlex XXL sounds about right for overall surfriding. And remember you are using these for mat and paipo surfing. Also, a lot of bodyboarders bend their knees with feet out of the water.
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

-- Euripides.
Ted
Big Wave Charger
City: Las Vegas
State or Province: Nevada
Interests: HPD, Austin 50", Xylem 47"

Unread post by Ted »

I tried Da Fin when I was in good shape and surfing a lot - never could figure out what the width was good for and the stiffness was too much for more than three strokes. I always returned to my Churchills because they didn't kill my feet or give me cramps prematurely. Surviving a surf session has become more important than high performing.
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger

Yeah, Ted, I hear you. Swim fins are so "personal" in the way they fit and respond for each person. A swim fin that one person raves about in exultation might be a damnation for the other person. There are so many different fin types available but finding the "right one for me" can be an endless journey.
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

-- Euripides.