Renting Boards

Welcome to a general discussion group on paipo boarding.
Atlantasurfer
Big Wave Charger
City: Atlanta
State or Province: GA
Interests: books, beer, and breaking waves

Renting Boards

Unread post by Atlantasurfer »

This may be a stupid question, but has anybody tried using a small rental surfboard as a paipo? I like to travel with just what I can fit into my carry-on bag, especially if I have to change planes on the journey.

The problem, of course, is not having the gear you want when you get there. I usually don't like renting bodyboards. They are mostly in kids sizes or bent like a potato chip. Plus, paipos have got me spoiled. Now a bodyboard feels ssslllllllloooooowwwwww!

I am around six feet and 230, and I usually surf a 6' alaia style ply board. So, I thought maybe a 5 or 6 foot rental board might be a substitute.

What do you think?
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger
City: Arbutus Land
State or Province: Maryland
Interests: Waveriding, travel and the Paipo Research Project

Re: Renting Boards

Unread post by rodndtube »

It is tough to find a rental paipo or alaia around the USA. Maybe not as challenging in Hawaii. I like my board and at my age don't want to be counting on an unknown board that is different in good waves someplace. This past month I left my Checkered RPM with a friend in PR. Wish I could do that in Costa Rica. Our local surf club is planning a trip to Nicaragua this summer -- they have 30 to 50 boards for rent at the surf villa, including a couple of bodyboards. I asked about an Austin paipo. Waiting to hear back from them... It is a real issue these days with baggage and board fees.
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

"The sea doth wash away all human ills."
-- Euripides.
OG-AZN
Big Wave Charger
City: Oakland
State or Province: CA

Unread post by OG-AZN »

I don't think you could find a rental paipo or alaia even in Hawai'i. I've never had much luck trying to prone ride a surfboard, either intentionally or unintentionally. Funny, I just saw a guy at Full Point (O'ahu) a few weeks ago trying to ride a grom sized surfboard paipo style. He was at the least the size of Atlantasurfer, if not larger, and he wasn't doing too well. You might see if you could rent a (water ski type) kneeboard when you travel, that might work. Don't think you'd find a surf kneelo for rent these days, but I've seen some guys riding those prone. I stuck a file/rasp combo and a paper template of one of my paipos in my luggage on a trip once. Bought plywood locally and borrowed a jigsaw to knock out a quick and dirty paipo.
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger

Your suggestion of "build your own" reminds me of this story:
http://mypaipoboards.org/pubs/BookSumma ... ml#Ellam_P

There are only a few places I can't think of off the top of my head where you might be able to rent:
1) Frog House in Costa Mesa/Huntington Beach
2) Austin Surf Shop, Virginia Beach

On the other hand we now have a growing network on the paipo forums so you might be able to borrow a board to your liking in many places, but now all places. I am thinking about beginning to "park a board" at different spots around the USA, but obviously don't own enough boards to go around!
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

-- Euripides.
PaipoRick
Big Wave Charger
City: City
State or Province: Your state or province

Unread post by PaipoRick »

How about making a plywood board (or having one of the guys on here) make one for you? Something that would fit in a bag that you could use to load up with other gear.

Atlanta, we should trip it to Hatteras once. I'm up in Asheville, 3.5h away from you. I'll be in SC (south of Myrtle) in April, hauling the boards with me on the off chance there will be swell.
Atlantasurfer
Big Wave Charger

I have never been to Hatteras, but it is on my list! Let me know wnen you are heading out to SC. I might be able to make it out.

Do you ever snowboard at Cataloochee, Rick? I have been low on time and money this winter, but I usually head out there a few times each season.
mrmike
Big Wave Charger
City: coronado
State or Province: ca

Unread post by mrmike »

try a surf mat they fit in any suitcase and they are lot of fun
PaipoRick
Big Wave Charger

Atlantasurfer wrote:I have never been to Hatteras, but it is on my list! Let me know wnen you are heading out to SC. I might be able to make it out.

Do you ever snowboard at Cataloochee, Rick? I have been low on time and money this winter, but I usually head out there a few times each season.
SC is in early April, Huntington Beach SP south of Myrtle. I've heard there is a spot that breaks at the Inlet....I need to check it out. Hatteras is a lot of fun, a bit more of a drive.

Supposed to snowboard this year but the person I was to go with moved away.
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger

Atlantasurfer wrote:I have never been to Hatteras, but it is on my list! Let me know wnen you are heading out to SC. I might be able to make it out.

It is a long drive but consider coming down to the Waterman's Challenge in Cocoa Beach, weekend of June 2/3. There is a Memorial Paipo Expression Session, non-contest event, on Sunday morning, June 3rd, 2012. A group of us is also gathering in Cape Hatteras in Sept 2012, part of an annual gathering started during the hey day of the alt.surfing newsgroup. That one is a mix of surfers, ranging from bodysurfing to longboarders with a few avid paipo riders thrown in (Rick and I) and some others that ride a paipo now and then.
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

-- Euripides.
PaipoRick
Big Wave Charger

Def think about Hatty. It's reasonable. Drive isn't too bad, either. Talk to Rod for the details, start working on the mrs now so you can get the time off.
Atlantasurfer
Big Wave Charger

Meeting up with y'all in September sounds really fresh. Let me know what dates you pick out.

Mr. Mike--thanks for the mat suggestion. That does sound like a solution. Are they easy or difficult to learn?
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger

Atlantasurfer wrote:This may be a stupid question, but has anybody tried using a small rental surfboard as a paipo? I like to travel with just what I can fit into my carry-on bag, especially if I have to change planes on the journey.

The problem, of course, is not having the gear you want when you get there. I usually don't like renting bodyboards. They are mostly in kids sizes or bent like a potato chip. Plus, paipos have got me spoiled. Now a bodyboard feels ssslllllllloooooowwwwww!

I am around six feet and 230, and I usually surf a 6' alaia style ply board. So, I thought maybe a 5 or 6 foot rental board might be a substitute.

What do you think?
Where are you thinking of traveling to?
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

-- Euripides.
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger

Atlantasurfer wrote:Meeting up with y'all in September sounds really fresh. Let me know what dates you pick out.

Mr. Mike--thanks for the mat suggestion. That does sound like a solution. Are they easy or difficult to learn?
September 8 - 15, 2012, are the dates. We have a relatively stable group of people that go every year... well, not all "stable" but certainly consistent in attending. We will be based out of Avon which puts us in the mid-point between Frisco and Rodanthe, not to mention decent surf in the Avon & Buxton areas, with all the usual caveats (swell direction, wind, etc.). We have some bunk space open and there might be a bed or two free up.
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

-- Euripides.
mrmike
Big Wave Charger
City: coronado
State or Province: ca

Unread post by mrmike »

ya surf mat are sortof easy but learning something new is the fun part. check out this surf mat form for all kinds of tip and tricks they cost about $200
globalsurfmatrider.forumotion.com :D
Uncle Grumpy
Big Wave Charger
City: San Clemente
State or Province: California
Interests: Surfing, Surfboards, Surf History, Fishing, Boats, Dogs, Books

Unread post by Uncle Grumpy »

Atlantasurfer wrote:Meeting up with y'all in September sounds really fresh. Let me know what dates you pick out.

Both. :D
Mat riding has been called the fly fishing of surfing.
Easy to pick up the basics, a lifetime spent getting it wired.
Every surfer worth their salt ought to have a mat in their quiver if for no other reason then the sheer portability. Preferably American Made.

Check out the riders guide here :
http://www.surfmats.com/

The master speaks here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igN3FqwC29E

More mat stuff.
http://neumaticsurfcraft.homestead.com/
http://surfmatters.blogspot.com/
http://www.ukmatsurfers.org/html/home.html

gg_foot_up[2].JPG
Paipo surfer in repose,
Nose on the nose,
No grunting he-man pose.
See how fast he goes!
What is it he knows?
Atlantasurfer
Big Wave Charger

Thanks for posting the mat stuff. It is definitely on my list.

The only question now is, where I am going. The trip is for my anniversary, so we are looking at Jamaica or somewhere else in the Caribbean. But, it is my wife's turn to pick the location. Over the last ten years, all of our travel (which i usually book) has revolved around surfing and snowboarding, so this one is her choice.
PaipoRick
Big Wave Charger

I was outside of Mo Bay once, there was nothing breaking. Drove down to the SW coast past Negril and....flat. One guy I talked to said SE towards Kingston had more surf. If you head to JA bring a snorkel and fins....lots to see under the sea. If you have to bring a board you could make a plywood paipo and leave it with some local kid. :)
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger

PaipoRick wrote:I was outside of Mo Bay once, there was nothing breaking. Drove down to the SW coast past Negril and....flat. One guy I talked to said SE towards Kingston had more surf. If you head to JA bring a snorkel and fins....lots to see under the sea. If you have to bring a board you could make a plywood paipo and leave it with some local kid. :)
Did you say the Caribbean? Do as the author suggests!
Ellam, Patrick. 1956. The sportsman's guide to the Caribbean. New York: Barnes.
http://mypaipoboards.org/pubs/BookSumma ... ml#Ellam_P
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

-- Euripides.
PaipoRick
Big Wave Charger

Barbados gets swell.

The only thing I caught in western JA was a buzz. :) Hey Rastaman, hey what you say, gimme somma dat Sen...