Paipo Surfing in CR

Welcome to a general discussion group on paipo boarding.
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger
City: Arbutus Land
State or Province: Maryland
Interests: Waveriding, travel and the Paipo Research Project

Paipo Surfing in CR

Unread post by rodndtube »

Terry "Moses" Newcomb and I have been paipo surfing in Costa Rica the past week. Have to say we are having a good time at the little cove I frequent every year. He brought two boards, 1) a Romanosky paipo which has a rather wide and thick nose pulling into a wide square tail and 2) the baseline Austin Paipo -- both are twin fins. I brought my new S&S Checkered RPM Austin (http://mypaipoboards.org/Paipo-11CheckeredD_IX.shtml). My Checkered RPM (blue/black) and S&S are both thinner and slightly narrower than the baseline Austin paipo with the S&S being the thinnest of the two. Ted's older Austin paipo is an RPM and his new 44" RPM is similar to my 50" S&S in thinness.

Over the week we have surfed in a variety of conditions ranging from inside shallow reef 2 footers on my arrival afternoon to 4 to 8 foot waves in various forms and conditions at The Wash. This morning we surfed the Outer Wash since the Papagayo winds had died down from 20-30 mph to a more manageable 15-20 mph and the waves about 8+ foot instead of the thumping 10-12' in the Papagayo winds. The Outer Wash is an outer reef wave:
srs_surfspot[1].jpg
srs_surfspot[1].jpg (36.6 KiB) Viewed 3340 times
I am happy to report that the S&S has been working better than expected in the small 2 foot punchy reef lines and like a charm in everything else down here, a nice board where there is some power or steepness in the wave. Terry was super stoked to have busted his virginity today at the Outer Wash and is beside himself walking around with this sheet-eating grin.
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

"The sea doth wash away all human ills."
-- Euripides.