Irene - Mid Atlantic States

Welcome to a general discussion group on paipo boarding.
PhillyViking
Big Wave Charger

Irene - Mid Atlantic States

Unread post by PhillyViking »

Looks like Irene is not going to do us much good - main event will be a blowout and mandatory evacuation will frustrate right before and after attempts. I am sure someone will get a couple rides somewhere and seeing the PICs will drive me nuts but for most of us this will be a non event. These things are supposed to stay a couple hundreds miles out - not travel the coast line. Mother Nature just does not listen .. and they say boys are bad.

I am thinking I need to focus on finding reliable spots in Central America and travel more often. To that end I am spending more time riding my 4GF Mat as to become a mean and lean air traveler .. I am making progress but have a way to go before I am as able on the mat as I am on the Austin Paipo. Biggest remaining issue is getting out - ripped a rotator cup hangin on in 3-5' in Buxton NC a couple weeks ago so I am not close to managing getting out in OH+. I suppose I also need an attitude adjustment ala EEF who professes his love for small waves in the North Sea.

ooops .. this is supposed to be a test .. should have posted this on the prod site.
bgreen
Big Wave Charger
City: Brisbane
State or Province: Qld

Re: Irene - Mid Atlantic States

Unread post by bgreen »

Phily,

Do you arm paddle or kick out on the Austin? If the former, try the kick out method more.

Bob
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger
City: Arbutus Land
State or Province: Maryland
Interests: Waveriding, travel and the Paipo Research Project

Unread post by rodndtube »

PhillyViking wrote:Looks like Irene is not going to do us much good - main event will be a blowout and mandatory evacuation will frustrate right before and after attempts. I am sure someone will get a couple rides somewhere and seeing the PICs will drive me nuts but for most of us this will be a non event. These things are supposed to stay a couple hundreds miles out - not travel the coast line. Mother Nature just does not listen .. and they say boys are bad.

I am thinking I need to focus on finding reliable spots in Central America and travel more often. To that end I am spending more time riding my 4GF Mat as to become a mean and lean air traveler .. I am making progress but have a way to go before I am as able on the mat as I am on the Austin Paipo. Biggest remaining issue is getting out - ripped a rotator cup hangin on in 3-5' in Buxton NC a couple weeks ago so I am not close to managing getting out in OH+. I suppose I also need an attitude adjustment ala EEF who professes his love for small waves in the North Sea.

ooops .. this is supposed to be a test .. should have posted this on the prod site.
Sounds like a keeper thread to me ;) The rain has been coming down heavy and sideways for several hours -- really from all directions sideways. Word is that the Ocean City, Maryland, and Assateague National Seashore will be closed through Monday so we will miss any potential good from this tropical storm. Florida has been very good -- that is where I should have gone! A friend sighted a paipo rider scoring some good waves but by the time he was near him the guy had caught a wave in.

The only issues with the paddleout on the Austin in our sandbar beach breaks is paddling through the white water and duck diving. A nice reef break or point break is an easier paddle out. Just have to watch for the ghost sets rolling in when arms are needed to scratch over the tops or through the bottoms of the waves.
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

"The sea doth wash away all human ills."
-- Euripides.
Asanagoo
Tube master
City: Grand Rapids
State or Province: MI

Unread post by Asanagoo »

Florida has been very good -- that is where I should have gone! A friend sighted a paipo rider scoring some good waves but by the time he was near him the guy had caught a wave in.
Was it at Jacksonville beach on saturday 9/17? If so, it was me! :D
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger
City: Arbutus Land
State or Province: Maryland
Interests: Waveriding, travel and the Paipo Research Project

Unread post by rodndtube »

Asanagoo wrote:
Florida has been very good -- that is where I should have gone! A friend sighted a paipo rider scoring some good waves but by the time he was near him the guy had caught a wave in.
Was it at Jacksonville beach on saturday 9/17? If so, it was me! :D
No, I believe it was in the Cocoa Beach area. But that was a good place to be riding.
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

"The sea doth wash away all human ills."
-- Euripides.
Asanagoo
Tube master
City: Grand Rapids
State or Province: MI

Unread post by Asanagoo »

No action shots this time, since I was flying solo. But here are a few shots of what Jax looked like that day.
Attachments
IMG_0375small.jpg
IMG_0375small.jpg (126.49 KiB) Viewed 7098 times
IMG_0373small.jpg
IMG_0373small.jpg (121.58 KiB) Viewed 7098 times
IMG_0370small.jpg
IMG_0370small.jpg (223.72 KiB) Viewed 7098 times