paipo sighting in 60's beach movie

Welcome to a general discussion group on paipo boarding.
kfitz +
Tube master
City: Boston
State or Province: Ma.

paipo sighting in 60's beach movie

Unread post by kfitz + »

Was watching "how to stuff a wild Bikini" this morning(I know, really bad taste). and halfway through, In the scene ,a beach bunny is being taught to walk with poise and she is balancing a paipo board on her head!!! it's plywood about 3 or 4' ,with a rounded nose and a slanted base, looks varnished.I don't think it's a skim board but......? this is for the paipo obsessed. some of the backround longboards are interesting as well
bgreen
Big Wave Charger
City: Brisbane
State or Province: Qld

Re: paipo sighting in 60's beach movie

Unread post by bgreen »

Well spotted. Was this on video/DVD or TV? I was wondering if a screen grab is possible

Bob
kfitz +
Tube master

Unread post by kfitz + »

Hi Bob, I was watching it on TV, but I'm sure its on DVD."How to Stuff a Wild Bikini". A screen grab could be fun . its funny what you watch on TV at times. Good luck. Ken,... its really not a bad shot of the board.
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger
City: Arbutus Land
State or Province: Maryland
Interests: Waveriding, travel and the Paipo Research Project

Unread post by rodndtube »

I have set the movie to record on my DVR in about a week. I will still be in CR but will check it out then. I can probably grab it via InterLibrary Loan upon my return. Meanwhile, my first surfout yesterday was a real chiropractic experience on my first wave. Nice!
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

"The sea doth wash away all human ills."
-- Euripides.
Uncle Grumpy
Big Wave Charger
City: San Clemente
State or Province: California
Interests: Surfing, Surfboards, Surf History, Fishing, Boats, Dogs, Books

Unread post by Uncle Grumpy »

Speaking of 60's beach movies, a couple weeks ago I was honored to be able to attend the sneek preview of Jack McCoy's new film at downtowndisney and among the many legends in attendance, the one I'd never actually seen in the flesh, was the little gal who unwittingly started the entire surf craze that, for good or ill, continues to this day.....
Kathy Kohner AKA The Gidget. Girl Midget, So named by late, great Terry "Tubesteak" Tracy.
Kathy K.JPG
Kathy K.JPG (78.38 KiB) Viewed 3345 times
Mickey Muñoz, (notoriously attired in wigs and bikinis as the movie surfing substitute for Sandra D's Gidget, among others,) was also among the crowd of heroes and legends in attendance.
Paipo surfer in repose,
Nose on the nose,
No grunting he-man pose.
See how fast he goes!
What is it he knows?
Poobah
Big Wave Charger
City: Lucerne
State or Province: CA

Unread post by Poobah »

Annette passed away the day after Kfitz started this thread. I've often wondered if Annette was a bellyboarder. Maybe we can work on that. As for the Gidget....I asked her once, and she said she wasn't a bellyboarder. Although a friend of hers standing nearby said he always kept one in his car...just in case.

And while we're mentioning the Gidget, I'd like to point out that there are some big differences between the movie and first edition of her dad's book. In the book version, the Kahuna doesn't go off his rocker, get a job with the airlines, and destroy his beach shack. That's Hollywood BS. The book ends with Kahuna and Gidget speaking softly in his shack (after Moondoggy goes back to college.) Honest Injun.
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger
City: Arbutus Land
State or Province: Maryland
Interests: Waveriding, travel and the Paipo Research Project

Unread post by rodndtube »

Below are a couple of super lousy shots of a TV screen pause using my smart phone camera. We can debate whether or not it is a paipo board until the sun sets a thousand years worth of day. However, one could argue that this was not a common paipo design in California. More importantly, later in the show there are 2 or 3 people skim boarding using similar looking boards.

We can probably agree that she has nice form ;)
Attachments
img01.jpg
img01.jpg (51.66 KiB) Viewed 3318 times
img02.jpg
img02.jpg (52.74 KiB) Viewed 3318 times
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

"The sea doth wash away all human ills."
-- Euripides.
kfitz +
Tube master

Unread post by kfitz + »

Hey Guys, You called it, I saw the skimmers as well, and that's why I wasn't sure if it was a paipo or not. That being said, I too thought it strange that it wasn't a typicelly round or oblong early skimboard ,if my memory serves me...... the slightly pointed nose and a quick shot of a tapered tail led me to think it might have been a paipo......... good fun !