Ab unexpected paipo hookup in Indo

Welcome to a general discussion group on paipo boarding.
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger
City: Arbutus Land
State or Province: Maryland
Interests: Waveriding, travel and the Paipo Research Project

Ab unexpected paipo hookup in Indo

Unread post by rodndtube »

Two of our forum participants met each other with no before hand knowledge of their trips to G-land. The word is Good. I will let them fill in the details.
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

"The sea doth wash away all human ills."
-- Euripides.
Ted
Big Wave Charger
City: Las Vegas
State or Province: Nevada
Interests: HPD, Austin 50", Xylem 47"

Re: Ab unexpected paipo hookup in Indo

Unread post by Ted »

G-land would be awesome. I hope there are photos!
krusher74
Big Wave Charger
City: easkey
State or Province: co sligo
Interests: Surfing, vintage cars and motorbikes

Unread post by krusher74 »

Yeah was pretty amazing, , Was standing on the beach waiting for the boat out to G land and due to it being broke was standing around chatting to everybody, ended up chatting to terry and saying i had be bodyboarding for 19 years and was now trying out some paipos, he said I ride one too!! no SheeeeIIIIItttttt, and then we find out were both on this forum,small world.

Terry was only out there for 3days, where as i was there 27!, was about 3ft while terry was there with nice clean offshores, The camera bat is never out on smaller days so the pics are all from 6ft plus days further into my trip.
Attachments
41.JPG
38.JPG
IMG_5096.JPG
IMG_4604.JPG
Last edited by krusher74 on Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
krusher74
Big Wave Charger

more pics
Attachments
46.JPG
44.JPG
40.JPG
37.JPG
dr robert
Big Wave Charger
City: cambria
State or Province: california

Unread post by dr robert »

some of the best photo's yet of modern paipo riding!
nice.
27 days at G-Land..a tough life!
paipo on!
krusher74
Big Wave Charger

dr robert wrote:some of the best photo's yet of modern paipo riding!
nice.
27 days at G-Land..a tough life!
paipo on!
Thanks, its not so hard to get good photos when a guy sits in a boat for 6 hours and sells you the shots. ;)

It was great to get out to G-land on a paipo after being there 6 times before on a bodyboard. It really allowed be to make sections and barrels with an ease i had never experienced on a bodyboard.
I did take my bodyboard and whet out one day on it, but it just feels like riding a flexi soggy lump of cardboard compared to the paipo. To use an analogy riding a bodyboard now feel like driving you car with the hand/E brake left on.

interestingly on more than one occasion a guy in the water or later in the camp after watching me ride from the beach would say. "hey , what are you riding out there, I have never seen a bodyboarder go that fast ever!" I would then explain what i was actually riding.

On one really good day after i had already had loads of good waves I caught an 8ft wave an just went on a speed run, just flowing top to bottom to maintain maximum speed, I have never been that fast on a wave in my life, I could feel the water squirting out on the back of the board through the concave. I really think the finless board has no findrag so therefore no top speed.

Going to try to make a replica of my fibreglass board from wood this summer from a tree locally chopped down by a friend.
SJB
Big Wave Charger
City: Santa Barbara
State or Province: CAL

Unread post by SJB »

Krusher....I have always thought a paipo was a type of body board. No?
I have an Austin. Impressed in the board by Austin is the word "paipo".
If someone asks me what it is I typically say a paipo....and then elaborate that a paipo is a Hawaian style body board.
Am I wrong?
I am probably covering old territory here but....
What is a bodyboard?
What is a paipo?
Are the two mutually exclusive?
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger

Oh... we have had some heated discussions on this topic!
SJB wrote:Krusher....I have always thought a paipo was a type of body board. No?
If someone asks me what it is I typically say a paipo....and then elaborate that a paipo is a Hawaiian style body board.
Am I wrong?
What is a bodyboard?
What is a paipo?
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

-- Euripides.
spudnut
Big Wave Charger
City: Ventura
State or Province: Ca
Interests: Surfing, Kites, Yo-yo's

Unread post by spudnut »

rodndtube wrote:Oh... we have had some heated discussions on this topic!
SJB wrote:Krusher....I have always thought a paipo was a type of body board. No?
If someone asks me what it is I typically say a paipo....and then elaborate that a paipo is a Hawaiian style body board.
Am I wrong?
What is a bodyboard?
What is a paipo?
Those "discussions" were a whole lot of fun. Can you pot a link? Oh and forgive SJB - He is REALLY OLD :lol:
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger

It goes something like this... for many for the board to be called a paipo the board must have a concave bottom, be made of sustainable natural materials using no power tools (stone and wood implements) and be finless (because of the drag). Or, was that convex and not concave? :?

The original threads seem to be buried inside threads with other subject lines... just like this one!! Nothing like CentCal guys stirring up the dust ;)

FWIW, in one week I will be sharing waves with a paipo/mat surfer, a ply bellyboarder/prone alaia waverider, and another foam/fiberglass with fins paipo rider. We will be riding the tail end of a big swell but hopefully will have some 4-8 foot for the first 36-48 hrs. Moses and I will be there for 2 weeks so are bound to catch another swell (Moses is one of the guys pictured in the G-Land pic).
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

-- Euripides.
SJB
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by SJB »

So OK....there is my confusion. Krusher says he was riding a paipo in G-land.....but it sure looks like a foam/fibre glass board to me. Looks machine made as well.
So Rod....since you say a paipo cannot be machine made or from man made materials.....is Krusher incorrect in his observation that he was riding a paipo rather than a body board in G-land?
Oh and by the way.....Spudnut has early dementia. Last time out he laid his fins on the wheel of his Jeep for safe keeping.....and then proceeded to run over them when he drove off. I hate to see a grown man cry. :o
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger

SJB wrote:So OK....there is my confusion. Krusher says he was riding a paipo in G-land.....but it sure looks like a foam/fibre glass board to me. Looks machine made as well.
So Rod....since you say a paipo cannot be machine made or from man made materials.....is Krusher incorrect in his observation that he was riding a paipo rather than a body board in G-land?
Oh and by the way.....Spudnut has early dementia. Last time out he laid his fins on the wheel of his Jeep for safe keeping.....and then proceeded to run over them when he drove off. I hate to see a grown man cry. :o
I went back and qualified the statement to begin for many and added a confused emoticon for clarity!

All these prone riding instruments are paipos, bellyboards, bodyboards and surfing boards. Many other variations as well. Much excitement over nothing... kind of like many of the wars being waged in certain places over who had the best martyr or prophet centuries upon centuries ago. Some folks are now using the termpaep`o but wouldn't papa pae po`o be more spot on? Or, how about papa li`ili`i?

Those are great pictures of your G-Land visit, Krusher. Terry "Moses" N. is excited about making another trip over there. But not until he gets his 5-finned Bonzer paipo ;)
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

-- Euripides.
SJB
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by SJB »

Thanks Rod. So it is in the eye of the beholder. I like that.
Still.... Krusher seems to prefer a "paipo" over a "body board".
I do wonder how he defines the differences so I can better understand his specific perception.
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger

SJB wrote:Thanks Rod. So it is in the eye of the beholder. I like that.
Still.... Krusher seems to prefer a "paipo" over a "body board".
I do wonder how he defines the differences so I can better understand his specific perception.
The term bodyboard became commonly used after the word "boogie board" became trademarked. The boogie board, or "sponge," was a softer, flexier and finless board compared to the harder, stiffer and often finned boards of the early 1970s and before. Compared to the original Morey Boogie Board the boogie board of today is much stiffer but it does share a relatively similar plan shape and rail design. When surfers says they ride a bodyboard we share a common concept of the board's general characteristic -- similar to a surfer referring to a fish or a thruster. So, when Krusher says he rides a hard, stiff version of a bodyboard the next question that usually pops up is, "Wood or foam & fiberglass?"
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

-- Euripides.
krusher74
Big Wave Charger

Hi,

Yeah I personally dont care what name is used. When I personally refer to a bodyboard I mean whats globally accepted as the things tom moray invented in the 70's.

Whe i get the usual " whats that thing?" question at the beach,I just say its a fibreglass bodyboard, if i say its a paipo it either lead to them still being non the wiser or to me then having to go into a long winded explanation of what a paipo is.

I have the same problem when people askwhere I am from, wales,where?, its next to england,on near london, no not really!

the pitfalls of living off the beaten track. ;)
Nels
Big Wave Charger
City: Camarillo
State or Province: California

Unread post by Nels »

Come on guys- if it's soft and finless, it's a bodyboard. If it's a hard board or has fins, it's a paipo or bellyboard. Yes, some guys are anal about traditional Hawaiian style paipo boards being the only thing to be called a paipo, but I don't see why the magic of the term needs to be cemented in some pre-1970's configuration. As said earlier in the thread the word bodyboard reeks of generic classification. Such is the power of trademark law. Morey called it a Boogie, but the man is an artist and freethinker.

Whew...getting that off my chest was almost worth the tapdance to finally be able to login around here again. Onward! :?

Nels
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger

As they say in the Facebook world, "Like."
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

-- Euripides.
bgreen
Big Wave Charger
City: Brisbane
State or Province: Qld

Unread post by bgreen »

G'day Nels,

My thinking at this point in time is that paipo is a socially constructed term and trying to come up with a hard and fast definition is nigh impossible. Paipo doesn't seem to have a long history as a word and has been reconfigured by Wally Froiseth to refer his twin finned boards, that he rode prone and standing up.Then we have Paipo Nui, finless and a coined term by John Waidelich & Jim Growney, and the 60s/70s Newport paipo, finned boards. Paul Lindbergh's boards aren't wood any longer. Guys in Hawaii ride the same board prone and kneeling. John Clark has translated the word paipo as meaning riding headfirst.

I reckon people who identify what they are riding as a paipo are riding a paipo. Boogieboard riders don't identify as such, and histories of the boogie board in most instances start with Morey. The rigid nature of a paipo board seems to be what separates a paipo from a surf mat or boogie board (aka body board). There is always the narrower defintion of a paipo as a wooden finless board (shorter than an alaia), but then few people on this forum ride a paipo as such. I don't think in the end that it matters a great deal what we call them (the UK bellyboards were originally called surfboards and some feel their term has been usurped). back to the notion of constructed terms.

Bob
Nels
Big Wave Charger
City: Camarillo
State or Province: California

Unread post by Nels »

Being a rather beat-up old surfer I pre-date the bodyboard, which Bob correctly ties with Tom Morey. Tom Morey invented the soft-core surfcraft...with his Morey Boogie. Since the materials were available to anyone once the idea was released, legal needs forced the coinage of the term "bodyboard" to describe the non-Morey Boogie-trademarked boards. The invention of the bodyboard was 1971, and Morey sold to Kransco in early 1978...

Prior to that pretty much any prone wavecraft was referred to as a paipo, wood or foam, at least in surf media, at least in the U.S, in the Modern Era. This forum and Rod's website do a great job amassing information from more ancient history.

In the end we're all just amusing ourselves. I like to keep life simple, so I call it traditional paipo (Hawaiian guitar-pick style in any material), paipo or bellyboard for anything else hard, and bodyboard for soft finless prone boards.

Tom Morey I think is also the guy who said something to the effect that it would be better if waves weren't measured in increments of fear, but rather increments of fun. He should be the patron saint of all surfing...

Nels