Introduce yourself

Welcome to a general discussion group on paipo boarding.
medswells
Wave slider
City: Castellón
State or Province: CV
Interests: Paipo building and riding

Re: Introduce yourself

Unread post by medswells »

Salva aka medswells, paipo boarder from Levante coast of Spain.

I started waveriding on the Mediterranean during 2010, with occasional visits to the Balearic Islands, the North of Spain, and, Portugal.
In the beginnings I started riding 7' mini-malibu boards, then started building hollow wooden mini-simmons 5' boards, 4' wooden paipos and alaias, and, found that lying prone on these boards made possible to go through small/flat wave sections faster and more fun. And on windy or big (closeout) days also allowed to get good rides in that kind of conditions. So, nowadays I'm mostly riding paipos prone.

The board below is one my first paipos (Paipo Granota 4'), the photo was taken after a session (fin on the left got bent) to show a friend that the fins needed stronger base to avoid losing them. Later, I started riding fin-less and playing with channels/concaves, but still relying on side-bites and small fins to hold on steeper sections.

Recently, I was around the north of Spain, and, also enjoyed some good rides: https://www.instagram.com/p/B2E1RWCFeZO/
13827388_1144525372255997_1588167917_n.jpg
Last edited by medswells on Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zensuni
Big Wave Charger
City: Bordeaux
State or Province: Aquitaine

Unread post by zensuni »

Hi medswells, the insta video is very nice,long ride and nice water color.
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger
City: Arbutus Land
State or Province: Maryland
Interests: Waveriding, travel and the Paipo Research Project

Unread post by rodndtube »

I enjoyed the GoPro (?) video as well. Truthfully, most of them aren't that great but this one is nice and smooth. Water contrast nice as well. Welcome aboard the Paipo Forums!
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

"The sea doth wash away all human ills."
-- Euripides.
medswells
Wave slider

Thanks!
It's a cheap sports camera (GoPro clone). That's right, most of the videos I record don't look that good (there are other videos https://www.facebook.com/medswells.surf/videos/ to compare).
That day was quite windy (offshore), so sky was covering/uncovering quickly with clouds running by, so I got a good wave with wind not blowing that hard and good light with the sky uncovered. Most of the merit is of the mate that decided that our best chances of scoring a good session were to head to Doniños that day.
Also, I found the waters from Galicia quite clear you can check photos of spots around Pantin/Doniños where the Pantin Classic Pro 2019 takes place, and, water color is quite nice.
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger
City: Arbutus Land
State or Province: Maryland
Interests: Waveriding, travel and the Paipo Research Project

Unread post by rodndtube »

Not to be misinterpreted... this GoPro video was very pleasing. It is the general GoPro video out on the Internet that usually is not pleasing to me... gives me a headache or makes me seasick!
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

"The sea doth wash away all human ills."
-- Euripides.
medswells
Wave slider

Me too, as soon as an internet surfing video starts making me seasick I stop watching.
zensuni
Big Wave Charger
City: Bordeaux
State or Province: Aquitaine

Unread post by zensuni »

Gopro videos of our paipo sessions are always deceptive, waves always look smaller and flatter (fisheye lentle), but in this case it is still a nice video.
Welcome to the paipo forum! I live in Bordeaux (Bordeus) in France, so I am used to surf the Atlantic ocean. I had a chance to bodysurf (using a handplane) the Mediterranean sea in Corsica a couple of weeks ago, that was very fun, I guess you must have some fun paipo sessions over in that sea, especially during the winter :)
medswells
Wave slider

Yep, autumn/Winter is the most fun season to surf around here (storm season) as the Mediterranean sea awakes from its summer holidays (flat season), however, during summer you can still get some wind waves, especially on handplanes/paipos that work well with almost any kind of conditions.
I haven't been yet to Corsica/Sardegna but I've heard good things about being a nice place to visit & surf.
Pes78
Big Wave Charger
City: San Diego
State or Province: CALIFORNIA

Unread post by Pes78 »

some good videos there and welcome to the forum
Paepoo808
Forum Grommet
City: Honolulu
State or Province: Hi
Interests: Paipo, surf, bodysurf, boog, longboard

Unread post by Paepoo808 »

Aloha MyPaipoBoards Forum!

My name is Mark and I am a newly converted Paipo addict. I grew up in Kalama Valley and would hitchhike to Maks if Sandys was bad. I would sometimes see the unkos with the wooden boards and always dreamed of trying. A teacher would come to Kalamas and help students make paipos and try them, I wish I remembered his name (Ahuimanu Charter was the school I think?). He let me sample some and I was hooked. Roping barrels with speed and a vision I just can't find on any other board. Watching Jarrett Liu ripping at Panics inspired me to get out there on any piece of wood I could find. The sustainable potential of paipo is steering me away from other water sports. The experience of shaping and then riding that geometry is exhilarating.

My current board is plywood 2x4x.5 sanded down with hempseed oil seal and then surf wax. Video below from a recent walls session. Thank you to the wifey for filming, still trying to convert her! :lol:

VIDEO (Waikiki Walls):
[url]https://imgur.com/a/i3n9rjD
-Mark
“The land is a chief; man is its servants.”
kage
Big Wave Charger
City: Santa Cruz
State or Province: CA

Unread post by kage »

welcome Mark!