2014 Buffalo's Big Board paipo comp-anyone go this year?

Welcome to a general discussion group on paipo boarding.
OG-AZN
Big Wave Charger
City: Oakland
State or Province: CA

2014 Buffalo's Big Board paipo comp-anyone go this year?

Unread post by OG-AZN »

I was on O'ahu during both weekends but was busy with family stuff. Missed the Pipe bodyboard comp too. Anyone on here enter or check out the paipo comp in the Buffalo contest? I got to paipo Makaha once during the work week. It was a very inconsistent 4 ft Hawaiian on sets, but with a slight onshore seabreeze. Clean and hollow on the inside though. Didn't see any other traditional paipo riders during the trip but saw one old uncle who rode a big guy boogie paipo style, and another uncle who I recognized as an old paipo rider who was about to go out with one of those hybrid Kenu bodyboards with skegs. That guy was stoked on my plywood board. The only paipo pics I could find from this years Buffalo contest below.

https://distilleryimage10.s3.amazonaws. ... 6042_8.jpg
https://distilleryimage4.s3.amazonaws.c ... 9584_8.jpg
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger
City: Arbutus Land
State or Province: Maryland
Interests: Waveriding, travel and the Paipo Research Project

Re: 2014 Buffalo's Big Board paipo comp-anyone go this year?

Unread post by rodndtube »

Jarrett Liu participated quite possibly. Don't think that Ted attended this year. Thanks for the info!
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

"The sea doth wash away all human ills."
-- Euripides.
Papa Paepo o
Big Wave Charger
City: Honolulu
State or Province: Hi.
Interests: building & riding Papa Paepo`o (Paipo) Boards. All types and sizes, I even rode a abandon 4'ft - 8'ft. plywood that adrift from a commercial fishing boat in Kewalo Basin, O`ahu in the year of 1996.

Unread post by Papa Paepo o »

Aloha gang,
yeah`, I was invited by Uncle B and Brian K. for a "Special Events" of collecting 100+ "Bodysurfer" to show and participate in this special events. When we got there, surf was breaking 4'-6'ft in the morning, Buffalo's Ohana will cooking their Hawaiian Style of "Kalua Pig" on the beach.
As for their "Paipo Board" contest, entry NOW is rider's over 250lb. who can participate. So I went out as a non-participate and had a "BLAST" performing my unique prone style of riding paipo, the "Malolo Style". Lots of paipo riders approach me and we'd talked. They wanted to know why I don't hold on to my board and if the board ever gotten away. I told them once you have confident in your board and know you and your board LIMITS, then you just GO. I'm now stuck at home with my leg being healed from an "STAPH Infection" that kept me out for 3mth.
Ted
Big Wave Charger
City: Las Vegas
State or Province: Nevada
Interests: HPD, Austin 50", Xylem 47"

Unread post by Ted »

I'm hoping to go in 2015.
The 2014 paipo entry looks like for age 50 plus or 250 pounds plus. Bummers if both age and weight are required.