R.I.P Hobie Alter

Welcome to a general discussion group on paipo boarding.
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger
City: Arbutus Land
State or Province: Maryland
Interests: Waveriding, travel and the Paipo Research Project

R.I.P Hobie Alter

Unread post by rodndtube »

I will always have a warm spot for Hobie Surfboards. My first waveriding device (other than my body!) and a couple of friends like Candy Chase and Jorge Machuca were sponsored by Hobie during the late-1960s. Hobie had a dominant presence in Puerto Rico during the 1960s until the shortboards arrived during the Winter 1967-68 Winter season. Life changed forever!!

Trivia data point: Hobie Alter and Grubbie Clark poured their first foam blanks using a paipo/bellyboard mold.

Hobie Surfboards has also built some nice paipos over the years but they are hard to find.
Racked up with my first surfriding device, a 9'4" Hobie Noserider, June 1967. We were headed off to La Pared, Luquillo, Puerto Rico, for another gremmie session. I would not graduate to paipo boarding on a semi-regular basis for another year or so, initially for riding more challenging spots like Tres Palmas and Gas Chambers.
Racked up with my first surfriding device, a 9'4" Hobie Noserider, June 1967. We were headed off to La Pared, Luquillo, Puerto Rico, for another gremmie session. I would not graduate to paipo boarding on a semi-regular basis for another year or so, initially for riding more challenging spots like Tres Palmas and Gas Chambers.
Carolina_Surfari-Time_LaPared.jpg (108.56 KiB) Viewed 3142 times
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

"The sea doth wash away all human ills."
-- Euripides.