Cool downs and leg cramps

Welcome to a general discussion group on paipo boarding.
bgreen
Big Wave Charger
City: Brisbane
State or Province: Qld

Cool downs and leg cramps

Unread post by bgreen »

I've got chronically tight calves. Sitting all day at work doesn't help and after a few hours in the surf things can get worse. Most people know about warm ups and cool downs. I seldom do either, but on a recent trip and two surfs on day 1, I was reading an article in a local paper talking about the benefits of warming up and cooling down after exercise.

I tried some of my usual stretches I do as part of my daily routine, after the surf and it seemed to make a big difference.

I'm interested to know what others do post surf? Nothing, regular routine?

Bob
Ted
Big Wave Charger
City: Las Vegas
State or Province: Nevada
Interests: HPD, Austin 50", Xylem 47"

Re: Cool downs and leg cramps

Unread post by Ted »

Nothing before or after. On occasion, I have surfed until my quads are completely cramped and in spasm. Paddling in under arm power only in rocks and big surf was not fun.
Nels
Big Wave Charger
City: Camarillo
State or Province: California

Unread post by Nels »

I either laugh or try to choke back my total disgust with people who suit up and prance down to the water and then go into some huge stretching pusedo-yoga routine at the waters edge in the most visible manner possible...especially if followed by a joyful prance out into the surf.

It was funnier when I was younger though...and much rarer to see then as well.

Never felt the need to stretch after but it definitely helps before. My previously mentioned disgust for public displays of this leave me usually taking short walks, preferably on the sand, starting on wet sand and then moving up to some dry sand. Doesn't take much or take long.

Nels
bgreen
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by bgreen »

My wife is now something of an expert on the antics of school schools. If she comes to the beach with me and there is a surf-school around, I usually get a report of the ratio of water time to antics; or an account of any particularly odd training methods.
Nels
Big Wave Charger
City: Camarillo

Unread post by Nels »

That's priceless, Bob.

Speaking of antics, there was a video of some surf girl twerking before her heats (to the annoyance of many fellow competitors) that was terribly funny. And within months she was in the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue, probably the best-selling magazine issue in the world every year. :roll:
GeoffreyLevens
Big Wave Charger
City: Paonia
State or Province: Colorado

Unread post by GeoffreyLevens »

Actually stretching before INCREASES chance of injury. You want to get muscles warmed up, blood flowing etc but not stretched. Stretch AFTER the work, surfing, gym, whatever. Stretching on non-surf days is also helpful overall. And nutritional factors can effect cramping, things like various mineral deficiencies etc. Need to figure out the specific though and not just throw things at it.
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger
City: Arbutus Land
State or Province: Maryland
Interests: Waveriding, travel and the Paipo Research Project

Unread post by rodndtube »

Warm-ups before surfing are good. I especially need them before cool/cold water surfing. The nice walks before going out at many N. Oregon breaks helps in that regard.

If now, this still helps in getting warmed up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kt1aV4GFIxY
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

"The sea doth wash away all human ills."
-- Euripides.
karuhi
Big Wave Charger
City: hokianga harbour
State or Province: northland
Interests: surfing,diving,fishing,boating,hunting.........

Unread post by karuhi »

:shock: 8-) i certainly can't see a problem with that! and that kind of warm up for lovely young ladies should be encouraged, i would certainly be warmed up after seeing that and a cold swim but be an excellent cure :lol:
jbw4600
Big Wave Charger
City: Kentfield
State or Province: CA

Unread post by jbw4600 »

Overall fitness is key. Being a weekend warrior doesn't work too well. Warming up before entering the water is helpful. But stretching right before before exercise can be counter productive. However, stretching on your days off or later after exercising will increase your flexibility. If you are consistent with your exercises over a long period of time, your flexibility will increase. Also doing cardiovascular and weight training exercises on your days will keep you in shape. I swim and kick one day a week and surf twice a week. In between I walk and do home exercises.

I also drink an electro-light drink (when I remember), which seems to help. I only cramped twice this winter, after 3 hours in the water with lots of kicking.
krusher74
Big Wave Charger
City: easkey
State or Province: co sligo
Interests: Surfing, vintage cars and motorbikes

Unread post by krusher74 »

Never done much stretching in the last 20 years, did a bit of yoga in the surf camp at G-land, mainly childs pose to stretch out my upper arms. most places i surf are a little walk from the parking to the surf so that my warm up, sometimes i jog it
skiff
Big Wave Charger
City: Central Coast

Unread post by skiff »

When I first got into this paipo thing, my lifetime kneeboard buddies all said the same thing, 'Get ready for leg cramps'. They reported that even lifelong kneelboarders have issues with cramping, but there are some things they said they work into their routine, and I've done a lot of reading to try to find out some other things. Note that virtually all of this applies to COLD WATER activities only.................you guys lucky enough to surf in warm water probably do not have quite the same issues as we do.

Things to consider:

*Starting the day before I know I'm planning a long day in the water, I begin power-loading bananas to up my potassium levels. I usually eat two the day before, then two the day off, one as I'm leaving the house and another just before I slip into my suit.

*Morning of? No coffee if you can pull it. Coffee makes you want to urinate, and that flushes the good stuff out of your system so I pass on the coffee if I'm heading out.

*Everything I've ever read says that cramping is directly related to dehydration, so I drink as much water as I can before I go out coupled with steady hydration the morning of.

*Nobody thinks a steady diet of Gatorade is good for you, but I might slam one just before my session as a water substitute. Everything in moderation...

*When I get out, I begin drinking lots of water to get re-hydrated.

*When paddling, I go easy but I go steady, trying to only 'burst kick' if I think it's really necessary. The lower volume kicking seems to extend my sessions...

That's about it!
bgreen
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by bgreen »

All sensible stuff. For me part of the problem is not surfing, then when I get into the water not wanting to come out. Maybe there is treatment for this.

Bob