Double-dipping...

Welcome to a general discussion group on paipo boarding.
nomastomas
Big Wave Charger
City: Ojai
State or Province: CA
Interests: Surfing, cycling and fishing

Double-dipping...

Unread post by nomastomas »

I've developed this new approach where I surf my surfboards for a couple of hours, all the while scouting out potential peaks that will work well with my T-Belly. Then, after a brief rest and some nourishment, I grab the TB, my fins and finish off the day with a couple of hours of b-boarding. Today was just such a day, and I gotta say my TB sesh offered just as much stoke as my LB sesh. Truth be told, I'm starting to ride my surfboards more out of obligation (I try to ride all my shapes,but...) and can't wait to get the TB in the water. Today, I put a sealer coat on a TBG3 in between surf sessions, so it was really a complete day.

I turn 67 next week, and I've started to accept the fact that at some point I just won't be able to get up on a surfboard. I see older guys in their 70s struggling with this all the time. But now I know that, as long as I can kick, I still can ride waves on my TB!
"This is a paipo site...isn't it?"
www.tp4surf.com
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger
City: Arbutus Land
State or Province: Maryland
Interests: Waveriding, travel and the Paipo Research Project

Re: Double-dipping...

Unread post by rodndtube »

Confessions provide release ;) Continue to enjoy your journey.
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

"The sea doth wash away all human ills."
-- Euripides.
bgreen
Big Wave Charger
City: Brisbane
State or Province: Qld

Unread post by bgreen »

As the song goes;

"It’s been the ruin of many a poor boy And God I know I’m one"

Bob
krusher74
Big Wave Charger
City: easkey
State or Province: co sligo
Interests: Surfing, vintage cars and motorbikes

Unread post by krusher74 »

One thing I have found is if the conditions are not to my liking that day (small/onshore etc) if i take out one of my high performance boards I am usually unhappy with the fact that I cant really perform to its strengths.

SoI have started to take out various boards in bad conditions, then the fun of make the new/old, to big to small board just function and get down the line is enough to make bad surf fun.

On my last trip on smaller days I took a handplane or a surfmatt out in what would have been hard to get excited about surf and had a blast just trying to work out how to even basically surf these new craft

I even have a board with fin boxes on now, so trying out fins!! :shock:
PhillyViking
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by PhillyViking »

You have to say what's true .. Our age, apitude, and experience have to be considered when designing or selecting a ride du jur. I am 61 with the usual set of issues and spend more time in an office than in the surf. I love the feel of finless surf mats and wood paipo but each present challenges as conditions get more critical. If I could be uber I could rise to the challenge .. Other remarkable people do. However, I am a mere mortal and mortals just want to have fun.

So, for my current stint on the North Shore I had my paipo fitted with fin options. That immediatly improved my capability to turn, drive and hold lines.. I made waves that otherwise would not work out so well. Actually, since I am using small fins (FCS Nubsters) I am pleased to say that the board still feels natural. I give up being a purest but get more control and only give up unintentional slide slipping.

Perhaps in my next life I will complete the purest journey. In the mean time there is nothing to prove . We just have the wisdom that we can find the greatest joy in the surf if we get real about who we are.
krusher74
Big Wave Charger
City: easkey
State or Province: co sligo
Interests: Surfing, vintage cars and motorbikes

Unread post by krusher74 »

PhillyViking wrote:You have to say what's true .. Our age, apitude, and experience have to be considered when designing or selecting a ride du jur. I am 61 with the usual set of issues and spend more time in an office than in the surf. I love the feel of finless surf mats and wood paipo but each present challenges as conditions get more critical. If I could be uber I could rise to the challenge .. Other remarkable people do. However, I am a mere mortal and mortals just want to have fun.

So, for my current stint on the North Shore I had my paipo fitted with fin options. That immediatly improved my capability to turn, drive and hold lines.. I made waves that otherwise would not work out so well. Actually, since I am using small fins (FCS Nubsters) I am pleased to say that the board still feels natural. I give up being a purest but get more control and only give up unintentional slide slipping.

Perhaps in my next life I will complete the purest journey. In the mean time there is nothing to prove . We just have the wisdom that we can find the greatest joy in the surf if we get real about who we are.

I too have been trying out nubsters on my latest endeavour board.

I think you deserve a pat on the back as they they don't provide the unslidable hold of a larger fin. I can still 360 my boar like there not even there.

you certainly have skills to harness the tiny fin area of a nubster. 8-)
nomastomas
Big Wave Charger
City: Ojai
State or Province: CA
Interests: Surfing, cycling and fishing

Unread post by nomastomas »

Be careful...Nubsters are the "gateway drug" to full four-fin sliding
"This is a paipo site...isn't it?"
www.tp4surf.com