Where to surf on Oahu

Welcome to a general discussion group on paipo boarding.
SJB
Big Wave Charger
City: Santa Barbara
State or Province: CAL

Where to surf on Oahu

Unread post by SJB »

Family and I will be vacationing on Lanaki beach on Oahu over Christmas/New Year. Waves on our windward side location look to be kinda like Waikiki.....unless they have some size on them ....... long board heaven with boring rides straight toward shore.
Not looking for North Shore ER visit......sweet spot is head high give or take with some sections to beat.
Will have a car. Any suggestions on where I might find some fun waves and be welcome on my Austin during that time of year? Diamond Head or?
Thanks beforehand for any advice offered.
RNT808
Tube master
City: Makawao
State or Province: Hawaii

Re: Where to surf on Oahu

Unread post by RNT808 »

Do you mean Lanikai? lanikai is a beach community on the windward side of Oahu, sort of an old suburb of the town of Kailua. If that's the place you'll be staying you shouldn't have any problem finding some waves, especially if you're going during the winter.

I grew up in Kailua and spent a lot of time surfing and riding paipo in the area. Kailua Bay has about 6 or 7 miles of beach and in my younger days we surfed the beach breaks all along it. Right at the beginning of Lanikai there is a place called Flat Island, it's right off of the Lanikai Boat Ramp. There is a break next to the island that is a long board spot.

If you are going to have some wheels then there's all kinds of pretty good breaks to choose from. Makapuu is a fairly short drive away and at one time it was "paipo central". I'm not too sure about the scene there now but back in the the day it was the place for paipo. A little down the road is Sandy Beach another great spot. Sandy's is more of a bodysurfing and bodyboard spot and can be kind of dangerous but can also be a blast.

Oahu is really not that big and if you have a car you can find plenty of good waves without having to drive too far.
Last edited by RNT808 on Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spudnut
Big Wave Charger
City: Ventura
State or Province: Ca
Interests: Surfing, Kites, Yo-yo's

Unread post by spudnut »

SJB,

Wouldn't it be fun to take my family along to play too?!!!!

That is an awesome way to ring in the new year.
SJB
Big Wave Charger
City: Santa Barbara
State or Province: CAL

Unread post by SJB »

Thanks RNT.....yes I mean Lanikai. I appreciate your suggestions. Now what about
that super secret spot you are keeping to yourself? Just kidding.
Spudnut.....we are there 12/23-1/2. We have a full house but there are other
rental houses available. Make it happen. PM me about the waves at Dumpsters today.
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger
City: Arbutus Land
State or Province: Maryland
Interests: Waveriding, travel and the Paipo Research Project

Unread post by rodndtube »

There are really a number of opportunities to ride surf on the North Shore area, and West Shore, if you mind your Ps & Qs. It would be a shame not to ride some of the reefs out there. I am not suggesting some of the focal points such as Pipeline -- too much of a zoo unless the weather is crappy by Hawaiian standards and the swell if running small -- I did get to ride Pipeline on a super small but very fun day there many Aprils ago, about 6 foot faces with only 3 to 5 of us out, 3 bodyboarders and two shortboarders.
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

"The sea doth wash away all human ills."
-- Euripides.
OG-AZN
Big Wave Charger
City: Oakland
State or Province: CA

Unread post by OG-AZN »

SJB: I'll likely be on O'ahu visiting family during the holidays. Don't know how much time I'll have to surf, but I can give you some info before your trip, and while you're there. Send me a PM if you want. I grew up in Kailua too. There's a far paddle reef spot in front of the "Moks" - Mokulua Islands right off Lanikai Beach that's regularly surfed (mostly long boarded) even on the typical trade wind mush swells. I don't know what happened, but even grom size waves seem a lot rarer at Kailua Shorebreak these days. What you need for the Kailua/Lanikai area is a big North wrap or NE swell, with north or Kona winds. All kinds of rare spots from the Moks to the Base start showing then, both reef & beach break. If you have a military connection, you have to check "Base" (Kane'ohe MCBH) no matter what. I'm not sure if they're allowing any civilian access these days, but the waves there are all time..