Oahu and the Big Island

Welcome to a general discussion group on paipo boarding.
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger
City: Arbutus Land
State or Province: Maryland
Interests: Waveriding, travel and the Paipo Research Project

Oahu and the Big Island

Unread post by rodndtube »

I depart in 13 days and should have my toes in the sand and the tropical waters of Oahu just two weeks from today. I am staying on the northern end of the North Shore and just south of Kailua-Kona. Doubt there will be tons of paipo research going on -- at least the "formal" kind. More like some hanging out at a couple of noted paipo spots on Oahu which I haven't done before -- my past waveriding has been at the Diamondhead Lighthouse peak, Kaisers, Laniakea, south of Haleiwa and north of Sunset, and a couple of other places.

This will be my first "pleasure" trip -- work sent me to Oahu 6 times between 1990 and 2005, and I usually tacked on a few days in the beginning and a day or two on the end. A couple of local guys, Neal Miyake and Bud of the 808forums, have shown me around a bit which helped out quite a bit. Never been to any of the other Islands. I will be Oahu for just over a week and on the Big Island for another week and change.

Am open to suggestions! Especially on the Big Island. I have sent an email to Gus Acosta (Wave Arrow, on the Big Island) and plan to be in contact with John Clark and Bud Scelsa in the very near future. No Sandy Beach shore pounders for me... I will stick to the reefs :)

PM me for contact info. Let's go surfing!
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

"The sea doth wash away all human ills."
-- Euripides.
bgreen
Big Wave Charger
City: Brisbane
State or Province: Qld

Re: Oahu and the Big Island

Unread post by bgreen »

Rod,

Isn't Paul Lindbergh on the big Island? I always found him approachable. Neal will know John Galera.
I gather the paipo aren't on display at the Bishop museum like they used to be. That could be a very interesting detour. Larry Goddard would probably be happy to chat.

Enjoy the trip.

Bob
spudnut
Big Wave Charger
City: Ventura
State or Province: Ca
Interests: Surfing, Kites, Yo-yo's

Unread post by spudnut »

Paul Lindbergh is definitely on the Big Island. I believe he lives outside the Hilo area. I have talked with him on the phone and he has always been very helpful as well as nice.
OG-AZN
Big Wave Charger
City: Oakland
State or Province: CA

Unread post by OG-AZN »

If the waves are at least 4ft Hawaiian at Makapu'u, you'll probably see some paipo boarders there. You'll have to take the skegs off that Austin, or surf before 9am or after 5pm though. Depending on swell and sand movement, check the Pupukea area; and you might like the rights off the Turtle Bay pool. Both are "less" crowded alternatives that can still have decent paipo waves.
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger

OG-AZN wrote:If the waves are at least 4ft Hawaiian at Makapu'u, you'll probably see some paipo boarders there. You'll have to take the skegs off that Austin, or surf before 9am or after 5pm though. Depending on swell and sand movement, check the Pupukea area; and you might like the rights off the Turtle Bay pool. Both are "less" crowded alternatives that can still have decent paipo waves.
Does that no-skegs rule apply ot Makapu`u when it it breaking further out? I was wondering about that. And yes about Turtle Bay. There is also a nice left out in the bay from the point when 5+ foot faces begin rolling in.
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

-- Euripides.
OG-AZN
Big Wave Charger
City: Oakland
State or Province: CA

Unread post by OG-AZN »

Yeah, the rule applies outside or inside. If there's swell, the spot next door "Suicides" can be fun too. Solid wave, but not anywhere as sketchy as the name makes it sound by island standards. If there's a big North wrap swell, you can try to get a boat ride to surf Rabbit Island, or make the long sketchy paddle from shore. Sandys Full Point would probably be fun on that Austin on a big north swell too. You can connect all the way to the shorebreak if you get a good one on those days. Might be too early in the year for that kind of swell though.
Ted
Big Wave Charger
City: Las Vegas
State or Province: Nevada
Interests: HPD, Austin 50", Xylem 47"

Unread post by Ted »

Rod,

We will have a NNE rolling through next Monday/Tuesday. Would be fun for Waipio.

I'll see if we can arrange a surf with Paul Lindbergh; he has been super helpful in my conversion from sponger to paipo rider.

Pray for NNW swell from 290 to 325 degrees.

Ted
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger

That sounds great! I don't roll onto the Big Island until the evening of Sunday, Oct 30th and depart for home on Nov 8th. Looks like most mornings will be free and my two buddies and wife will be adjusting to the 6-hr time change but mornings will be easiest for them as well (except for Day 1 lol). Many afternoons will also be free but some will be tied up with wedding events. Fortunately, both the bride and groom surf :)

Look forward to meeting ya'll real soon.
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

-- Euripides.