Selling boards

Welcome to a general discussion group on paipo boarding.
nomastomas
Big Wave Charger
City: Ojai
State or Province: CA
Interests: Surfing, cycling and fishing

Re: Selling boards

Unread post by nomastomas »

Its the dilemma of every novice shaper; surfcraft construction cost money, but few people want a surfcraft from a novice shaper. And, fewer still want a non-mainstream surfcraft like a prone-board. Every novice shaper has to subsidize his "addiction" with a "day job". Twelve years ago, when I started, I lost $100 of material cost on every board I built. This was the case for the first couple of years. Eventually, as my shapes improved, I was able to break even cost-wise, and then eventually I began to make some profit. Of course all the profit went right back in to tools and materials for the addiction. The established shapers community will tolerate your under-pricing them until the quality of your work is seen as a threat to their market. Then you have to increase your prices to avoid being ostracized by your shaper peers. Of course, then you have to swim with the sharks, competing with shapers who have 20-30yr of experience building and selling boards in the same community. And I'm not talking about the Rustys or Als. For every big name there are hundreds of "underground" local shapers who are extremely proficient at there craft, all competing for the same customers. For the shaper specializing in prone boards, the path is even more difficult. Why? Because, as you have discovered, the market for prone boards is only a fraction of what it is for surfboards. (BTW, the surfboard market has been in a depression since last Fall despite the El Nino surf boost. One of the largest producers, CI, is no longer farming-out glassing work as a result) Oddly, over the past 12 months I sold more prone-boards than surfboards. So, the customers are out there, but you have to find them. And you have to be willing to ship anywhere. Dedicated prone-riders are everywhere except here in SoCal where you can count them on one hand. Bad news as a shaper, but good news as a prone-board rider. I hate competing for waves when I don't have an advantage. My G4 allows me to compete with the shortboarders, find and surf isolated peaks, surf small but perfectly formed waves, and go out on the biggest days. I'm really glad there aren't 20 other guys on prone boards at my local break, or at some of the "secret" spots I frequent.
"This is a paipo site...isn't it?"
www.tp4surf.com
belly rider
Big Wave Charger
City: Florence
State or Province: Tuscany
Interests: A True Passion for Paipo & Kneeboards

Unread post by belly rider »

Hi jbw4600
this is Belly rider-- you mentioned you have three boards for sale
What boards are they? Brand name/shaper ? Size- length width thickness ? Polyester or Epoxy??
Got any pictures?? You can contact me at david.rigo@email.com
its all about the ride
Pes78
Big Wave Charger
City: San Diego
State or Province: CALIFORNIA

Unread post by Pes78 »

I price my boards to at least cover the glassing since that my biggest expense. But you are finding someone is tough, I haven't done clist in a while because it's to much of a hassle.
Poobah
Big Wave Charger
City: Lucerne

Unread post by Poobah »

Sort of a board swap possible at the paipo gathering on October 8th and 9th at El Cap. Maybe bring one or two boards to sell, but just put a piece of blue masking tape that says, "make offer" on the bottom of the nose. Sort of a conversation starter for the campground lookyloos.
Pes78
Big Wave Charger
City: San Diego
State or Province: CALIFORNIA

Unread post by Pes78 »

Well what a difference a week makes. Sold both boards today and the single fin hull I did sold at another shop a couple days ago. Didn't sell them what I wanted them for but I was able to cover my glassing on the one that's being glassed. The guy that bought the green resin swirl said to me he was surfing at DMJ's the other day and saw a bodyboarder getting barrelled. I said well one of these will fit the bill. So I'm pretty happy about selling the boards. Only problem is I have nothing to surf. :evil:
nomastomas
Big Wave Charger
City: Ojai
Interests: Surfing, cycling and fishing

Unread post by nomastomas »

yep, that's the other side of successful board sales. DMJs perfect for prone board..fast barreling left off a jetty. No hesitation about going "backside" or dropping in late. Ponto is similar. I'm always hoping that Ponto will be working on my infrequent trips to SD.
"This is a paipo site...isn't it?"
www.tp4surf.com