Things prone in general

Welcome to a general discussion group on paipo boarding.
Pes78
Big Wave Charger
City: San Diego
State or Province: CALIFORNIA

Re: Things prone in general

Unread post by Pes78 »

I reread your interview and now remember the board. Interesting about the soft boards as there are some new ones out that may be worth looking into. Formula fun which is part of Marko I think have a fish softboard that could a combo knee/paipo like your soft board. And INT have a few new boards out and both companies make them here. If and when I ever get a chance to travel these may be a good option.
flojo
Big Wave Charger
City: Ventura County
State or Province: california
Interests: bike riding, surfing, music

Unread post by flojo »

Hey Pes..I have a softech rocket 50 that works well as a bodyboard for me. As the name implies, it is 50 inches long. It is a little too short towork as a knee board for me—(I am 6 ft, 180 lbs)., but I have heard of others that have used it as a knee board.

They make a bigger board that I have been eyeballing as a prone/kneeboard hybrid. It is called the “torpedo” and is 5’4”.

These boards come with fcs fin boxes and the fins can be changed, or ridden finless-whatever floats your boat.
Pes78
Big Wave Charger
City: San Diego
State or Province: CALIFORNIA

Unread post by Pes78 »

Yeah flojo I've seen those and was looking into them at one point. It's funny I was getting out of the water today and couple guys I know were asking if they could try my board. The thing is they wanted to try surfing it standing up. These guys surf pretty well and I think they could do it, will be interesting to see though.
Nels
Big Wave Charger
City: Camarillo
State or Province: California

Unread post by Nels »

I've seen various EPS softboards and have wondered about them...especially about their durability. Traditional bodyboard materials are stronger but crease. With something like Softech I wonder if they snap or if you can grip them hard enough to seriously dent. I take ridiculous care of my boards so they tend to last a long time, but with EPS soft equipment being used in an alt manner...lot of unknowns there.
flojo
Big Wave Charger
City: Ventura County
State or Province: california
Interests: bike riding, surfing, music

Unread post by flojo »

The rocket 50 I spoke about above seems pretty sturdy. I dont think it would permanently dent from gripping or hitting a rock. It is stiff and
light. It is a little floaty but I have fun with it in mushy, junky waves. It seems pretty quick too. I have noticed some cosmetic loss of paint on the
nose but structurally, it seems sound. I only ride it prone. Its wide point is forward so I ride more up on the nose than other prone boards I have used.
It came with those keel fins that flex a little bit and I found on waves with a little bit of power, they flex too much for my taste so I swapped those out for a set of side bite type fins. I have not tried to ride it without fins. Its not the only board I ride but I always have it stashed in the back of my truck and wind up using it quite a bit.