A couple of waves in Galicia, Spain

Welcome to a general discussion group on paipo boarding.
zensuni
Big Wave Charger
City: Bordeaux
State or Province: Aquitaine

Re: A couple of waves in Galicia, Spain

Unread post by zensuni »

GeoffreyLevens wrote:Nice! Plenty there for a good time. And then of course, you get to warm up with "2nd breakfast".
2nd breakfast is part of the after surf routine, indeed :)
Ted
Big Wave Charger
City: Las Vegas
State or Province: Nevada
Interests: HPD, Austin 50", Xylem 47"

Unread post by Ted »

zensuni wrote:I rode my HPD board this afternoon.
That board is definitly more complicated to turn than my plywood board, I have been using this board occasionally for 2 years and every time I am still struggling to make a turn and avoid side slipping. I feel like I need to lift the outside rail, like on a bodyboard, but way more, otherwise it just side slips. Flat sections are easy though. But I really wonder how they manage to ride pipeline on that kind of board, I'm sure I'm missing something.
The HPD takes a different approach to ride - more like bodysurfing than board surfing. Set your hip on the inside rail with weight forward. With most of your weight on the inside rail, very slight lift on the outside rail (with trailing hand) will set the edge. The HPD likes forward balance and subtle diagonal shifts in weight from forward outside rail to back inside rail. You can get a good feel for the board by getting in bodysurf posture with arms back, face out front and using weight shift to steer.

Cranking the rail up like a bodyboard will make the board porpoise or slide out. Cranking the rail up and weighting the tail definitely doesn't work. The HPD will fly on a hard set rail, but you will need to ease onto the rail.

The HPD goes best where the wave tells you to go - let the wave dictate your path.

Good luck.
zensuni
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by zensuni »

Ted, thanks for the HPD tips, will try that.
zensuni
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by zensuni »

A foggy session this morning:
https://youtu.be/C9sFLRV_wVE

The fogg was crazy, I think it is due to the temperature that dropped down very quickly during the night.
I was with my son, it was complicated at times to find each other after a wave.
Also, it was hard to appreciate the size of incoming waves, they just popped up very quickly. That is an advantage of prone riding, you can decide to go in a second.
It is not in the video, but I tried several times to kneeboard my paipo, and failed utterly :)