Huuricane lane surf

Welcome to a general discussion group on paipo boarding.
OG-AZN
Big Wave Charger
City: Oakland
State or Province: CA

Huuricane lane surf

Unread post by OG-AZN »

Any paipo riders on Oahu up for a surf today?
OG-AZN
Big Wave Charger
City: Oakland
State or Province: CA

Re: Huuricane lane surf

Unread post by OG-AZN »

I had some fun on the paipo, but the swell from Lane wasn't that great compared to hurricane swells I remember. The storm was way over hyped by the authorities. Fwiw, the Stormsurf site called it accurately throughout - storm passing south of the islands and real swell less than 8ft. The "authorities" were calling for imminent doomsday and 15-25ft surf, even as the sun came out on Friday and surf in town was dropping well below 4ft. I had a great nostalgia surf on Thurs, stopping in Waikiki before an appointment. I found free parking & super clean waves from Publics to Cunhas at about 2-4ft w/ light crowds. Surf was just big enough to break at Cunhas, but was pretty swamped by extra high tide. Sets were inconsistent too. I hadn't surfed these spots prone in decades. I scored a couple good ones from way outside all the way in. I got some quick sessions in at Sandys & Portlock/Chinas during the trip too. It was good to see some of the old paipo uncles from back in the day still going strong, and traditional paipos still in the line up.
bgreen
Big Wave Charger
City: Brisbane
State or Province: Qld

Re: Huuricane lane surf

Unread post by bgreen »

Did you take any photos of the paipo action/riders?