Paipo Gathering - Sa/Su/Mo, Oct 5-7, 2019 El Capitan SP

Welcome to a general discussion group on paipo boarding.
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger
City: Arbutus Land
State or Province: Maryland
Interests: Waveriding, travel and the Paipo Research Project

Paipo Gathering - Sa/Su/Mo, Oct 5-7, 2019 El Capitan SP

Unread post by rodndtube »

10/5-7/2019, Sat/Sun/Mon Nights, Paipo Gathering @El Capitan State Park.

*** I will maintain up-to-date status information on this first entry of the thread ***

By way of background, a small group of us have camped and paipo surfed together the past few odd numbered years basing our venture out of the El Capitán area (up from Santa Barbara but under Point Conception). Although this may not be the absolute best time to catch the gnarliest wild waves it has coincided with my alternating year cross country trips from the Right Coast. In the coming weeks I will make a campsite reservation (after locating and checking my scribbled notes on favored and unfavored sites). In recent years we have enjoyed some surf from Ventura to Jalama. Here is to hoping the water is warmish again as my increasingly arthritic hands don't seem to care for the cold waters anymore.

Going:
Rod (#43) (Sat & Sun nights)
Kage (#46) (Sat, Sun, Mon nights, may have to cancel)
Pez (Sat, Sun, Mon nights)
Nels (possible, if can)
Dr. Robert (Sunday night)
Jeff Quam (Sunday day visitor)
NomasTomas (Sat night, into Sunday; Sunday night if surf)
James - not sure at this time but likely doubtful

Sites hold up to 3 cars but only the first vehicle at each site is covered in the daily camping fee. Additional vehicles need to pay a daily fee upon arrival to the campground. For tent campers our two sites are adjacent so tenting can be distributed. The sites also have trees/scrub bush and partial shade. The two sites should also have fairly level parking spaces for those of us that are van camping.
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

"The sea doth wash away all human ills."
-- Euripides.
kage
Big Wave Charger
City: Santa Cruz
State or Province: CA

Re: Paipo Gathering - Sa/Su/Mo, Oct 5-7, 2019 El Capitan SP

Unread post by kage »

Yes.
kage
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by kage »

Yikes! Not a very popular event it seems. What if we move it to the previous weekend Sa/Su/Mo Sept.27-30?
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger

For personal reasons I am already locked into other plans for my cross-country road trip. Popularity has declined? Well, it isn't a Swaylocks super event that is for sure! And a lot of people just don't like to plan or commit that far in advance. Or, maybe because it isn't the very best week-end in the area surf season :( Oh well... look forward to seeing you and whoever else can make it.
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

-- Euripides.
Nels
Big Wave Charger
City: Camarillo
State or Province: California

Unread post by Nels »

I can't make plans that far out, period. That's a fantastic time for southern California though. Best time of year, IMO. North of Santa Barbara gets a bit sketchy until heart of winter, but there isn't much available south of there above Malibu. Leo Carrillo to the south burned to the ground and I can't get the state parks people to so much as talk about recovery. I'll make it this time if humanly possible.

Nels
dr robert
Big Wave Charger
City: cambria
State or Province: california

Unread post by dr robert »

I'm in but I have to say..El Cap' that time of year offers limited surf opportunities. If it is happening you seriously won't be alone, and the immediate area is limited for the same reason.I would suggest Ventura (Mc Grath or Emma wood), Carpenteria, San Simeon, or Plaskett, all of which which offer far more surf choices if just a regular swell..or low swell, and better opportunity to surf in relative peace.And there you have it!
kage
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by kage »

I'm OK with any of the Dr Roberts suggestions. Would throw in Morro as an option too. If we actually got surf during one of these outings I'd probably pop a gasket. I think our record is about 0 for 0.
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger

Not sure about the current situation but the last couple of trips/events (2015, 2017), and last year (2018), there were a number of issues with most of those locations having to do with campsite closures due to lack of water, closed facilities, closed roads/wash outs... and in 2013 it was a real mess in San Simeon. In 2015, we did surf in Ventura and between Ventura and Santa Barbara and added Jalama to the mix in 2017. It appears the sites down in the Ventura-Santa Barbara area appear to be more like RV parks.
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

-- Euripides.
kage
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by kage »

I did as much calling and research as I could and came up with info below:

Carpenteria - has water and facilities. Fires OK. Very RV it's true.
San Simeon - water and facilities. Fires OK, beach is across the highway
Plaskett - water and toilets probably, fires sometimes restricted. Actually my favorite (I'm going down this weekend) but a bit dodgy on what they'll allow each season, road is open.
Emma Wood - 100% Rv. no toilets. Fooey.
McGrath - closed due to flooding!
Morro Bay - water and facilities, fires OK. Lots of Rvs, lots of camping. Lots of noise. Surfing.
El Capitan - water, facilities, fires. Also a train!

I think Rod wants to reserve a campsite - it's on a 6 mo rolling reservation dealy. Would appreciate any opinions from others who surf the area in the fall even if you're not coming.
Nels
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by Nels »

Just general comments here primarily about south of Santa Barbara....California is currently out of drought so many places that didn't have water do now. Have to check parks because many took out things like beach showers if that's important to you; that's the rinse-off showers, not camp showers. Some have those, some don't. Highway 1 through Big Sur is now open but as said subject to weather closures. October is dry season so that would be decided by May - doubtful any summer storm would close it.

Mgrath in Ventura - that was open for a while last summer but flooded again. Cannot count on it at all. This is at the Santa Clara Rivermouth so it's tidal. State Parks in California are dealing with a ton of problems this year due to fires so money will be scarce.

South of Ventura - Leo Carrillo was the largest campground and it burned last Fall. It will not reopen this summer or probably for years. I can't get anybody to make an official statement on recovery plans; they literally will not return calls. That means the other much smaller campground nearby will have to absorb the masses. Even October will probably be sold out.

Jalama...County Park. Did anybody mention that for camping?
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger

Kage is correct in my wanting to make a reservation at a high reliability of being open campground come October and he is also accurate in noting that reservations are on a rolling 6-month schedule, so this Friday, April 5th is opening date for campsite reservations on Saturday, October 5th. And the better spots go quickly and we'd like two sites together.

I have a strong preference for non-RV parking lot style rodeo sites -- also prefer some trees and scrub growth for those windy and sunny days. And showers. Those preferences plus a high probability of being open in October eliminates many on the above list. Not sure if San Simeon has showers but during the 2013/2015 camp-out the site was overrun and restrooms were trashed by late Saturday afternoon.

El Capitan at least has some favorable attributes going for it... showers, trees, central to Jalama and Ventura, and resupply. Out spots two years ago wasn't bad other than being too close to the 101 hwy, but hopefully we can get some better sites even with some ocean view. Think the train is down below so don't remember it waking me up unlike trucking noise and brakes.
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

-- Euripides.
Nels
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by Nels »

Not sure if San Simeon has showers but during the 2013/2015 camp-out the site was overrun and restrooms were trashed by late Saturday afternoon.
Sadly...weekends in San Luis Obispo County see a heavy influx of campers from inland SLO and the Central Valley. Full zoo saturation is obtainable. I can't blame them for wanting out of brutal heat. New law or regulation went into effect last September to limit the number of cars and people at campsites but that hasn't been tested in Summer yet. I skip the weekends but I currently have that luxury.

Morro Strand doesn't have showers, San Simeon didn't use to but I can't say for sure now. That area and Cambria are/were perhaps the hardest hit for drought effects other than Porterville near the Sierras. If you stay in a state park you can use pay showers at parks that do have them.
dr robert
Big Wave Charger

Morro Bay has a fantastic campground on the Back bay, and there is also Montana de or0, also fantastic. Not sure what Rod means by San Simeon being a mess..other than at capacity that time of year most likely. I live in Cambria...the MB through Big Sur sites offer the most opportunities for uncrowded waves by far of all suggested locales.
dr robert
Big Wave Charger

P.s San Simeon has always had showers..on the other hand, pick a hotel and double up per room and that solves a ton of issues.Correct about people escaping summer heat..par for the course for that time of year.
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger

dr robert wrote: Not sure what Rod means by San Simeon being a mess..other than at capacity that time of year most likely.
Campsites were jammed beyond capacity and the mess was over-flowing restrooms, walking through mounds of soiled TP, etc., by late-Saturday afternoon.
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

-- Euripides.
Pes78
Big Wave Charger
City: San Diego
State or Province: CALIFORNIA

Unread post by Pes78 »

I've stayed at Morro Bay campground a couple time and it's pretty quiet there. Also stayed at Phfier in Big Sur for a night and that had pit toilets running water but I don't think showers. What about in Kage's neck of the woods? There are a couple state parks in around the area.
kage
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by kage »

Rod and I booked two campsites 43 and 46 in El Capitan. Appreciate the input from those with inside info, but this seemed the best choice for availability, amenities, etc. Hope we will get lucky for surf and there are spots within driving distance.

As far as Santa Cruz goes for camping there's Henry Cowell - in the woods 20-40 minutes to a bunch of different spots, all the amenities and lots of trees, fills up fast. Manresa has a hike in campsite - about 1/3 mile in, and then you are at Manresa a beach break which can be OK but rarely in the summer. It's a long beach so you can always find a peak to yourself. Theres a KOA pretty close by but more RVish than beachy. Sunset is a state campground a couple miles farther down, cars OK, just like Manresa only a little windier and more fickle I think. You can drive down to Moss Landing from there which is pretty close.
Pes78
Big Wave Charger
City: San Diego
State or Province: CALIFORNIA

Unread post by Pes78 »

I'll split one of those spots with one of you guys
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger

Pes78 wrote:I'll split one of those spots with one of you guys
Great!

General Info: Additional people will need to pay a daily car fee for their vehicle upon arrival.

To second Kage, thanks to everyone for their input. I am happy we made our reservations today as the campsites were going quickly. It will be fun to hang out with the paipo people again.
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

-- Euripides.
dr robert
Big Wave Charger

Jeff Quam will be making it...watch out!