And this too shall pass...but not soon enough

Welcome to a general discussion group on paipo boarding.
Nels
Big Wave Charger
City: Camarillo
State or Province: California

And this too shall pass...but not soon enough

Unread post by Nels »

Last weekend was the 50th anniversary of my first time out on a surfboard. Small potatoes in the modern world, but a big thing for me, and the times that once were. I had intended to dust off the longboard and work through the rust and go to the same break and ride 2 or 3 waves, hopefully up on my feet. As things developed, or de-veloped, as it were, I kind of reduced to just getting wet no matter how.

Things devolved rapidly where I live in Southern California. No working into it, no water time, and by the time the event came around we were locked down tight, probably for the next few months. Would you risk death for a few crappy waves? Even without the crowds? Or the ticket and fine?

Three months ago my biggest question was whether I should spend the bucks for a 4/3 wetsuit for winter to buy myself more time in the water. I remember thinking it might be the last wetsuit I ever buy, not even because of the rising specter of a pandemic. Just because I am aging. I already have a semi new springsuit.

This too will pass. I'll celebrate the milestone the next time I have the chance to get wet. But I will not give a hoot about what I ride. "Surf culture" is dead. Sure, something resembling it will rise again as people return to the beaches. So do zombies. Times have changed.

Maybe what I'll have is less of a personal milestone such as an anniversary, and more like a graduation. Time for a New World. See you all there. Hopefully not at the same time...
kage
Big Wave Charger
City: Santa Cruz
State or Province: CA

Re: And this too shall pass...but not soon enough

Unread post by kage »

I say buy the suit. It may be the last one you buy but at least you'll be ready to ride whatever you decide is right. I'm planning on being in the water as long as possible, and my standards for performance are pretty low. At least I'll be in the water long enough to get my grandson started.
Nels
Big Wave Charger
City: Camarillo
State or Province: California

Unread post by Nels »

Since in all likelihood we won't be released to go back to the beach until late May at the earliest, current operating strategy is to keep my eye on wetsuit sales as Spring passes into Summer. Pick off a 4/3 on sale for next Fall. I'm an optimist. I think maybe all surfers are, right? We'd go mad if we were pessimists.
bgreen
Big Wave Charger
City: Brisbane
State or Province: Qld

Unread post by bgreen »

I'm pessimistic about when this will end - seems like it is 6 months, but the start of the 6 months keeps changing with talk of tougher restrictions.

Non-essential travel is banned, though my idea of essential travel doesn't match the government line. A good time to be living near the coast, though.

Having said that, I'm an optimist generally. In Oz, we're in better shape tha elsewhere but it doesn't pay to be cocky about this and it is coming at a cost.

Paipo on as the doctor says. We're hopefully planning over the flat sections.
krusher74
Big Wave Charger
City: easkey
State or Province: co sligo
Interests: Surfing, vintage cars and motorbikes

Unread post by krusher74 »

Over here in ireland I am on lockdown too, but being in such a rural area. (2weeks done, there straight into a 3week extension) i am able to sneak to some close to my house reefs that are not near any public car park or in view of anyone other than the local farmer who I'm sure could care less.

I watched this interesting video that gives some indication that a large percentage of people will have the virus and show no symptom, and point to the fact that many of us may have already had it and not even known https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZhBy64bimc&t=3s
Attachments
P1020334.JPG
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger
City: Arbutus Land
State or Province: Maryland
Interests: Waveriding, travel and the Paipo Research Project

Unread post by rodndtube »

Nice you can sneak away harmlessly and catch a few. Testing for infection and antibodies is a serious limitation in the U.S.A.
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

"The sea doth wash away all human ills."
-- Euripides.
bgreen
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by bgreen »

Gday Krusher,

I'm envious. When all is done and dusted, it would be good to catch up and have a wave or two.

Is the cafe/surf shop still open?

Bob
krusher74
Big Wave Charger

bgreen wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:01 pm Gday Krusher,

I'm envious. When all is done and dusted, it would be good to catch up and have a wave or two.

Is the cafe/surf shop still open?

Bob
No , the cafe shut a few weeks ago, we are on unemployment benefit through the government for up to 12 week as of now, tourism was ahuge part of the local income, so even if we can re-open i think it will be just a skeleton staff to cater for locals. We had avery good winter of swells, spring is here and i think it will be a long flat summer, cant even go to the golf coarse, where i played alone anyway.
bgreen
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by bgreen »

I'm no golf player, but did you ever speak to Dermott, the owner of Seasons Lodge that backs onto the golf course?
krusher74
Big Wave Charger

bgreen wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:03 pm I'm no golf player, but did you ever speak to Dermott, the owner of Seasons Lodge that backs onto the golf course?
no, I have never met him, I don't know anybody at the coarse.