Dreamtime

Welcome to a general discussion group on paipo boarding.
Nels
Big Wave Charger
City: Camarillo
State or Province: California

Dreamtime

Unread post by Nels »

Been a long year so far and for some of us in North America it's like a poop-storm that will not end. Might as well think positive though, right? I just ordered a winter wetsuit, finally. Was going to do it last winter but then the zombie apocalypse hit and you all know the rest. Flip or fly time.

So here's a video I came across this morning, looks like 6 years old now, so early generation GoPro probably but it isn't vomit-comet GoPro helmet footage. By the guy who later did "Bodysurfin The Movie" and "Bodysurfin II", the youtube classics that have gotten me through this stinking year so far. Like those two instant classics, I see new things every time I've watched this.

With any luck this will be the right video...

https://vimeo.com/97025701?fbclid=IwAR1 ... 8rhHVhk7pQ
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger
City: Arbutus Land
State or Province: Maryland
Interests: Waveriding, travel and the Paipo Research Project

Re: Dreamtime

Unread post by rodndtube »

Those are two very good YouTube movies. Really enjoying some YouTube stuff on the TV these days since the BluRay provides a great interface. Enjoy the wetsuit!
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

"The sea doth wash away all human ills."
-- Euripides.
Nels
Big Wave Charger
City: Camarillo

Unread post by Nels »

Really enjoying some YouTube stuff on the TV these days since the BluRay provides a great interface
I do the Roku box thing for watching youtube on the big TV. Mindboggling, especially these movies mentioned or linked to. I see stuff going on with waves that is almost hard to imagine even being able to see with the human eye. Plus slowed down. Plus with good music (yes, taste-dependent).

Here's where tech really has sent the "old world" to the scrap heap. The legend of Greenough, tearing apart expensive cameras and rebuilding them inside homebuilt waterproof housings...that world is gone. $400 and you have the world literally in the palm of your hand. With computers and the internet I watch daily videos of Bali surf within 24 hours of their taking, edited and in the comfort of my home half a world away. I've seen a lot of surfing around Cornwall, Japan, France, Spain, and Morroco. Some Hawaii. Watched a peak-COVID walk-around video of Waikiki at sunset, streets that I walked every day for a period decades ago now empty save for a rare masked soul. Dreamworld. Dreamtime.

I rag a lot about tech and what I see as detriments but there are positives too...
Uncle Grumpy
Big Wave Charger
City: San Clemente
Interests: Surfing, Surfboards, Surf History, Fishing, Boats, Dogs, Books

Unread post by Uncle Grumpy »

Right before the Covid hit SHACC opened an exhibit featuring Surfing in The Movies.
We had Greenough's Big Wednesday camera rig on display that weighs over 30lbs.
A Go Pro weighs a little over 4 oz.
There's also a 35MM film case carrying a copy of Jack McCoy's film Storm Riders (two reels) that weighs over 40lbs.
Of course that movie fits on a DVD, less than an oz.

If nothing else the gear is easier to handle.
GG
GG
GGcamera.jpg (119.96 KiB) Viewed 5134 times
Paipo surfer in repose,
Nose on the nose,
No grunting he-man pose.
See how fast he goes!
What is it he knows?
GeoffreyLevens
Big Wave Charger
City: Paonia
State or Province: Colorado

Unread post by GeoffreyLevens »

There's an old saying about pioneers (these days we'd call them invaders) getting arrows in their backs. In GG's case maybe more like cramps in his shoulders.