Cedar Thickness

What works and what doesn't. Share design ideas, references and contacts for paipo board builders.
matt23
Big Wave Charger
City: Rumansville
State or Province: Norfolk

Cedar Thickness

Unread post by matt23 »

Im making a friend a wr cedar board the same shape and roughly the same thickness as this paulownia board. 42x15.

http://postimage.org/image/3u8fkmqv1/

The paulownia board started out at about 12mm and has very bladey rails, its similar to another board that Ive ridden in all sorts of conditons (so I know the paulownia can take it) I started a couple of other cedar boards at 22mm thickness but decided to get it cut length ways so Ive ended up with 10mm thickness. When I glued up the blank yesterday. One plank was very concave as a result of cutting? Every time I clamped, the boards would jump out. Afer four attempts I decided to use another piece as the first bit had too much concave. Is 10mm for cedar to thin? Im concerened it might split length ways? + as the centre board has a bit of conave to it, will that weaken it?
mrmike
Big Wave Charger
City: coronado
State or Province: ca

Re: Cedar Thickness

Unread post by mrmike »

I have split a few to say the lest. 1/2" is the thinist I will go now or you will be doing a lot of this.
Attachments
CIMG0983.JPG
CIMG0982.JPG
bgreen
Big Wave Charger
City: Brisbane
State or Province: Qld

Unread post by bgreen »

Mike,

What are the three black pieces perpendicular to the crack made from and their purpose (e.g to bind the cracked halves or prevent further cracking)? Does this method generally work?

Bob
matt23
Big Wave Charger
City: Rumansville
State or Province: Norfolk

Unread post by matt23 »

Cheers Mike, its glued up so Ill finish it and see how he gets on, Ill go thicker on the next one. Thats an amazing finish, is it varnish?
mrmike
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by mrmike »

the black is ebony to hold the split together glued with epoxi. won't split there again but some other spot. I made it to thin but I realy like this board. so it will be my franken board
bgreen
Big Wave Charger
City: Brisbane
State or Province: Qld

Unread post by bgreen »

Mike,

Thanks. Is ebony for the colour contrast or does it have other qualities?

Bob
mrmike
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by mrmike »

very strong and expensive get it from old painos that people throw away (the black keys) are worth 100ers of dollars