My new SDF surfboard Paipo

What works and what doesn't. Share design ideas, references and contacts for paipo board builders.
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger
City: Arbutus Land
State or Province: Maryland
Interests: Waveriding, travel and the Paipo Research Project

Re: My new SDF surfboard Paipo

Unread post by rodndtube »

Nice!
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

"The sea doth wash away all human ills."
-- Euripides.
bgreen
Big Wave Charger
City: Brisbane
State or Province: Qld

Unread post by bgreen »

Krusher,

Do you recall this specific wave? A nice wave & photo. My eye was drawn firstly to how much of the board was out of the water (it looks like just a tail corner is in the water) and then the wake - which is quite different to that in the photo at the top of the forum page (John Galera at Jockos) - it looks like a lot of water has been gouged.

Any other takes on this?

Bob
krusher74
Big Wave Charger
City: easkey
State or Province: co sligo
Interests: Surfing, vintage cars and motorbikes

Unread post by krusher74 »

bgreen wrote:Krusher,

Do you recall this specific wave? A nice wave & photo. My eye was drawn firstly to how much of the board was out of the water (it looks like just a tail corner is in the water) and then the wake - which is quite different to that in the photo at the top of the forum page (John Galera at Jockos) - it looks like a lot of water has been gouged.

Any other takes on this?

Bob

I have seen if quite few of my bodyboarding photos that only a small back corner is in the water. I dont think we travel on a large area of the board unless were on a powerless wave or literally going in a straight line (taking off)
I don't remember this specific wave, but a lot of the drops at this cali beach break are very fast and powerful, and from what I can see that would be me just bottom turning onto the section, its always been interesting to see pic of myself as you see your self in all sorts of positions you never thought you got in.

Here is a friend on a paipoglide wood board,on the back corner too.
Attachments
beano 2.jpg
beano TSB.jpg
krusher74
Big Wave Charger

I did a close up on the photo, maybe i use my leg/hip as an extension of the board.
Attachments
DSC_0262-001.JPG
DSC_0262-001.JPG (79.46 KiB) Viewed 5431 times
Uncle Grumpy
Big Wave Charger
City: San Clemente
State or Province: California
Interests: Surfing, Surfboards, Surf History, Fishing, Boats, Dogs, Books

Unread post by Uncle Grumpy »

bgreen wrote:My eye was drawn firstly to how much of the board was out of the water(it looks like just a tail corner is in the water) Bob
krusher74 wrote:I have seen if quite few of my bodyboarding photos that only a small back corner is in the water. I dont think we travel on a large area of the board unless were on a powerless wave or literally going in a straight line (taking off)
This is basic stuff surfboard design stuff boys. That inside back corner does all the work. ;)

Please take the time to read the first few chapters of this http://www.hollowsurfboards.com/documen ... le1977.pdf
and perhaps print it out and keep it handy when thinking about your next new surf toy.

You'll be happy you did. :ugeek:
Paipo surfer in repose,
Nose on the nose,
No grunting he-man pose.
See how fast he goes!
What is it he knows?
bgreen
Big Wave Charger
City: Brisbane
State or Province: Qld

Unread post by bgreen »

Uncle G,

Thanks. There are indeed ties but the question of weighting has to be different, with someone with feet apart vs body weight. Rather than hijack Krusher's thread, I started a new thread on bottom turns, with 2 photos - a more conventional on rail turn and board barely in the water. I'd be interested in your comments regarding the wave tracks left behind.

Bob
krusher74
Big Wave Charger

Just an update to say the board is now over a year old, poor think is hammered but still rides great.

love it in 1ft welsh waves and double over head aboard.

It has so far been beyond my own surfing capability's to find a line to draw that this board will not handle without problems. Never looses a rail, Tight arcs through buckets and unbelievable in the barrel.

I have now started to try to do top turns like a stand up surfer, something i never even tried on a bodyboard. :D
Attachments
1.jpg
2.jpg
gland turn.jpg
GeoffreyLevens
Big Wave Charger
City: Paonia
State or Province: Colorado

Unread post by GeoffreyLevens »

Just read your interview with Bob. Great stuff! Brings up question or two. You have already posted most of relevant dims but I'd love to know nose rocker is you set straight edge along bottom so that it shows the 1/4 inch tail rocker you mentioned, what is the nose rocker?

Also, big part of riding dynamics as you inferred in the interview is how the board "sits' against your body, so other very relevant numbers would be perhaps your top of shoulder to hip length and your outside edge to edge shoulder width. I remember getting mat from Dale Solomonson years ago and he had me send those and a couple others I don't remember. But I do clearly remember first lying on the mat in the water and feeling like it "fit". As I think GG was trying to design, throttle, break, steering wheel all right there at hand without scooting around on it; a lot like a jet fighter plane really!
GeoffreyLevens
Big Wave Charger

Edited above for mo' bettah' number--"hip" to shoulder

Hip = if you rotate leg back and forth and feel for the bump on outer side near top i.e. greater trochanter, which is very close to same as crease across the front. Later, more time, I will post the "why"...
GeoffreyLevens
Big Wave Charger

Why I am curious about body vs board dimensions is contemplating similar design but for my body AND would fit inside a big but checkable on airlines suitcase; running total of outer dimensions for suitcase need to be equal to or less then 62". 38X19 is right at the 2:1 Lord dimensions, and adds up to 57 inches leaving 5 for thickness. Forget trying to find a huge but skinny suitcase and just build padded, reinforced 1/8" or even 1/4" plywood box (you are allowed 50lbs total on most airlines). Turns out, all the bodyboard sites suggest right around that size for my height/weight...

Bring fins, trunks, underwear, tooth brush, bag of granola, sunscreen in carry on and go anywhere.
GeoffreyLevens
Big Wave Charger

Was just now in bed about 3/4 asleep and woke my self all the way up laughing when this idea popped into my head. If I make a board similar to this, and I well may sometime. I will call it
TUNA BOOGER
And here's the logo, just need to get it printed on rice paper or some such
krusher74
Big Wave Charger

I'm 5.10 and my hip to shoulder seems to measure about 19".

The oldskool bodyboard size method has always been get one that is that come up to your belly button from the floor.

in 20 years of bodyboaring I never went smaller than 41.5 and never bigger that 42.5, preferring extra width and or thickness int he board for smaller less powerfull waves than ever going longer. The 42.5 I sold to a 6ft friend which felt horribly huge to me.

My paipo was made from a template drawn around a 41.75 board. bu measures 44" with the cosmetic pointy nose I gave it.

I can's measure nose rocker right now but will as soon as can :D
GeoffreyLevens
Big Wave Charger

Thanks, K. That is interesting as I am only 5'3" and my hip-->shoulder is almost exactly 19" as well (long torso, short arms legs though not really a dwarf!). Years ago I had a 40" bb and though I liked the paddle speed and easy take-offs it felt a bit "big" riding it; not unwieldy but just took a lot of body English and crawling around though that could easily have been from the width and thickness in relation to my weight and "width"
GeoffreyLevens
Big Wave Charger

Of course could have been my lack of skill too since I rode mostly stand-up hard boards at the time
GeoffreyLevens
Big Wave Charger

A bit hard to tell from the photos, and you may have said and I missed it, but front part of board, did you keep the flat angled, bodyboard style rail, just w/ belly instead of flat bottom, or did you actually soften out and then blend the rail into an actual round, Simmons style rail up front?
krusher74
Big Wave Charger

GeoffreyLevens wrote:A bit hard to tell from the photos, and you may have said and I missed it, but front part of board, did you keep the flat angled, bodyboard style rail, just w/ belly instead of flat bottom, or did you actually soften out and then blend the rail into an actual round, Simmons style rail up front?
Around half way up the board the chine transitions into a round up rail to the nose.
krusher74
Big Wave Charger

GeoffreyLevens wrote:Thanks, K. That is interesting as I am only 5'3" and my hip-->shoulder is almost exactly 19" as well (long torso, short arms legs though not really a dwarf!). Years ago I had a 40" bb and though I liked the paddle speed and easy take-offs it felt a bit "big" riding it; not unwieldy but just took a lot of body English and crawling around though that could easily have been from the width and thickness in relation to my weight and "width"
Crawling around would make me think the board was to big, you get what you put into a bodyboard, I find driving hard through my hip and elbow onto the inside rail is the key to drive.

I measured my board today for you the nose rocker is 3" , bare in mind is has a simmons belly nose an up rails.

I would love to have my design in balsa are you anywhere near these guys?

http://www.balsasurfers.com/balsablanks.html
GeoffreyLevens
Big Wave Charger

Thanks for all the follow-up info. That balsa site, same country but about 12-15 hours away by bus. If I got serious about surfing here, that is who I would go to though unless I went to Ace from the US who has been visiting for years and currently staying in Playas down the coast from Montañita. Have emailed couple times w/ Rasty's wife. Seem like great, high integrity folks.

My secondary goal in making a board similar to yours but a bit smaller for my frame, is to be able to put in a suitcase so that limits dimensions somewhat. My floor to navel (bodyboard standard measure) is only about 36" so I could go 36X19 or 20 and have plenty of room for rocker and still hit under the limit of outside case L+W+H = 62" or less. Maybe even room in the box/case for my mat! Probably ought to revisit some rental bb various sizes to get a feel for what's too short, too long, and just right.
GeoffreyLevens
Big Wave Charger

Just found this tidbit on Ben Severson Body Boards site. I am pretty out of the loop but have never seen bb with this.
http://www.benseverson.com/index.php/design-effects
I DEVELOPED THE ROUNDED RAIL THAT FADES TO 50/50 AND THE ROUNDED SQUARE TAIL. THERE HAVE BEEN ALLOT OF OTHER DESIGNS BUT THEY HAVE NOT BEEN PUT INTO PRODUCTION....

RAILS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR HOW THE WATER WILL BE DISPLACED. THE RAIL PENETRATES THE WATER CREATING A TRACK ON THE WATER SURFACE THAT THE REST OF THE BOARD RIDES ON. AS THE RAIL PENETRATES THE SURFACE RESISTANCE IS CREATED . THE LARGER THE RAIL THE BIGGER THE TRACK AND THE MORE RESISTANCE. SOME BOARDS NEED THIS TO HELP THEM TO HOLD IN TO THE WAVE. THE 70/30 RAIL IS USED TO DO THIS , IT WILL HELP TO COMPENSATE FOR A WIDE TAIL OR IF THERE ARE NO CHANNELS. 50/50 RAILS WILL CREATE A SMALLER TRACK AND PENETRATE THE WATER EASIER BECAUSE THERE IS LESS AREA.THER BY CREATING LESS RESISTANCE. THE ROUNDED RAIL IS DESIGNED TO CREATE THE LEAST RESISTANCE BY USING A ROUND SURFACE TO PENETRATE THE WATER INSTEAD OF A FLAT SURFACE THIS INCREASES SPEED.
krusher74
Big Wave Charger

GeoffreyLevens wrote:Just found this tidbit on Ben Severson Body Boards site. I am pretty out of the loop but have never seen bb with this.
http://www.benseverson.com/index.php/design-effects
I DEVELOPED THE ROUNDED RAIL THAT FADES TO 50/50 AND THE ROUNDED SQUARE TAIL. THERE HAVE BEEN ALLOT OF OTHER DESIGNS BUT THEY HAVE NOT BEEN PUT INTO PRODUCTION....

RAILS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR HOW THE WATER WILL BE DISPLACED. THE RAIL PENETRATES THE WATER CREATING A TRACK ON THE WATER SURFACE THAT THE REST OF THE BOARD RIDES ON. AS THE RAIL PENETRATES THE SURFACE RESISTANCE IS CREATED . THE LARGER THE RAIL THE BIGGER THE TRACK AND THE MORE RESISTANCE. SOME BOARDS NEED THIS TO HELP THEM TO HOLD IN TO THE WAVE. THE 70/30 RAIL IS USED TO DO THIS , IT WILL HELP TO COMPENSATE FOR A WIDE TAIL OR IF THERE ARE NO CHANNELS. 50/50 RAILS WILL CREATE A SMALLER TRACK AND PENETRATE THE WATER EASIER BECAUSE THERE IS LESS AREA.THER BY CREATING LESS RESISTANCE. THE ROUNDED RAIL IS DESIGNED TO CREATE THE LEAST RESISTANCE BY USING A ROUND SURFACE TO PENETRATE THE WATER INSTEAD OF A FLAT SURFACE THIS INCREASES SPEED.
I don't know what Ben does these days, I think he just makes custom boards for Hawaii, I ad one of his transitional rail boards about 15 years ago, I also had a square tail with rounded back corners, it was the loosest bb I have ever had, it was a PE core and one of the few boards I have creased.

If you have short legs it sounds like the belly button method would be wrong for you seeing you have a shoulder to hip measurement the same as me, I would say a 38/39 inn PP core with a stringer would be good for you. steer clear of the PE cores for your warm water.

I would suggest a custom from toobz, they can even do a central concave in the rear of the board like my paipo http://www.toobs.com/store/Hand-shaped-Bodyboards/