My new SDF surfboard Paipo

What works and what doesn't. Share design ideas, references and contacts for paipo board builders.
krusher74
Big Wave Charger
City: easkey
State or Province: co sligo
Interests: Surfing, vintage cars and motorbikes

Re: My new SDF surfboard Paipo

Unread post by krusher74 »

kage wrote:
what happens when forcing the nose down on a bodyboard catching a wave, whether i'm keeping the board flat, forcing reverse rocker, but some how the paipo's boyancey and stiffness bounces back at me
I think you need to back your weight off the board a bit and push the board forward. The "bend" that was the shape of the body board should be a combination of the arm and paipo. Hard to say, but it works for me.
I have seen that method used,but it not for me. I dont like the fact that when you then catch the wave you ave to get yourself up forward as your taking off.

Its very hard to describe these things in the written word for me. With the forcing the nose down i;m talking about chasing waves that longboarders are struggling to catch, its a way I have found to catch a flat wave.

I will have to come up to santa cruz and we can have a surf and board swap, suwer peak at pleasures is my fav, but I also like hassling the longboarders at 38th ave. Where are your fav waves in santa cruz?
jbw4600
Big Wave Charger
City: Kentfield
State or Province: CA

Unread post by jbw4600 »

I converted over to fiberglass paipo boards from bodyboards about a year ago. (Although I had a couple fiberglass paipo boards in the 70s.) I took me about 8 months to really master the paipo. My board is bigger than yours and has twin fins. I am about 6 feet 205 lbs. My board is 51 inches by 22 inches. One of the main differences that I have found is that on a bodyboard I would drive hard on the front of the board to get into a wave. Also I would press in hard on the forward inside rail with my elbow.to hold a line on the steeper part of a wave (Thats why most bodyboards are wider in the front.) On my paipo I let the board do more of the work. Ie I don't drive forward as much and I don't dig in the rail as much. I was peerling a lot when I first got the board. But my board has fins and they take care of the hold and also help drive through slower sections. Anyway it takes awhile to get used to them. Also without the flex I find that I have to hold my board out in front of me sometimes when on a steep drop, but my back takes beating a lot without the flex. But I will never go back. I hope that helps.
krusher74
Big Wave Charger

jbw4600 wrote:I converted over to fiberglass paipo boards from bodyboards about a year ago. (Although I had a couple fiberglass paipo boards in the 70s.) I took me about 8 months to really master the paipo. My board is bigger than yours and has twin fins. I am about 6 feet 205 lbs. My board is 51 inches by 22 inches. One of the main differences that I have found is that on a bodyboard I would drive hard on the front of the board to get into a wave. Also I would press in hard on the forward inside rail with my elbow.to hold a line on the steeper part of a wave (Thats why most bodyboards are wider in the front.) On my paipo I let the board do more of the work. Ie I don't drive forward as much and I don't dig in the rail as much. I was peerling a lot when I first got the board. But my board has fins and they take care of the hold and also help drive through slower sections. Anyway it takes awhile to get used to them. Also without the flex I find that I have to hold my board out in front of me sometimes when on a steep drop, but my back takes beating a lot without the flex. But I will never go back. I hope that helps.
yeah, you have described exactly how I bodyboard also. The Curve of my paipo is copied exactly off my fave bodyboard, so still reacts well to that drive through the elbow, as you said i have to get a lot further back on steep drops on the paipo that with the bodyboard with the lack of flex.

You board sounds about the same size as mine in relation to your body weight height. Great to hear a full convert to the paipo.

The surfs looking great as a really barrely beach near me tomorrow so i will be take both boards and giving them both a equal share. ;)
krusher74
Big Wave Charger

Got in on the board again at a different break i had not surfed on it yet, 3ft and clean Aframe beach break.

The more I surf this board the more I like it, it drove through some barrels today I don't think I would have got out of on my bodyboard, finding it super easy to catch waves on now.

It's quite interesting surfing it compared to the bodyboard, I can really feel the difference in bottom shape, the bodyboard being flat and bending flat to the wave and the paipo having V and feeling like it rocks a little transitioning from rail to rail.
spudnut
Big Wave Charger
City: Ventura
State or Province: Ca
Interests: Surfing, Kites, Yo-yo's

Unread post by spudnut »

I just realized that the dimensions of this board are very close to my latest plypo. The maneuverability is amazing given that it still has plenty of speed and hold.
krusher74
Big Wave Charger

Well I managed to get some video today, I just used my camera (don't have a camcorder) its shoots in 720pHD, but the only thing is they only let you shoot 29.59 minutes any longer and they have to call it a camcorder,lol

Anyway with no tripod and the camera stuck on a rock I just got out there and tried to grab loads some waves, I was getting the first waves of the set most of the time as you would have not been able to see the ones behind as the camera was not high enough.
This is a local reef with the tide going out, I ended up being in 3 1/3 hours as it was 4/6ft clean and barreling on the way in,shame i could not have got video of that. anywho! ;)

if you select 720HD on the youtube quality and go full screen you will see it better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGffj-Xr ... e=youtu.be
spudnut
Big Wave Charger
State or Province: Ca
Interests: Surfing, Kites, Yo-yo's

Unread post by spudnut »

Looks like a fun day.

P.S. Don't give the secret spot away 8-)
ClanB
Big Wave Charger
Interests: surf hunt fish chili bbq paipos, nerd rpgs lol, yup music

Unread post by ClanB »

Cool video. Waves look fun.Thanks!
OG-AZN
Big Wave Charger
City: Oakland

Unread post by OG-AZN »

That's a fun looking set up you have over there. You had it mostly to yourself too. What's the water temp there?
krusher74
Big Wave Charger

OG-AZN wrote:That's a fun looking set up you have over there. You had it mostly to yourself too. What's the water temp there?
We have huge tides here, was 36ft that day (30 to 43ft range over the year) the draining out tides kill off the swell so it can be quiet at a lot of our breaks on the dropping tides. I was first in and alone for 20 mins, by a hour in there was about 15 people in, but all locals who i know so no hassle. Pity I did no get video later as it was over head and much cleaner with the tides push. (a friend got still pics) soI will try to get them up here in the future.

Its 53f in the water , air temp yesterday was 46f.

We have as well as a large tide cycle and large sea temp cycle through the year. sea temp will drop to 44/46fin the depth on winter, dec/jan/feb/march and go up to 62f in august. Which is a pain because I cycle from a 5/4/3 hood boots and gloves to a 2mm shortie and every thing in between, loads of kit to buy!.
bgreen
Big Wave Charger
City: Brisbane
State or Province: Qld

Unread post by bgreen »

Krusher,

10 out of 10 for ingenuity. The wave looked perfect fora paipo. The board certainly looked like it could hold an edge through the hollow sections/whitewater.

Was this some sort of reef? I was interested in the variety of wave heights.

I'd be interested to see the stills, especially if they are close up.

Bob
krusher74
Big Wave Charger

bgreen wrote:Krusher,

10 out of 10 for ingenuity. The wave looked perfect fora paipo. The board certainly looked like it could hold an edge through the hollow sections/whitewater.

Was this some sort of reef? I was interested in the variety of wave heights.

I'd be interested to see the stills, especially if they are close up.

Bob
Thanks Bob I tried it at another break first and to cover a large area i could be in I was more panned out, but when i saw the footage I was the size of an ant!

This time I had rocks that were closer and when it was small on the outgoing tide I knew i was going to be surfing that small area, If i had dont the same later when it was good much bigger I was moving over a much bigger area.

Its a rock reef which has several shelfs as it goes out to sea so depending on each bit of swell it breaks on and outer or inner shelf and has wide "west bowls" which are the hollow waves. I had one of the best barrels I have ever had locally about 2 hours after this was filmed, my friend has shot, just got to get them off him.
This paipo drives so much faster through a barrel, i'm almost converted!! have not been back on the bodyboard since i started riding it
krusher74
Big Wave Charger

Hot off the press just got a teaser shot through email from my friend, poor quality because it was just an email quicky, will be loads better when i get the real thing
Attachments
boiler barrel paipo.jpg
bgreen
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by bgreen »

Krusher,

If this is the ordinary sort of waves you get maybe my wife's idea of going to London one day isn't such a bad idea. I surfeld in Ireland a year or so ago at this beachbreak and the tidal range and effect on where there were waves was pretty amazing let alone bewildering. On the second surf the waves I saw from shore deteriorated into closeouts quickly. after an hour or so of surfing another bank that filled in I got an ok wave in. While drying off, I saw the original bank start firing up with the best waves of the day. I'm sure local knowledge goes a long way in your part of the world.

Enjoy the paipo.

Bob
krusher74
Big Wave Charger

If this is the ordinary sort of waves you get maybe my wife's idea of going to London one day isn't such a bad idea. I surfeld in Ireland a year or so ago at this beachbreak and the tidal range and effect on where there were waves was pretty amazing let alone bewildering. On the second surf the waves I saw from shore deteriorated into closeouts quickly. after an hour or so of surfing another bank that filled in I got an ok wave in. While drying off, I saw the original bank start firing up with the best waves of the day. I'm sure local knowledge goes a long way in your part of the world.

Enjoy the paipo.

Bob
No this was not ordinary for here, this is the best I had ever surfed this reef in 19 years of surfing here! Local knowledge is huge living here.

On a world wide surf scale of 10 I would give ireland a 9 and wales a 2. I also consider ireland to have small tides with there range being in the 10ft area and our in wales being around 40ft!
A few years back I surfed a fickle mid tide reef on a big tide, the first set that did not break dry on the reef was still to dangerous, 10 mins later the next set was good, 3rd set 10 mins later and the tide had pushed so much the wave had gone fat, and 4 set the water was so deep it not did ant even break!

Where did you go in ireland?
OG-AZN
Big Wave Charger
City: Oakland

Unread post by OG-AZN »

Sick one Krusher74! I'm surprised you can still surf those spots during that much tide swing. In my area, the average tide range is probably only 3-6 ft, but there are some spots that get really tough to paddle back out at when the tide comes flooding in. There are a lot more spots where it's a constant battle to stay on the peak at the height of any tide change. Lots of inexperienced surfers have needed a rescue after getting sucked past the bridge in SF on the out going tide, which is the only time that spot will start to break.
krusher74
Big Wave Charger

OG-AZN wrote:Sick one Krusher74! I'm surprised you can still surf those spots during that much tide swing. In my area, the average tide range is probably only 3-6 ft, but there are some spots that get really tough to paddle back out at when the tide comes flooding in. There are a lot more spots where it's a constant battle to stay on the peak at the height of any tide change. Lots of inexperienced surfers have needed a rescue after getting sucked past the bridge in SF on the out going tide, which is the only time that spot will start to break.
I guess I just used to changing conditions, here in wales a low tide reef break is only surfable for around 11/2 hours either side of low tide (so 3 hours window) which unfortunately means everybody has to surf that place in that window which does crowd them up.
Also if you in work during low tide and after work its high tide, then no surfing that place for you.

I have however found its not to dissimilar in places with small tides. cali beach breaks, get far to low and close out and then get to high and fat, and that seems to happen in the space of 3 hours also. But i guess there still surfable in some way during all daylight hours.

I'm gonna have to come up and vist you for a golden gate bridge surf, one to check off the bucket list!
krusher74
Big Wave Charger

Well you guys must be my lucky charm!!

Scored another reef about 1/2mile from the last video all to myself today, its not the biggest I have surfed it (maxes out at 4ft) but it the best shape ever!

After filming the other day i had not charged my battery so I only got 13mins of footage to edit before the camera shut off, I left in plenty of sets and paddling for you to get the idea as my wave catching was not much in 13mins.
At 4mins I stood on the reef so you can see how shallow it is to get it to barrel.
Again go 720p and full screen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aCekl62 ... e=youtu.be
Attachments
004.JPG
bgreen
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by bgreen »

Krusher,

May your run of luck continue. I kept thinking, wave ouside. Looks like the shelf there must extend out a bit as well.

Bob
krusher74
Big Wave Charger

May your run of luck continue. I kept thinking, wave ouside. Looks like the shelf there must extend out a bit as well.

Bob
Yeah there are several outer reefs that jack the wave up before it gets to the real barreling inside, as you can see i let loads go by as i'm waiting for the ones with a wraping wall that will barrel. The outer reefs make it cloud break and rumble white water through the inside above 4ft, so it maxes out easily.