My New Wood Paipo Board

What works and what doesn't. Share design ideas, references and contacts for paipo board builders.
jbw4600
Big Wave Charger
City: Kentfield
State or Province: CA

My New Wood Paipo Board

Unread post by jbw4600 »

I finished my new board awhile ago. And I have ridden it twice. 20.5 x 51.5 x 1 5/8. It is wild a ride. Today was the time out with rideable waves. The first day was very choppy. I started to get the hang of it today. I took a couple steep drops. (note stringers are symetrical so it looks uneven, but it isn't)
Attachments
Wood Paipo board 008.JPG
Wood Paipo board 012.JPG
Wood Paipo board 011.JPG
Wood Paipo board 010.JPG
Wood Paipo board 013.JPG
nomastomas
Big Wave Charger
City: Ojai
Interests: Surfing, cycling and fishing

Re: My New Wood Paipo Board

Unread post by nomastomas »

Nice job, JB!! What kind of wood and what did you use to finish it? How much does it weigh? Did you do just an up-rail shape in the nose and down-rail in the tail, or is the nose rail more 50/50? How well does the board turn given its flatness? I found a source for 2"x24"x86" polyurethane sheet foam that I think might make a great core for a belly board. Just wondering how flat I can go without loosing too much turning. Trying to find a way to lower production cost in a sandwich construction board. Beginning to think that wood may be the better alternative for paipos/BBs in a cost-to-performance sort of way. -tp
"This is a paipo site...isn't it?"
www.tp4surf.com
jbw4600
Big Wave Charger
City: Kentfield

Unread post by jbw4600 »

It is Paulownia wood. The nose rocker is about 3/4" and the tail is about 3/8". The nose rails are 50/50 going pretty sharp about 1/3 of the way back. I have only had it out twice. The first time was very choppy. The second time was better but pretty steep and then started to close out. So I can't really tell how it turns. It seems very responsive. The lack of rocker is pretty difficult. I perled or nose dived several times. I think you need more rocker at this type of steep break. It think it would be great on a good wave. It is a lot different than the floaty board you made me. I love the duck diving capability, but it doesn't paddle very well. It is kind of an experiment to see what a really thin board is like. Now I want to try different thickness between this board and my TBelly board. I might try it out at Ocean Beach this weekend. The waves aren't as steep there. Also I want try smaller fins and no fins.
krusher74
Big Wave Charger
City: easkey
State or Province: co sligo
Interests: Surfing, vintage cars and motorbikes

Unread post by krusher74 »

I love the look of it, very nice. I surfed ocean beach for the first time this winter on my paipo, great fun, but horrible paddle, was double over.

to stop pearling you need to have your weight on the back inside corner as you drop. fin-less might actually make that easier.