Mega Platter Redux

What works and what doesn't. Share design ideas, references and contacts for paipo board builders.
skiff
Big Wave Charger
City: Central Coast
State or Province: California

Mega Platter Redux

Unread post by skiff »

Thought I'd post up some shots of my buddy Ron's new L41 EPS 'Mega Platter'. The dims on this one are 6' x 28" wide, x 3.25" thick. Ron's an ex Newport Beach Wedge guy, with a lifetime of bellyboarding and water time. He splits his time between the waves of the PNW (Pacific Northwest...............slang out of WA State...) and Ecuador, and the board will travel back and forth as his new sled. He had a custom rubber pad done up by Casey Patelski of 'Kneelo Cove' in Costa Mesa, CA, and the shaper, Kirk McGinty, ordered and applied it before the board was picked up in Santa Cruz by a friend passing through. It's slighly smaller than the genre I've come to love in my personal boards, but it will be interesting to hear Ron's stories as they begin to filter back as he puts it to some use at the various locales he frequents. He has a lot of history on these type of craft, so the learning curve should be short and the results quickly forthcoming. The last shot is the custom board bag that he had done in Santa Cruz I believe.
Attachments
x4.jpg
x4.jpg (25.68 KiB) Viewed 6844 times
x2.jpg
x2.jpg (14.69 KiB) Viewed 6844 times
x3.jpg
x3.jpg (16.71 KiB) Viewed 6844 times
x1.jpg
x1.jpg (15.51 KiB) Viewed 6844 times
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger
City: Arbutus Land
State or Province: Maryland
Interests: Waveriding, travel and the Paipo Research Project

Re: Mega Platter Redux

Unread post by rodndtube »

The board bag, my Midnight, is based out of Huntington Beach/Costa Mesa.
http://mypaipoboards.org/PaipoBoardBags.shtml
http://www.midnightproducts.net/

Highly recommended!
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

"The sea doth wash away all human ills."
-- Euripides.
jbw4600
Big Wave Charger
City: Kentfield
State or Province: CA

Unread post by jbw4600 »

I am fascinated by the "mega platters". I am currently experimenting with going smaller and thinner than my main board, but a some point I want try longer boards. I'd also like to try deck pads as my chest is almost always sore now from taking drops and bouncy rides. Are the deck pads recessed into the deck or glued on top of the deck? Do the pads add to float of the board?
Last edited by jbw4600 on Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
krusher74
Big Wave Charger
City: easkey
State or Province: co sligo
Interests: Surfing, vintage cars and motorbikes

Unread post by krusher74 »

I saw this on their facebook page, cool board.

whats the rider weight,

I;m 5.10 170lbs and i ride 3'8 x 21 1/2 x 2 7/8' I cant imagine being able to turn a board that big and no way i could sink it to duck dive, but as long as it work for him its all good. :D
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger

Context, compromise, optimize, tradeoffs... Skiff is riding his board mostly in point breaks and peaks accessible with boat entry... duck diving is not really a factor... just paddle around to the channel. There are tons of breaks where, for me, the board would prove to be an exhausting suicide paddleout even with the flotation equivalence of a long board.

On the other hand, krusher, I love my Austin "skim" board, my S&S RPM which is around 50 x 19-7/8 x 1-7/8, more or less, and I weigh a hell of a lot more than you. Yes, it duck dives nicely (but not anything like those zero buoyancy boards) but I like riding this board in the punchy point type breaks in 3 to 8 foot and an open ocean type break in the 6 to 10 foot range. When the board gets into plane, or skim mode, it is such a feeling of control and looseness.
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

-- Euripides.
krusher74
Big Wave Charger

cool, 1 7/8" I never knew the austins were that thin. pic?
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger

krusher74 wrote:cool, 1 7/8" I never knew the austins were that thin. pic?
These are a modified design from the baseline Austin that I call the RPM models (3 boards) and the two S&S RPMs (subset of the 3) are the thinnest ones. This is the first of the two S&S RPMs:
14_SnS_RPM_bottom_angled_tailview2[1].jpg
01_SnS_CheckeredRPM_standing[1].jpg
This is the second of the S&S RPMs.
DeckView_Standing[1].jpg
RailViewBottom[1].jpg
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

-- Euripides.
skiff
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by skiff »

Jbw- The rubber pads are glued on top of the finished board..............super easy to apply and to my way of thinking, highly superior to wax. I am so glad to finally be OFF of wax. The pads are not quite as 'sticky', but I've learned to deal with it. What they are is SUPER comfortable when at rest waiting for the next wave, they protect the tops of the board from pressure dents and stuff like that, and when stacking the boards, no more 'Polish Wax Jobs' on the bottom of your buddie's board. I can't imagine having a board without one of the pads, but like everything else about surfing and paipo, guys dig what they dig and that's what they dig.

And yes, they are quite diff from all the others, smaller type paipos re the floatation what that does or doesn't do for you? I can duck dive them (sort of, on the right wave), but in the event that I can't, that's what God invented surfleashes for. My #1 priority with these things is how do they ride, and all design efforts are oriented in this direction. The one shown here is for a guy that I think is about 180, though again, I don't think that rider weight is very germain to the 'sizing'. I've seen guys as light at 140 surf my boards, and they seem to get the same rides/benefits/charactaristics as guys that weigh more; so I think it takes a bit of re-organized thinking to realize that the size of the board is NOT relatable per se to the size of the rider? The boards turn super easy, which I think is function of the ratio of length to width, and also the quad fin setup. From what I've seen, most paipo riders tend to ride more like guys on mat, surfing the wave with some sort of basic trim line. Are there guys out there going vert on paipos? There may be, but I've never seen them. So if we're all basically trimming off down the line with some turning here or there....... why not design a board with this as a priority? Just the way I think of it.
jbw4600
Big Wave Charger
City: Kentfield
State or Province: CA

Unread post by jbw4600 »

Skiff, I am planning on making a couple of boards. I am trying estimate if the pad will add to the float. Is so I might need thin the board a little to get the amount of float (volume) I want. Do you think that the pad adds float? Thanks
bgreen
Big Wave Charger
City: Brisbane
State or Province: Qld

Unread post by bgreen »

Minor flotation addition would be my guess. Youcould also get away without padding the whole board. What is the light patch just below the door ahndle - some sort of hand grip? How do these thick boards ride in really hollow waves?
krusher74
Big Wave Charger

bgreen wrote:Minor flotation addition would be my guess. Youcould also get away without padding the whole board. What is the light patch just below the door ahndle - some sort of hand grip? How do these thick boards ride in really hollow waves?
yeah its a hand grip, the Sups have a hole in the middle to carry them as there to big to get your arm round. On my next board i am adding arm pads to cushion my elbows
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger

Elbow pads are a good idea! Not sure about using the full deck pad in tropical or warm waters and how it interacts with skin. I always wear a rash guard of some kind. It would save on wax! Now... if I would only get my eyes fixed ;)
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

-- Euripides.
soulglider
Big Wave Charger
City: sd
State or Province: ca

Unread post by soulglider »

had a pendo deck on my black magic. sanded it off. dumb experiment, just added cost and unwanted/unneeded float.
deathbedpaipo.blogspot.com
GeoffreyLevens
Big Wave Charger
City: Paonia
State or Province: Colorado

Unread post by GeoffreyLevens »

rodndtube wrote:Elbow pads are a good idea! Not sure about using the full deck pad in tropical or warm waters and how it interacts with skin. I always wear a rash guard of some kind. It would save on wax! Now... if I would only get my eyes fixed ;)
I have always worn a rash guard or tee shirt in the "olden days" in tropics. I am such a haoli Casper that I am concerned about how the sun interacts with my skin! :lol:
skiff
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by skiff »

JBW- I don't think the pad add any negligible floatation to the boards, but I could be off on that? On this board, and others of this 'platter' design, any additional floation would be barely noticeable since the board itself comes in at around 70-75 liters of floatation..? To put that in perspective................a typical Channel Island 6-0 Elf Slipper shortboard is about 35 liters, a typical generic 9-0 longboard is about 55 liters, and thesea are up around 70-75 liters................all 'hidden' in a template only 6-0 to 6-3 long. All these numbers are now discernible because of the computer design program that is utilized to conceptualize these designs..............it automatically spits out the liter's number as a normal part of the program. Liters of floatation and their importance seemed to start in the sailboarding world, then migrated to the SUP planet, and now I notice even 'regular' surfboard shapers seem to be focusing/obsessing on it. For me, it really adds a tangible number that I can adjust up or down, and I think it's one of the most useful things to come out of this computer shaping epoch. And of course................two sides that are mathmatically symetrical doesn't seem to hurt either!

To answer the other question, I've ridden these things in surf up to about 10' and of super high quality. I won't say that there isn't a bit of learning curve to them, but they seem to work pretty good to me? Obviously................once the surf gets about 5', it really helps if the conditions are optimal, none of these bellyboards seem to like bouncy or chunkadelic surface conditions? In smaller stuff, I can sort of bull my way through, but once it starts getting bigger, I'm hoping for cleanliness and then if I get it, I don't really notice anything unusual. I'm not claiming to be Mark Cunningham, Mike Stewart, or any kind of big wave hero, but for me, they work as well as I seem to be able to need.................to have a great time and feel like I've accomplished something.
Attachments
fnld3.jpg
bgreen
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by bgreen »

Skiff,

I was interested in how your boards go in hollow waves, because I have a feeling that sometimes a thicker board can handle hollow waves better than a really thin board. I'm not talking about HPD thin as Sean Ross has no trouble tube riding one.

Bob
skiff
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by skiff »

Bob- Well, I've never really tried the thinner paipo's before, so I'm bad guy to determine if they work 'better' or not? But for me, they work just about perfect, within the parameters that I use the board. It's my 'daily driver' for sure, so it gets used over a pretty wide set of venues. Lots of subtleties come together to create the whole, and it's been an eye opening design for sure. I love the quads, the huge double barrel concaves provide the 'engine' for the board, having the 'hull' roll up in the forward third of the board makes it 'fit' better, and the big V lets it roll over onto a turn super easily, even for such a wide board. But in considering all of the variables, I'm convinced that it's the simple dimension of 'extreme' width that makes this board what it is.
Attachments
PAYC shirt sale.jpg
krusher74
Big Wave Charger

Have you managed to barrel ride the board, or does it just thrust you out on to the shoulder.

I was out surfing the other day and one of my talented friends was attempting to stand up ride my paipo, while i floundered around on his 6.0 35 litre short board, i took a couple of waves on it and it felt like a barge, to long to turn and when the barrel cam i simple could not stall it at all.
krusher74
Big Wave Charger

oh p.s nice pictures!
bgreen
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by bgreen »

Skiff,

I wasn't thinking so much about real thin paipos but within your range of experimentation, I thought your earlier boards weren't as thick as the current one. I may just be wrong on this though. Either way, looks like you are catching some really fun waves. With thise long lines I can see whay speed would come inhandy.

Bob