Good first paipo

What works and what doesn't. Share design ideas, references and contacts for paipo board builders.
jimithesaint
Forum Grommet
City: Chesapeak
State or Province: Virginia

Good first paipo

Unread post by jimithesaint »

I am looking to get a paipo to try, not sure whether I should get a wood or a foam board. I would like to hear some feedback on each type as well as suggestions on who to get boards from. I know locally Austin makes paipos but have seen some others in other areas.
What should I look for as a 200 lb 55 year old surfer looking to try his hand at paipo riding
Thanks
Jimi
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger
City: Arbutus Land
State or Province: Maryland
Interests: Waveriding, travel and the Paipo Research Project

Re: Good first paipo

Unread post by rodndtube »

Jimi, you can try both wood and foam -- there are many aficionados for one or the other, sometimes both. The baseline Austin paipo is a good board to try. Suggest you go with the 3-fin box version so you have lots of freedom to experiment other various wave conditions. Austin may have a used board for sale -- see one on the market on occasion. Feel free to call me if you want to talk more about the Austin board.
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

"The sea doth wash away all human ills."
-- Euripides.
bgreen
Big Wave Charger
City: Brisbane
State or Province: Qld

Unread post by bgreen »

In many ways this is a similar question as to asking what sort of surfboard you should buy.

Wood boards are simple (and relatively easy to make) and ideal for planning. They tend to have less float so if you haven't done a lot of kicking or plan to surf where there are strong currents/long paddles it will be a lot more work.

Foam boards come in a lot of varieties. Unlike surfboards where you can go into a shop and describe the type of wave you plan to surf, your ability and how you want to surf, you are unlikely to find such advice in a standard surf shop. Fins make turning easier & tighter but there are virtues to riding a finless foam board as well (you basically don't have to worry about cutting yourself, smashing the fins out surfing shallow rocky areas, having to bother buying fins or worry about fin type and there is less drag). I think Jeff Chamberlain characterised the difference between wood and foam boards as akin to a difference between a bodysurfing style and a more surfboard riding style. Both valid, just different. People also tend to ride paipo based on their background, whether that be boogie board, standup surfing, kneeboards or bodysurfing.

What size/sort of surf do you plan to ride your board in?

Bob
ClanB
Big Wave Charger
City: Ventura
State or Province: CA
Interests: surf hunt fish chili bbq paipos, nerd rpgs lol, yup music

Unread post by ClanB »

I replied earlier but my post seems to be gone. When I discovered paipos, my 1st test run was on my Son's skim board. It worked and I got hooked.
jbw4600
Big Wave Charger
City: Kentfield
State or Province: CA

Unread post by jbw4600 »

Since have already used fiberglass foam boards, I would go for a foam board it would probably be an easier transition.
Papa Paepo o
Big Wave Charger
City: Honolulu
State or Province: Hi.
Interests: building & riding Papa Paepo`o (Paipo) Boards. All types and sizes, I even rode a abandon 4'ft - 8'ft. plywood that adrift from a commercial fishing boat in Kewalo Basin, O`ahu in the year of 1996.

Unread post by Papa Paepo o »

Aloha gang,
All boards are good once you find your body placements on the board. Skim Board, yes cause of its narrow shape. I could ride it like and still perform meneuver as a regular rigid rails paipo board. Both foam and wood are good, one has more floatation than the other.
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger
City: Arbutus Land
State or Province: Maryland
Interests: Waveriding, travel and the Paipo Research Project

Unread post by rodndtube »

Right On, Jarrett! Likewis For finned and finless.
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

"The sea doth wash away all human ills."
-- Euripides.
soulglider
Big Wave Charger
City: sd
State or Province: ca

Unread post by soulglider »

gotta have at least 7 or 8 of each kind!
deathbedpaipo.blogspot.com
matt23
Big Wave Charger
City: Rumansville
State or Province: Norfolk

Unread post by matt23 »

Doesnt matter which you ride. At some point DO build yot own, riding something youve made is such a good feeling ;-)
Papa Paepo o
Big Wave Charger
City: Honolulu
State or Province: Hi.
Interests: building & riding Papa Paepo`o (Paipo) Boards. All types and sizes, I even rode a abandon 4'ft - 8'ft. plywood that adrift from a commercial fishing boat in Kewalo Basin, O`ahu in the year of 1996.

Unread post by Papa Paepo o »

matt23 wrote:Doesnt matter which you ride. At some point DO build yot own, riding something youve made is such a good feeling ;-)

You got that right. Once you start building your own paipo you get a good feeling. Learning your woods it's good.