Skimboard Paipo

What works and what doesn't. Share design ideas, references and contacts for paipo board builders.
bgreen
Big Wave Charger
City: Brisbane
State or Province: Qld

Skimboard Paipo

Unread post by bgreen »

ClanB recently described using a skimboard as a trial before getting a paipo and I recall Poobah ages ago suggesting a skimboard as a cheap travelling alternative to a paipo.

I may be able to go surfing in Canada and it occurred to me a skimboard might be a good option as I won't have a board with me.

I'm interested to know what are reasonable brands and where I could buy one - in Canada or online from the US.

Anyone use a skimboard as a paipo?

Thanks

Bob
Nels
Big Wave Charger
City: Camarillo
State or Province: California

Re: Skimboard Paipo

Unread post by Nels »

Hi Bob

For skimboards you get a variety of choice, although I'm not sure what will be available wherever you will be in Canada. I am told that B.C. has some level of established skimboard community in places but I can't verify that.

Victoria Skimboards out of Laguna Beach ships all over the world and is in my opinion the leader in design and materials, They pioneered foam skimboards, and if I was going in this direction this is the skimmer I'd be looking for. They vacuum-bag fiberglass to foam cores with a bit of either rocker or a little kick in the nose. I believe - but don't remember for certain - that they may have a couple of price point lines of foam skimboards. They also make wood.

https://ocean.victoriaskimboards.com/

Others make similar products but I don't know what kind of availability. Skimboards frequently show up on craigslist but that may not be helpful if you are on a tight schedule or have transport issues. They can also be ordered off Amazon.com but you have to take reviews for sports equipment with a grain of salt.

Nels
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger
City: Arbutus Land
State or Province: Maryland
Interests: Waveriding, travel and the Paipo Research Project

Unread post by rodndtube »

You might be able to work out a rental deal in Vancouver or Victoria -- there is actually a skim board shop in Vancouver. There are also a number of surf shops in Victoria. It might be kind of complicated ordering a board from Australia to be delivered from a company in the USA for delivery to an address in Canada. Another option might be going to an area big box sporting goods store.

Or, follow the advise of one "Brit" when traveling to another "UK area" in this book, and love your wood:
http://mypaipoboards.org/pubs/BookSumma ... ml#Ellam_P
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

"The sea doth wash away all human ills."
-- Euripides.
bgreen
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by bgreen »

Nels,

Many thanks. This might just do the trick - http://oceanstore.victoriaskimboards.co ... ct/foamie/

Rod,

I've read this before (perhaps you'd sent it or I was roaming around the site). I considered just buying a saw, some plywood and paint. This would be plan D.

Bob
Poobah
Big Wave Charger
City: Lucerne
State or Province: CA

Unread post by Poobah »

Skimboards can be found far from the ocean, like in St. George, Utah...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VA4PXJIAqZg
bgreen
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by bgreen »

Interesting clip. The younger, thinner kids could really get some speed before hiding the ramps.
Papa Paepo o
Big Wave Charger
City: Honolulu
State or Province: Hi.
Interests: building & riding Papa Paepo`o (Paipo) Boards. All types and sizes, I even rode a abandon 4'ft - 8'ft. plywood that adrift from a commercial fishing boat in Kewalo Basin, O`ahu in the year of 1996.

Unread post by Papa Paepo o »

bgreen wrote:ClanB recently described using a skimboard as a trial before getting a paipo and I recall Poobah ages ago suggesting a skimboard as a cheap travelling alternative to a paipo.

I may be able to go surfing in Canada and it occurred to me a skimboard might be a good option as I won't have a board with me.

I'm interested to know what are reasonable brands and where I could buy one - in Canada or online from the US.

Anyone use a skimboard as a paipo?

Thanks

Bob

Aloha gang,
I have a "Victoria" skim-board that I bought in San Diego, while competing in "Oceanside Worlds Bodysurfing Contest" in 1996, representing "Team Hawai`i". Riding a skimboard is easier cause of the narrow-shape and it's nose rocker which was perfect. Just little thinner than a regular size paipo board thickness. Perfect for "Whomping" shore breaks from a long-shot wave riding.