Alaia Prone - wegener peanut

What works and what doesn't. Share design ideas, references and contacts for paipo board builders.
airboy808
Big Wave Charger
City: Honolulu
State or Province: HI

Alaia Prone - wegener peanut

Unread post by airboy808 »

Scored a used wegener peanut in a board combo sale (think American Pickers bundling). It is 6'3" and has a single concave down the center, v-panels out to the rail from the center concave, and rail curve in the mid section that pulls in like a peanut.

Have taken her out a few times. I am 6'1" and 200lbs. I knew the float was not there for my weight and saw some prone Alaia riding info on the interwebz so thought to give it a go. Went to my normal spot with a pair of duck feet.

Paddled out and it was soft with come chest high roll ins. They would wall up on the inside so it created this little closeout section you would have to make to get to the other side of the left. Went for my first one a soft rolling in maybe waist to chest. Kicked and was surprised how easy I started planing on to the wave. Just glided in and tilted over to engage rail and bang I was off. Started hauling ass got pass the close out section and was pretty amazed.

Got a few more and found had to scoot forward and aft for turning and actually pull on the nose for rocker and up face carves. I know the speed comes from not having my feet dangling in the water while on rail. But seems as if it was a foot shorter it would be perfect as no need to scoot around but still keep feet out of water. And still keep,length for easy paddle in. Also found the flex to be fun with all that length. Good bounce it into a wave for extra get on to the wave power. Did get some side drift once or twice but think that is more rider error than the Alaia.

Besides cutting 10" off the tail I am thinking to stick on leash plugs up by the nose so I can create a handle with a strap or rope and see what that does. No more fingers over the nose to pull on the nose. Going to be a fun south shore summer
bgreen
Big Wave Charger
City: Brisbane
State or Province: Qld

Re: Alaia Prone - wegener peanut

Unread post by bgreen »

AB,

I met up with Tom Wegener a while ago and tried a pile of his boards. One was a longer board. It was nice to be able to arm paddle it but it was a bit hazardous in a dumping beachbreak. A shorter board, without having to move forward and back would be a good idea. Is the board fairly even in thickness the last 2' - if it is, cutting off the last 1' shouldn't be a major drama. A board that length would have probably been made for standing up rather than riding prone.

The ride you described is one of the fun things about these planning machines.

Bob
airboy808
Big Wave Charger

It was made for stand up but it goes so good lying down.

Finding the length helps with glide in. Yeah this is not pyramid rock friendly. It would snap in half

Same thickness across whole length to yes cutting off tail 10" - 12" no big deal. Dims are 6'4" x 16" x 5/8" (thickness is guess)

Jon Wegener rides his stand up spoon 5-6" prone as well and loves it.

Wegener stand up spoon for sale locally is 6-4 and thinking of pulling trigger
airboy808
Big Wave Charger

Ok took out the wegener Alaia town side. Got a few gems today. It doesn't like air drops and the shuffling fore and aft to turn is not to fun after a few. Felt like all that glide was not there today. Only felt a advantage once when pressing the nose down to get down the face. Had the Alaia bending over the lip to get going.

Got a 3'10 wegener stokomoto on the way. Think that will be a good comprise. As far as length and turning.