uss starship enterprise

What works and what doesn't. Share design ideas, references and contacts for paipo board builders.
karuhi
Big Wave Charger
City: hokianga harbour
State or Province: northland
Interests: surfing,diving,fishing,boating,hunting.........

Re: uss starship enterprise

Unread post by karuhi »

13897888152_b2bd8913c1_z.jpg
13897888152_b2bd8913c1_z.jpg (57.94 KiB) Viewed 3716 times
Hi Bob, board width is a bit funny to work out to because of the large concave on the bottom and the scooped deck as well. i'll add a pic so you can see what i mean. board thickness in the centre of the board at the thinest place its about an inch thick but at the back of the board on the rail its about 3"
muriwai is about 3 1/2 hours drive south for me.
bgreen
Big Wave Charger
City: Brisbane
State or Province: Qld

Unread post by bgreen »

The photo confused me for a while but I think I get what you mean. The idea of a thin centre and thicker on the rails is not dissimilar to John Galera's boards & Gus Acosta's WaveArrows, though al these boards differ markedly in various other ways.

Distance and the time it takes to drive is one of the things to bear in mind driving in NZ (and some other places with narrow or winding roads & hills). I seriously underestimated the travel time between Gisbourne and Wellington based on the kilometres.

Bob
karuhi
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by karuhi »

Hi Bob, yes the pic is a bit confusing - but you've got it. Scooped top and bottom and thick beams. Had a look at gus's wave arrows and although they look very interesting i didn't think I'd attempt it on a first foam board - thats a pretty complicated bit of glassing - and shaping! A mate of mine is making timber skinned standup boards with the bottom contours on his boards similar to what I've done on mine. I know it's the opposite of what everyone is doing on rail to rail transition needing V on such a wide arsed board, but his standup boards are working - and flying so i thought I'd give it a go. I have another blank so it would be an interesting project to make something with a more conventional bottom shape - single concave into dual concave with V. I know there is a large amount of heads out there that believe that a flat bottom is best,and that anything works in a paipo. But in my opinion the more of your body that is out of the water then the more hydrodynamic principles will come into play. Time will tell.
Yes people think NZ is a small country - and they are right!. But its that bloody long and skinny from subtropical through to sub antarctic . I think NZ has the 10th longest coastline in the world and the US has the 9th. Amazing for something smaller than most American states. And with 4mill population and no one more than about 50miles from the coast thats a lot of uncrowded breaks :D .
karuhi
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by karuhi »

Another question someone maybe able to help me with - how are people attaching handles either timber or rope? I don't know if i like the nose break potential of a timber one, but the rope although pretty ugly i could see being a plus.
bgreen
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by bgreen »

The rope handles are fibreglassed at the two ends with rovings. I've ridden a wooden handled bonzer in overhead surf and not had problems getting hit by it. I'd probably try a lower handle than the one made for me. The handle is 7" from the board's nose at the closest point of the handle.

Bob
krusher74
Big Wave Charger
City: easkey
State or Province: co sligo
Interests: Surfing, vintage cars and motorbikes

Unread post by krusher74 »

interesting stuff, how's it coming along? :)
karuhi
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by karuhi »

hi Krusher, all glassed,finboxes in, just sanding back the fill coat. going to have to do a wee bit of art work as i had an accident! wind blew the blank off my shaping stand outside and dinged it. had a web dredge for scapple (think thats what its called) and its new zealand equivalent. saw to use what we have as polyfilla. no worries filled ding and a few scratches and little holes - first lam coat....... polyfilla goes brown. now have a board which looks like an eighty yr old with bad sun spots. only have black pigment so the board may have an unusual distressed look. justin
karuhi
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by karuhi »

new lesson learnt for today........ pigmented epoxy is a waste of space. hot coated, rubbed back, and to hide polyfilla cockups i thought i'd do like a big resin line - pin line. with pigmented (black - worst color but all i had) resin well the black is the wishy-washiest colour i've ever seen. and it has bled something terrible. disappointingly the board now looks like a dogs breakfast. won't effect its surfability - but it aint pretty. will see what i can do over the week. give it a gloss coat and cringe.......
Nels
Big Wave Charger
City: Camarillo
State or Province: California

Unread post by Nels »

Steve Brom, one of what I consider the more meticulous craftspeople in surfboard construction, occasionally puts out some of his well-known fish designs with artwork that makes them look sun-browned, ding-repaired, and wasted. Brand new boards. Absolutely beautiful in their insincerity. Ugly boards still ride the same but are far less attractive to impulsive thieves looking to steal your candy.

Nels
karuhi
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by karuhi »

oh - no problems then - i'm sure nobody will steal it here. nobody will even know what its for - no boogie boarders in sight. did see a guy on a sup - once.
apart from that - yep she's butt ugly
bgreen
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by bgreen »

It's time to see just how 'ugly'.

Bob
karuhi
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by karuhi »

will hopefully gloss coat tomorrow - so give me a couple of days
karuhi
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by karuhi »

DSC01702.JPG
all done - whew! - apart from the pad I've ordered from Casey at cove pads. pretty happy how its all come out - apart from the color/arty shite. next time I'll have a nice clean board.
karuhi
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by karuhi »

and another
Attachments
DSC01705.JPG
karuhi
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by karuhi »

another. looks like there is a hell of alot of foam in the nose - there is! but not quite as bad as it looks with the s shaped deck and scoop. and full concave running from nose to tail
DSC01703.JPG
karuhi
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by karuhi »

and lastly
Attachments
DSC01706.JPG
karuhi
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by karuhi »

now to get it in the water! mates are calling it my flutter board (flutter board is what kids learning to swim here in new zealand use, and hold in their hands and kick, piece of foam probably a foot wide and one and a half feet long) no one as yet has seen the decals on the bottom with uncle grumpies poem - i just can't wait! expecting a fair bit of abuse, but as I'm the biggest bugger in the lineup I'll be fine. i have another chunk of foam that i may have a play with and make another bellyboard- i also have a nice chunk of agave i've milled up so i might incorporate the two. since I've now made a couple of long boards a short board and a paipo i may even build a kneeboard. haven't seen a kneeboarder for decades - endangered species - maybe even extinct where i live. I'll ask around on a kneeboard forum for design ideas as i haven't a clue where to start shape wise actually if anyone has an aku file they are willing to give out and let me tinker with to turn it into xxxl proportions i'd appreciate it. thanks to everyone thats helped with the project and I'll be adding pics and wanting input into the next paipo. cheers dudes - Justin.
bgreen
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by bgreen »

Karuhi,

A complex design. Don't be surprised if the learning curve isn't steep and that the board is more suited to some conditions than others. The fun/challenge now awaits.

Kneeboards - http://www.swaylocks.com/forums/all-kne ... nee-boards

Bob
karuhi
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by karuhi »

Thanks Bob, you're right, I'm just happy making something (its a great hobby) that i can use and have a bit of fun. if it works it works, if not ... hey it was a great project. i'm not concerned about all the tricks i just want to have some prone deep barrels and go fast....... really fast. Justin.
bgreen
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by bgreen »

Karuhi,

Hope you get some swell soon. I'll be interested to hear how it goes.

Bob