uss starship enterprise

What works and what doesn't. Share design ideas, references and contacts for paipo board builders.
karuhi
Big Wave Charger
City: hokianga harbour
State or Province: northland
Interests: surfing,diving,fishing,boating,hunting.........

Re: uss starship enterprise

Unread post by karuhi »

went for a pretty small wave yesterday, about 2-3' - about head high standing up! i probably had about 8 waves, took awhile to get used to it. i just didn't have my weight far enough forward, by the time i started getting it i was knackered and it was getting dark. duck diving - umm - just about forget about it, I'll try again next time but it was a problem, manageable but a mission. never pearled it, probably because my weight was too far back. paddling a piece of cake same as for wave catching - effortless. cove mat cushioned beautifully. ride was interesting, i didn't think i was going that fast but the guys said i was flying, i know i skipped right past a couple and ended up on the shoulder and wave was gone :shock: didn't even realize. on one i made a section that wouldn't have been do-able on a boogieboard. had no problem getting up the face, if anything the board seemed tracky and wanted to sit there, i didn't do a hell of a lot of turning but did one little zip around a mate that was a piece of cake. need some bigger and longer waves for next time to really see what it will do. was a fun afternoon!
oh and i've made another one with the other chunk of foam i had, this one more tapered in the nose and wide at the back, not the same as Thomas Patrick's but more that shape. thinner and lighter. I'll add pics soon.
nomastomas
Big Wave Charger
City: Ojai
State or Province: CA
Interests: Surfing, cycling and fishing

Unread post by nomastomas »

Shabby-chic is the look you've got going. Becoming very popular in my area. I like what you've done with this shape. Thinner/lighter is definitely the right direction, smaller fins, too. My advice is dial in your bottom shape, rails and outline, and then bring the deck down to the thinnest level that's in your comfort zone. Everyone has different buoyancy requirements, and as long as its not taken to extreme either way, I see no significant impact on performance one way or the other. In my mind, 3" is probably too corky, and 1" is probably too thin. Rail shape and bottom contours have greater impact on performance than buoyancy. I like your wide, bottom bevel; keeps the rails thin and helps to initiate turning. Makes me think about applying tri-plane hull design to belly boards, a la Tyler Warren's Bar of Soap and Manni Caro's TPH. Too many ways to skin the cat....
"This is a paipo site...isn't it?"
www.tp4surf.com
karuhi
Big Wave Charger
City: hokianga harbour
State or Province: northland
Interests: surfing,diving,fishing,boating,hunting.........

Unread post by karuhi »

"shabby chic" i call it bloody horrible! never mind, it will do its job however it looks. yes thinner and lighter is definitely i think the idea. i don't want to dump the idea of the bigger mega platter type boards yet, but they have their drawbacks thats for sure. I'm hoping with the narrower nosed board I'm making it will duck dive a little easier. I'm trying to get it finished for this weekend as there's a big swell coming and the point break about 3/4 of an hours drive north of me will hopefully be cranking. this maybe the perfect wave for the bigger boards with a more hull like bottom shape - will wait and see. I've made an aku shape on the computer up with a plan shape similar to yours (Thomas) but with a full slight concave from nose to tail and the wegener mini hulls? pontoons? catamaran hulls? i don't know what you would call the bottom shape, similar to krushers board, this i will add in a couple of fin boxes for a twinnie but look at ridding it finless. I'd like a couple of boards for different types of surf. a group of us are going to samoa for a family (surfing) holiday next year and one of these will be my board as a longboard would be an outrageous cost.
bgreen
Big Wave Charger
City: Brisbane
State or Province: Qld

Unread post by bgreen »

Karuhi,

No doubt it will take some time to work out what you can and can't do on the board but it sound slike it will be fun fidning out.

Bob
Papa Paepo o
Big Wave Charger
City: Honolulu
State or Province: Hi.
Interests: building & riding Papa Paepo`o (Paipo) Boards. All types and sizes, I even rode a abandon 4'ft - 8'ft. plywood that adrift from a commercial fishing boat in Kewalo Basin, O`ahu in the year of 1996.

Unread post by Papa Paepo o »

Aloha gang,
tripple 6oz.? wow, that would be alot like what,Poobah stated. Longer boards length, would be slightly difficult to duck-dive. Even with 48"-52" is sometime hard to duck-dive in shallow surf, so I turn my board width wise and with one hand on the front to push down while the other hand help push and front hand guide the through the water.