T-Belly Generation 2

What works and what doesn't. Share design ideas, references and contacts for paipo board builders.
GeoffreyLevens
Big Wave Charger
City: Paonia
State or Province: Colorado

Re: T-Belly Generation 2

Unread post by GeoffreyLevens »

From all I know, the epoxy part is far far secondary in relationship to what you experienced in terms of performance. Subtle (and not so subtle) nuances of shape/design are the real keys. Kudos to Nomastomas!
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger
City: Arbutus Land
State or Province: Maryland
Interests: Waveriding, travel and the Paipo Research Project

Unread post by rodndtube »

SJB, you'll want to try out the S&S Checkered RPM version of the Austin sometime. It is thinner than the baseline Austin and actually a tad narrower... more like a skimmer on the waves.

Good to read about some good test rides!
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

"The sea doth wash away all human ills."
-- Euripides.
SJB
Big Wave Charger
City: Santa Barbara
State or Province: CAL

Unread post by SJB »

Rod..."skimmer on the waves"
That is a good description of the feel I had on the TBG2 also.
The more I think on it was a bit more of a skipping across the water sensation than I have had with the Austin.
Perhaps because the TBG2 is wider than the standard Austin and/or???
Any thoughts on this Thomas?
Looking forward to further comparison on a more worthy outing.
nomastomas
Big Wave Charger
City: Ojai
State or Province: CA
Interests: Surfing, cycling and fishing

Unread post by nomastomas »

Both the G2 and the G3 were purposely designed to maximize planing; they are both "planing hulls", designed to lift or rise up, out of the water as they accelerate. This reduces the amount of bottom surface in contact with the water (wetted surface), thereby reducing drag and concomitantly increasing speed. As lift and speed maxes-out, there is very little bottom contact with the water, very little resistance or drag, and hence, the intermittent sensation of "skipping" or "skimming" across the surface.

Yes, SJB, width has something to do with planing efficiency, but it is more the aspect ratio of the bottom, (which is the width divided by the length), that's important. There are other factors at play, too, and certainly the relatively light weight of the TBs is one of them, as is the relatively flat rocker curve (minimum "dead-rise in Naval arch terms). The TB G2/G3 is a carefully thought-out design, that has been refined over 4 years. There is a reason for every curve, every flat, every edge, every contour, every change in thickness. There's nothing "new" here, just the application of known principals to a somewhat unique form, i.e. a belly board.

I took a G3 out for the first time this afternoon in 3' low-tide, sloppy-windswell/dying-groundswell conditions. I was very pleased with the results, although the board was probably a bit over-finned with the quad set-up in these conditions. Moving the wide-point/hip back enhances the already pivoty turning. And, returning to a more weight-appropriate (for me) 23L really helped wave catching and planing, without killing the duckdiving ease I had with the G2. Like everyone, I can't wait for some better waves...
"This is a paipo site...isn't it?"
www.tp4surf.com
Daryl D
Tube master
City: Rogue River
State or Province: OR

Unread post by Daryl D »

OK, I've had the Gen 2 since May, I think. It came when conditions here, Crescent City, CA, basically took a dump. I did comment after my first ride, but really didn't have good enough surf to "use" the board. My reference is wood paipos of which I have two way different design. I used those mostly, one in particular through the summer as it worked best in sloppy surf. My last three outs conditions have been better and I used the T-Belly. Today was really the first significant swell however. Still beach break without good long runs to really move around, but I still have gotten a good picture in those conditions.

So, here goes. Fast! Even with fins. Smooth ride, skips over the wave. I chose the bonzer style side fins, low aspect ratio. I have a 5 fin box, so still plenty to play with. But fast with all four bonzer fins in place. I used two in the summer. Today, the waves were chest to slightly overhead with good zip, to set the conditions. The most I laid on the fins is on take off, into the wave, turning hard while dropping in to go with the wave. Not enough wave to really move up and down much. In those conditions, no fin skip. If it occurs, fin options are really good. It's easy to get on a wave and just plain fun. Hopefully I get the balls and opportunity to overuse the fins! Lots of duck diving, no issues. Basically a well thought out piece of work.
SJB
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by SJB »

Got out this week for a couple of days 4-6 foot beach break...poor to fair conditions. Still a bit hesitant to draw any firm conclusions...need that nice ground swell with a good point break for some longer rides. PLEASE.
My Austin is still on shore. I find that with the TBG2 a most significant difference I perceive is less leg drag. The Austin is 2 inches narrower and the pivot point is further forward than on the TBG2. Apparently I am one of those guys nomastomas calls out as riding and pivoting further back on the board. I am conscious of leg drag on the Austin. Not so on the TBG2. Very nimble and fast.
The second thing I have learned (color me dense) is to forget trying to get all four appendages into the propulsion effort. I guess I was stuck back in my previous long board mind set that the way to get out is with all four appendages scratching for the horizon. My Austin is 7 inches longer than the TBG2....and I was hung up on the old dog new trick conundrum. Forget the arms. I can go just as fast using legs only....if not faster. I suspect the Austin experience will be the same with my new mindset. Color me stubborn and slow to change.
I don't anticipate anything further to report until test driving the next decent swell at a point break.
SJB
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by SJB »

Hmmm...."four appendages scratching for the horizon". Bit difficult on a long board. Forget I said that. :oops:
Papa Paepo o
Big Wave Charger
City: Honolulu
State or Province: Hi.
Interests: building & riding Papa Paepo`o (Paipo) Boards. All types and sizes, I even rode a abandon 4'ft - 8'ft. plywood that adrift from a commercial fishing boat in Kewalo Basin, O`ahu in the year of 1996.

Unread post by Papa Paepo o »

Wow, nice piece of foam board. Like the the removal of fins. Keep up the good work.
nomastomas
Big Wave Charger
City: Ojai
State or Province: CA
Interests: Surfing, cycling and fishing

Unread post by nomastomas »

Thanks Papa, and welcome to the forum. I'm eager to hear more about your paipos. I keep threatening to go finless one session, but having too much fun with fins.
"This is a paipo site...isn't it?"
www.tp4surf.com