Endeavour surf prototype paipo

What works and what doesn't. Share design ideas, references and contacts for paipo board builders.
krusher74
Big Wave Charger
City: easkey
State or Province: co sligo
Interests: Surfing, vintage cars and motorbikes

Endeavour surf prototype paipo

Unread post by krusher74 »

A while back I posted the endeavour spud as a possible paipo http://endeavoursurf.com/products/spud

Well through that thread Matt from endeavour got in touch with me and said they were interested in alternative surfcraft and would like to add a paipo to there range.

So we have worked on a prototype board, the design is basically a shortened spud, with some rail/rocker/hull changes that I have added from my own boards designs.

This will have 3 FCS fin tabs on each side for either front or rear position on a two tab fin or a 3 position option for single knubster/bonzer style fins.

Here is a sneak preview of the shaped blank.
Attachments
endeavour paipo-002.JPG
endeavour paipo-002.JPG (95.6 KiB) Viewed 4626 times
endeavour paipo-001.JPG
endeavour paipo-001.JPG (82.34 KiB) Viewed 4626 times
Endeavour Surf Co
Wave slider
City: Truro
State or Province: Cornwall

Re: Endeavour surf prototype paipo

Unread post by Endeavour Surf Co »

We're super excited about it! Keith is going to give it some hardcore testing in some of the most perfect waves on the planet (not jealous at all) We'll let you know how he gets on with the prototype.. Who knows what will happen then.. we'd certainly be stoked to add it to our Alternative range if it goes well!

Thanks,

Matt

endeavoursurf.com
GeoffreyLevens
Big Wave Charger
City: Paonia
State or Province: Colorado

Unread post by GeoffreyLevens »

Love the collaboration!
krusher74
Big Wave Charger

Getting closer, glassed 8-)
Attachments
photo (2)-002.JPG
photo (2)-002.JPG (84.82 KiB) Viewed 4572 times
photo (3)-001.JPG
photo (3)-001.JPG (92.2 KiB) Viewed 4572 times
bgreen
Big Wave Charger
City: Brisbane
State or Province: Qld

Unread post by bgreen »

What's the latest on this project?
krusher74
Big Wave Charger

Ok, well I received the board out in g-land half way through my indo trip (the nice people at endeavor shipped it to me)

I took the board out in some nice 4/5ft g-land it was apparent straight away that this board had a bit more volume than I'm used to (we has estimated the volume of my previous SDF board through me roughly cad modeling it and gone for the same, so my calculations error as to the extra volume)

it took a few sessions to find the right place to have my weight on this board to get it to perform, although from the first wave i had no problem going along a wave and holding the rail finless. A few days latter I put in the nubster find (homemade my me) and the only benefit i noticed was that if i went for a high and tight barrel and got hit and push down the face my the white water, with the inside knubster I could re-grab the rail much earlier and less down the face than finless. Other than that I found no better rail hold or turning ability than finless.
This board holds a rail very well and the one thing it does better than my SDF is cut back, the rail/tail has a crisper change of direction in a cutback, its no etter than the SDF on a bottom turn though.
Since I got back to wales I have been surfing this board, the extra volume is much less noticeably and more of a help in weak welsh waves, and i would say if i had not tried it in indo waves (which I find i am a lot more sensitive to extra volume wile riding) i dont know whether i would really be so adamant it has more volume.

Hopefully we can do a second prototype, and dial in performance more, but this board is very ride-able and would easily hold a rider heavier than me :D

Very stoked to be working with http://endeavoursurf.com/
Attachments
P1050142.JPG
P1050142.JPG (231.61 KiB) Viewed 4426 times
P1050292.JPG
P1050292.JPG (158.49 KiB) Viewed 4426 times
P1050289.JPG
P1050289.JPG (100.24 KiB) Viewed 4426 times
endeavour 1.jpg
endeavour 1.jpg (109.84 KiB) Viewed 4426 times
endeavour 2.jpg
endeavour 2.jpg (96.67 KiB) Viewed 4426 times
krusher74
Big Wave Charger

update.

Have been riding the board quite a lot, and the extra volume is definitely helping out in welsh weak waves. Had been riding it with the 2 knubsters in al the time, but at the slyder cu had t go finless so surfed it the day before finless, wow! much faster and much looser, wont be putting the fins back in ;)
bgreen
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by bgreen »

Krusher,

Even with glasses I had trouble seeing the dimensions - 3'5" x 20" x 2". Is that about right? Is it poly or epoxy?

If you or the board are around next year, perhaps I could have a test ride?

The concave doesn't appear as radical as Soulgliders but from what you wrote seems to hold an edge ok.

Are the waves from the Slyder cup?

Bob
krusher74
Big Wave Charger

bgreen wrote:Krusher,

Even with glasses I had trouble seeing the dimensions - 3'5" x 20" x 2". Is that about right? Is it poly or epoxy?

If you or the board are around next year, perhaps I could have a test ride?

The concave doesn't appear as radical as Soulgliders but from what you wrote seems to hold an edge ok.

Are the waves from the Slyder cup?

Bob

Its 3"8" 21 1/2" 2 3/8" , sure ,your welcome to ride anything I have. :D

Yes it holds an edge very well, never skips out, no need for fins. With the concave being more in just the back half (where my SDF has it through the back 2/3rds ) I feel this maybe make it slightly slower.

The wave are not from the slidercup, there from a local reef break in wales.

I find with my boards they will all do the same thing, it more how difficult it is to make them do that thing that I rate them on. I like to use car analogies, this board will get round the race track,but it morelike trying to get a truck round fast where as my other board feels like a sports car.

The complication is truly knowing what differences in design are the source of the performance differences. :?
jbw4600
Big Wave Charger
City: Kentfield
State or Province: CA

Unread post by jbw4600 »

I wouldn't give up on fins yet. You should try a small or medium size pair of thruster side fins. You could even try some "grom" size side thruster fins. Higher aspect ratio fins ie: shorter base and thinner longer tip are much more manueverable than keel type fins -- even if they are small. FCS makes small, meduim and large size cheaper tri fins. http://surffcs.com/shop/surf-thrusters/fcs-m-3-tri-set I am using the large size. And I am loving them. Completely loose but hold when I want them to. True Ames have some small little fins also.http://www.trueames.com/collections/fcs ... Side-Bites
krusher74
Big Wave Charger

jbw4600 wrote:I wouldn't give up on fins yet. You should try a small or medium size pair of thruster side fins. You could even try some "grom" size side thruster fins. Higher aspect ratio fins ie: shorter base and thinner longer tip are much more manueverable than keel type fins -- even if they are small. FCS makes small, meduim and large size cheaper tri fins. http://surffcs.com/shop/surf-thrusters/fcs-m-3-tri-set I am using the large size. And I am loving them. Completely loose but hold when I want them to. True Ames have some small little fins also.http://www.trueames.com/collections/fcs ... Side-Bites

I still have fin on the back burner (and can custom make any size and shape I want from layed up fibreglass)

I liked trying to top turn off them, but the drag is something I don't enjoy. :(
bgreen
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by bgreen »

Krusher,

Thanks for the dimensions. How much volume do you reckon the board has?

I think aspiring to ride a board finless is worthwhile. A simpler way of wave riding. Having said that, some boards will clearly ride better with the right fins.

I'd be interested to see how a much shorter board rides. So thanks for the offer.

Bob
krusher74
Big Wave Charger

bgreen wrote:Krusher,

Thanks for the dimensions. How much volume do you reckon the board has?

I think aspiring to ride a board finless is worthwhile. A simpler way of wave riding. Having said that, some boards will clearly ride better with the right fins.

I'd be interested to see how a much shorter board rides. So thanks for the offer.

Bob
The board has 25L (which is a touch to much for me for high end performance)

I guess as I design my boards with chine vacuum rails and concave to V that create hold finless then they are maybe fighting with fins :?
bgreen
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by bgreen »

Even if a over-estimate, over 20L is a lot, especially given your board's length.
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger
City: Arbutus Land
State or Province: Maryland
Interests: Waveriding, travel and the Paipo Research Project

Unread post by rodndtube »

Keith, what are the dimensions of your fins, the base length and the height? I keep my sidebites under 2-1/2 inches tall and less than 3 inches base, and with a more conventional fin profile. For me, hitting 3 inches in height (with corresponding increase in base length) creates too much resistance coming off the top for a drop, turn back to the curl or doing a re-entry maneuver.

The fins pictured here all work for me except for the Rainbow Fin Company wide base fins (4") (upper right).
http://mypaipoboards.org/skegs/MySideBites.shtml
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

"The sea doth wash away all human ills."
-- Euripides.
krusher74
Big Wave Charger

bgreen wrote:Even if a over-estimate, over 20L is a lot, especially given your board's length.
I estimated my OG SDF board L's by doing a basic model of it in acushaper, it came out to about 25L.

So when endeavour did the prototype they computer modeled it and machine cut it at the 25L I requested. I now think my OG SDF may be more in the 23/24L range. :?

This is mimicking the float i'm used to from my preferred bodyboard.
krusher74
Big Wave Charger

rodndtube wrote:Keith, what are the dimensions of your fins, the base length and the height? I keep my sidebites under 2-1/2 inches tall and less than 3 inches base, and with a more conventional fin profile. For me, hitting 3 inches in height (with corresponding increase in base length) creates too much resistance coming off the top for a drop, turn back to the curl or doing a re-entry maneuver.

The fins pictured here all work for me except for the Rainbow Fin Company wide base fins (4") (upper right).
http://mypaipoboards.org/skegs/MySideBites.shtml

My "knubsters" are much smaller than that, about 3" base length and 1" tall.