Sea Sled

What works and what doesn't. Share design ideas, references and contacts for paipo board builders.
Sparx45
Tube master
City: Brighton
State or Province: East Sussex

Sea Sled

Unread post by Sparx45 »

Howdy all,
Well i've been lurking on here for quite some time and thought it prudent to post after seeing some of the fantastic kit, ideas, processes etc.
I live on the South Coast of the UK (Brighton) and we don't really get much of a useable wave throughout most of the year making trips away a must really for waves so I've been kiting for most of my "spare" free time. Anyway, I've also been cruisng Sways and both of these forums along with Kenvins' recent book have inspired me to get back to basics and build some more prone craft to play with and so that I get in the drink as much as possible this year wherever that may be.

Anyway, I've got alot of ideas (too many) and three other small paipo projects on the go as well as outfitting my first proper shape shack (I love this space) but I thought i'd share my first paipo with ya'll first. I built this wooden Paipo a couple of years ago and have only just got around to finishing for one reason or another. It's a shape based on a Grain Sea Sled and the Tbelly (G1) which Nomas Tomas was kind enouugh to send me a couple years back. It's was laminated using Titeblonde 3 and some really nice Western Red I manage to poach from a timber yard here. In fact, I bought all of it and have made a few handplanes and a twin tip kiteboard which has been my "go to" for over three years now. it was a really good learning experience for me and if it sucks in the water it'll look great on the wall...ha.

I'm going to have to glass the deck lightly as it does flex considerably between the sponsons which I would like to lessen but keep ultimately. I will be glassing it this week so have a look and let me know what you think.

Cheers for the inspiration people....

M
20140715_182741.jpg
Attachments
20140921_180232.jpg
20140914_171222.jpg
SJB
Big Wave Charger
City: Santa Barbara
State or Province: CAL

Re: Sea Sled

Unread post by SJB »

Looks like a nice piece of wood work. Length/width? Not familiar with "Western Red"....how much does the board weigh?
Sparx45
Tube master

Unread post by Sparx45 »

Sorry SJB quite right dims would be useful. It's made from Western Redar Cedar (WRC) and dims are:

Length = 120 cm (47 inches)
Width = 55 cm (21 inches)
Depth at Rail = 5cm (approx 2 inches)
Depth at deck =1.9 cm (3/4 of a inch)

It's got a recessed or beaded nose grab and depressions sanded into the deck for elbows other than that it's flat on the deck and hull side. I also included some FCS style fin positioning for a squirrel fin if needed. Not sure what it weighs (about 3kg) without glass and I think it'll be manageable in the water.

Spx
SJB
Big Wave Charger
City: Santa Barbara
State or Province: CAL

Unread post by SJB »

Looks a work of art. I expected it to be heavier. Will be interested to hear how it test drives. Center of gravity looks to be a bit farther forward than I have been used to....and rounded stern is contrary to my personal preference. The foam board with the red trim....what is the story there?
jbw4600
Big Wave Charger
City: Kentfield
State or Province: CA

Unread post by jbw4600 »

Let us know how it rides. I have been curious how those pin tail type paipos ride. Thought about making one.
Sparx45
Tube master

Unread post by Sparx45 »

the board in the background is my sons first effort...he wants to make a mini simmons but I wanted him to learn the basics of shaping first before he farts up a proper US Blank ....its pretty wide but he's six foot two and gangly so it suits his length....ive made some speed keels for it off Rastovich's template which will be Interesting. ..he's enjoyed the experience of shaping and doing the graphics...I do all the grunt work but its all good...its do for glassing shortly...another first for him...I'll post some pic's as we go.

Sparx
matt23
Big Wave Charger
City: Rumansville
State or Province: Norfolk

Unread post by matt23 »

Nice one Sparx, have you done anymore on it?
matt23
Big Wave Charger
City: Rumansville
State or Province: Norfolk

Unread post by matt23 »

At 19mm the flex might be a good thing. It wont suck up water, I took out a WR unsealed one and it was fine.
Sparx45
Tube master

Unread post by Sparx45 »

Hey....no I've not glassed it yet as I was rethinking the idea....maybe just seal it with Kwik Kick instead of a layer of glass....mmm...decisions decisions !