Finless fibreglass boards

What works and what doesn't. Share design ideas, references and contacts for paipo board builders.
bgreen
Big Wave Charger
City: Brisbane
State or Province: Qld

Finless fibreglass boards

Unread post by bgreen »

I'm interested to hear who is riding finless fibreglass boards. I've seen photos of Krusher's boards and of course there is the HPD and John Galera's NOFins. Anyone else riding finless fibreglass boards.

I was toying with something like this. 54" x 20" x 1-2" thick. The outline is based on one of John's boards but without the concave and bottom curves.

Bob
WoodDraft.jpg
Bob
Papa Paepo o
Big Wave Charger
City: Honolulu
State or Province: Hi.
Interests: building & riding Papa Paepo`o (Paipo) Boards. All types and sizes, I even rode a abandon 4'ft - 8'ft. plywood that adrift from a commercial fishing boat in Kewalo Basin, O`ahu in the year of 1996.

Re: Finless fibreglass boards

Unread post by Papa Paepo o »

Nice shape, a really pointy nose. Hows does the board performance?
bgreen
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by bgreen »

Hello Jarrett,

I don't use it too much these days but it has been well used. It's fast and rode well - you're drawing longer lines than a finned board which allow more abrupt direction changes. The design is the result of tracing around the outline of one of John Galera's NoFins.

The funniest story about this board, is that a few years ago I was on holidays and went to a solid point break. A guy who does surf forecasts told me the swell was dropping and I didn't check the coast road but raced to the surf carpark. Didn't see any waves over about 4' and did the rock dance and as I'm paddling out, was getting a bit worked. Turns out the swell was rising not dropping. The long paddle-out was hard work but the waves were a lot of fun as the take-off had a bit of a peak followed by a solid wall.

Bob

P.S I've sent you an e-mail.

Wood2.jpg
Wood2.jpg (53.99 KiB) Viewed 2641 times
soulglider
Big Wave Charger
City: sd
State or Province: ca

Unread post by soulglider »

IMAG0310.jpg
IMAG0312.jpg
IMAG0309.jpg
IMAG0314.jpg
IMAG0315.jpg
Bob, heres some picks of one of the boards i shaped and glassed. its 48x19xthin? 2 layers 4oz on the deck 1 4oz bottom. rides high, rides low, great tube rider, slips out when you want it to. i copied the shape from the weird board i bought from mr. mike. where is mr. mike?
deathbedpaipo.blogspot.com
krusher74
Big Wave Charger
City: easkey
State or Province: co sligo
Interests: Surfing, vintage cars and motorbikes

Unread post by krusher74 »

I like that board soulglider! similar to what I ride,but you have extreme concave, would love to try it out.
bgreen
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by bgreen »

Tim,

Are you still exploring finless boards? Speed wise, how would this board compare with the Space quad displacement hull you posted up?

Tom Wegener's albacore and tuna boards feature long concaves. I was thinking of a flatter bottom. My latest board features a concave - I've ridden it with 1" fins, but not finless as yet.

I'm not sure if I have Mike's current e-mail or if anyone has heard from him of late. Hopefully he is ok.

Bob
soulglider
Big Wave Charger

paipo111.jpg
paipo111.jpg (193.83 KiB) Viewed 2620 times
paipo11.jpg
paipo11.jpg (168.83 KiB) Viewed 2620 times
ive made a couple of others, one with a shallower concave but, it tended to slip out when the wave was critical ( i added small wood twin fins) and the same with another one that was a little longer with dual concaves out the tail. i have also made one with the the same template as the board (paiphull) but was wider and had a slightly different bottom, a large concave like this one but with 2 flutes out on the edges. slid out when try to make sections. all of them work well in the tube and seem like they are just standing still but, its easy to ride them all the way through to the barrels end, the feeling is they are just siting there while in the barrel but i am to make it out so they must be going fast otherwise i would be hammered. oh and a finless spoon (turquois board), worked better with fins.
Belo Velo Finless1.jpg
paipo belo velo.jpg
Attachments
my paipo quiver P8010043.jpg
my paipo quiver P8010043.jpg (116.27 KiB) Viewed 2620 times
bgreen
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by bgreen »

Tim,

Thanks. Some interesting shapes there. Sounds like they hold an edge in a tube but perform less well on fuller sections. Do you think a single big concave works better than the twin shorter concaves? The wood paipos I saw in Hawaii had double concaves, wings on the tail, and noses akin to the first board that you posted.

BTW my e-mail to Mr Mike bounced as undeliverable.

Bob
soulglider
Big Wave Charger

IMAG0203.jpg
the single concave works best in these foam boards. being so deep and 19.5 wide the 2 outside edges work as fins. it works in every part of the wave, is by far the best finless foam board ive made to date. i found that in the reefs here in LoCal wider than 20" finless tends to slip out with any whitewater getting under it, this is what i meant by sections. if the wave had enough speed to get you around these areas they perform great in all aspects, turns, tubes etc. my wood paipos that are 24" widex48"x.5" all have wings on them and do help them to turn. im gunna do a drive by mr. mikes house and see whats up.
bgreen
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by bgreen »

Tim,

Thanks. This is what I meant by a wing. I haven't acknowledged who made the board because I know he doesn't want publicity.
WoodTail.jpg
WoodTail.jpg (10.63 KiB) Viewed 2597 times
Interesting idea for a wood board. I did a quick search and the current Aipa stingers look quite subtle. Lots of variety in how far forward/back the board pulls in.

I hope Mike is ok.

Bob