California Surfcraft Bodypo Review

What works and what doesn't. Share design ideas, references and contacts for paipo board builders.
flojo
Big Wave Charger
City: Ventura County
State or Province: california
Interests: bike riding, surfing, music

Re: California Surfcraft Bodypo Review

Unread post by flojo »

Hey Og-are those measurements you give right at the nose and tail? (sometimes measurements for boards are taken 12" from nose or tail so I just wanted to clarify)
I like the looks of that board-
OG-AZN
Big Wave Charger
City: Oakland
State or Province: CA

Unread post by OG-AZN »

Yes, the nose & tail measurements are at the very ends of the board.
Uncle Grumpy
Big Wave Charger
City: San Clemente
State or Province: California
Interests: Surfing, Surfboards, Surf History, Fishing, Boats, Dogs, Books

Unread post by Uncle Grumpy »

Ready for fun.

Hopefully will be able to post up a ride report in the next couple days.

Paipo surfer in repose,
Nose on the nose,
No grunting he-man pose.
See how fast he goes!
What is it he knows?
soulglider
Big Wave Charger
City: sd
State or Province: ca

Unread post by soulglider »

pretty. looks totally store bought. on yours the center looks depressed. on others it looks raised. which is it? outsiders want to know.
deathbedpaipo.blogspot.com
GeoffreyLevens
Big Wave Charger
City: Paonia
State or Province: Colorado

Unread post by GeoffreyLevens »

soulglider wrote:pretty. looks totally store bought. on yours the center looks depressed. on others it looks raised. which is it? outsiders want to know.
It is raised. That look of concavity is just an artifact of photographic depth flattening
bgreen
Big Wave Charger
City: Brisbane
State or Province: Qld

Unread post by bgreen »

I guess the elevated section gives a bit more thickness for flotation allowing thinness in the rails.
GeoffreyLevens
Big Wave Charger

bgreen wrote:I guess the elevated section gives a bit more thickness for flotation allowing thinness in the rails.
If I remember correctly it is more for flex/stiffness modulation in the build.
GeoffreyLevens
Big Wave Charger

Both. Here is quote from above in thread that is quote from the designer

"The flex of the board is related to the thickness of the cork, the weight of the fiberglass and how much resin is used. The mechanics of composite design state that when a composite is made twice as thick, it becomes 8 times as stiff. My boards have a center dorsal "bump" on the top of the board - you can see this in all the photos. This bump has a few functions. It makes the board thicker and stiffer in the center. In that way it acts like a stringer, but because it covers a larger area it distributes the stiffness differently than a traditional stringer. (It also creates more float.)"
bgreen
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by bgreen »

Geoffrey,

I searched a few other threads, not thinking to search through this one. I'll be interested to hear if there is flex or how/where it flexs.

Sounds like the boards aren't difficult to shape and not toxic, which is a bonus.

Bob
GeoffreyLevens
Big Wave Charger

On all fronts seems like a pretty genius creation to me. Certainly not for everyone but a "one design" that perhaps beats the ubiquitous bodyboard in a great many aspects
flojo
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by flojo »

bgreen...in answer to your question,.it flexes
bgreen
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by bgreen »

Flojo,

Thanks. Are you saying it flexes if you stand on the beach and bend or in the surf? If the latter, when do you notice it flexing?

Bob
flojo
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by flojo »

Hey Bob, both-if you play around with it you can bend it by hand but it is not weak, it is a nice springy flex. In the water, I have pressed down on the nose while trying to drop into a wave and the flex I was able to generate helps me get into waves. A better rider probably has more examples of use of the flex--
bgreen
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by bgreen »

Flojo,

Thanks. Do you notice the flex when riding the wave?

Bob
flojo
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by flojo »

not yet, but I am just learning to ride it....
flojo
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by flojo »

Hey Bob, If you look at OG-Azns initial review of the board at the start of this thread, he mentions flex while riding.
bgreen
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by bgreen »

Thanks. I'll see if Og chimes in. Sounds like it was manipulating the nose area. perhaps more - I'll wait to see.

Bob
OG-AZN
Big Wave Charger
City: Oakland

Unread post by OG-AZN »

I guess the best comparison on how the board flexes is with a bodyboard. The Bodypo definitely doesn't flex as much as a bodyboard, but the way it flexes is similar. As Flojo said, you can see the flex in the board on land. I've noticed the boards seem to stiffen up a bit in colder (50 degree range) water similar to how polypro bodyboards do. I wonder if they loosen up in warm water like bodyboards. The boards I initially tested were prototypes, and flexed more than current production boards and blanks. I think the production boards were made stiffer as a concession towards durability. The 2 boards I own are made from current production blanks. I've never experienced the boards overflexing or feeling flimsy while surfing hard breaking sandbar waves. The caveat is I haven't had the opportunity to ride them in anything over 8ft face though.

You notice the flex when bottom turning and driving towards the lip. The board flexes and recoils in a positive way in that situation, like a bodyboard. You also notice it in hollow waves were you can flex the board to conform to the wave shape & situation more easily than a typical plywood board. You also notice it on landings were the flex softens the impact. I saw a recent blog or Facebook post were Dave said he's trying to up size the blanks to 48" x 24". That should open up a lot more possibilities with these boards.
GeoffreyLevens
Big Wave Charger

The caveat is I haven't had the opportunity to ride them in anything over 8ft face though.
That's at OB though and waves there tend to be mas beefy compared to most other surf spots
davehahn
Big Wave Charger
City: San Francisco

Unread post by davehahn »

Hi all - Flojo and Uncle Grumpy, I'm glad the blanks were easy to work with. I've found the same. The material is largely non-toxic, but I still recommend wearing a mask because of the fiberglass dust that'll kick up during shaping. Uncle Grumpy, I'm looking forward to your ride report, I hope you're getting some swell this weekend.

OG-AZN is right — I'm working on providing larger blanks. The new sizes will be great for all of us, myself included, but it'll also be a bit more expensive for all of us, myself included. I haven't figured out exactly how much more, but I like keeping the blank price as low as possible. I'm also working on different shapes for the panel stringer (the raised area), and other experiments.

I see some more questions about the flex. Again, the Bodypo is governed by composite mechanics and the interplay between the cork and the fiberglass. The fiberglass creates strength, the cork (specifically the thickness of the cork) creates stiffness. Strength and stiffness are two separate characteristics here. So if I wanted to make a Bodypo that flexed more, I'd make it thinner with more fiberglass. That would make it less stiff, and the added fiberglass would create the strength needed to flex without breaking. However, nothing comes for free - if you make the board thinner you also makes it less buoyant. The thickness (really, the volume) of the cork dictates the buoyancy. The current dims of the board reflect what I think is the right balance between weight, flex, stiffness, strength, buoyancy and price for this design and materials.