Very latest wing board

What works and what doesn't. Share design ideas, references and contacts for paipo board builders.
bgreen
Big Wave Charger
City: Brisbane
State or Province: Qld

Re: Very latest wing board

Unread post by bgreen »

Chrispi,

The only BB rider from SA I know of is Shaun Rosen from Jeffreys Bay.

Rod has now posted two 60s articles about BB's from South Africa and I recently came across this photo taken at Port Elizabeth.
PEBeach.jpg
PEBeach.jpg (45.07 KiB) Viewed 9392 times
Bob
CHRISPI
Big Wave Charger
City: Durban
State or Province: Natals

Unread post by CHRISPI »

Thanks Bob Paipo riders are fare and few in this country. The first test ride was disappointing the board is now pitch sensitive and bogs out if slightly off pitch, it duck dives well with along adjustable glide path. The waves were very weak 1m 9 sec, although all my other boards felt strange on their first ride, testing will continue
bgreen
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by bgreen »

It might need a bigger/better wave to get going, more time or you've found the limits of what works. Did you start off making a standard finned/finned bellyboard before progressing to the foils? Just curious.
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger
City: Arbutus Land
State or Province: Maryland
Interests: Waveriding, travel and the Paipo Research Project

Unread post by rodndtube »

bgreen wrote:Chrispi,

The only BB rider from SA I know of is Shaun Rosen from Jeffreys Bay.

Rod has now posted two 60s articles about BB's from South Africa and I recently came across this photo taken at Port Elizabeth.
PEBeach.jpg
Bob
There is also some interesting reads in a series of books by Walker on surfing (kipapa-style of course) being introduced to South Africa in and around 1910, by way of Australia. South Africa, in-turn, had a hand in introducing prone surfing to the UK (documentation passed along to me in the past month or so). Snippets of the Walker series of monographs/books can be found on the Annotated Bibliography (http://mypaipoboards.org/pubs/BookSumma ... er_Michael).
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

"The sea doth wash away all human ills."
-- Euripides.
krusher74
Big Wave Charger
City: easkey
State or Province: co sligo
Interests: Surfing, vintage cars and motorbikes

Unread post by krusher74 »

GeoffreyLevens
Big Wave Charger
City: Paonia
State or Province: Colorado

Unread post by GeoffreyLevens »

That looks like a heck of a good time!
zensuni
Big Wave Charger
City: Bordeaux
State or Province: Aquitaine

Unread post by zensuni »

Nice board ! Just a question, the hydrofoil fin is quite big, does it create a lot of drag ? I guess it requires juicy waves
CHRISPI
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by CHRISPI »

My theory says foils give less form drag than semi displacement hulls so they should need less wave face angel to get the same speed , Remember it plains on the foil face at top speed, but is submerged at lower speeds giving lots of low drag lift in a compact lift area.
zensuni
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by zensuni »

During your test ride, did you feel the board lift after getting some speed ? If so do you need high speed ?
CHRISPI
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by CHRISPI »

This is the biggest problem I have , obtaining verifiable data .I have never seen my boards deep in a barrel from an outside pov, I have only experienced it from a on board pov,its hard to see what is going on under the board , I try to surf the same break to try get some consistence , the only other performance date I get is to see how fare other surf craft travel on the same break . What I really need is an open minded test rider that can communicate and test the envelop letting me have an outside pov. Wave pools might allow consistent data capture. The last test on the white board was inconclusive the waves where very weak, one of the best features on all my boards is they don’t need to bottom turn on takeoff, making more near close out waves makeable . To answer you question it seems to engage the fin tip in the wave face as the face jacks vertical giving a near horizontal glide path on the wave face, I have had comments like ‘’ you seem to hang up in there ‘’ I can get and stay high in barrels allowing more ways out
zensuni
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by zensuni »

You wrote that the board gripped very well in vertical part of the waves, do you think it is because of the horizontal fins (the plane wings under the board) which are larger than the board is, so it is like having an extra piece of rail leafing the wave ?
Wooddave
Big Wave Charger
City: Melbourne
State or Province: Florida

Unread post by Wooddave »

It's just a wild guess but ,, It might be possible that the wing edge and the board rail are acting together to suck water in between the two (using the Bernoulli effect) resulting in better hold on the face.
Maybe not,,,
Your shape is way more complex than mine so it's probably creating hold in a different way than mine but when my wing stuck out that far I was able to stay engaged in the more vertical part of the face, but because it was so far away from the center of my board (body) I had to compensate by leaning way over towards the face to keep from tipping over.
Do you feel like you have to do that to some extent while in a face ? or is the center of lift still pretty close to the center of your craft?
CHRISPI
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by CHRISPI »

Yes the Coanda effect is always part of my thought process and should be with all builders dealing with channels, concaves, strakes, chins etc on surf craft. I can get hit by a sizable lip and still hold my line, that is also the reason I moved away from centre spine mounted wing to strut mounted to allow water to move freely between the two surfaces, the main hull rails do guide in the lower part of the face, the faster you go gets it up onto one fin tip the leverage requires a very firm grip technique to control. That is why the wing tips are moving forward on my latest boards to control the nose down tendency at top speed.
CHRISPI
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by CHRISPI »

Here are most of my rail evolutions from the past 15 years. The body board was the base line .I asked could it be improve on. Part of the thought process was how would a F 1 engineer go about it, and how would nature do it
Attachments
GOPR2336.JPG
GOPR2332.JPG
GOPR2330.JPG
bgreen
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by bgreen »

Chrispi,

What are the boards in the bottom photo? The yellow one looked intriguing.

Bob
CHRISPI
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by CHRISPI »

Thay are the early boards strakes chin and concaves; the yellow board is probably my best board very fast controllable and balanced. But as my build ability grew I had to try the more complex fin [wing] set ups, they have got progressively harder to control and don’t have a natural balance but when they are pitched properly they are mind blowing
bgreen
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by bgreen »

Can you post some more photos of the yellow board?
CHRISPI
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by CHRISPI »

GOPR2342.JPG
Good looking board ?
Attachments
GOPR2339.JPG
GOPR2340.JPG
GOPR2341.JPG
GeoffreyLevens
Big Wave Charger
City: Paonia
State or Province: Colorado

Unread post by GeoffreyLevens »

1967 went to San Onofre on really big South swell (8 ft faces maybe) with my high school science teacher who was a total mad mad former pro football player, surf rat Chinese-Hawaiian from HI. He road a balsa paipo shaped like a milder version of the yellow board. Totally ripped, high speed carves all over the wave. He would go out for maybe 1/2 hour, catch two or 3 waves, then come in and drink cold ones w/ the old guys...

Board stuck in my mind ever since
bgreen
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by bgreen »

Chrispi,

CHRISPI wrote:Thay are the early boards strakes chin and concaves; the yellow board is probably my best board very fast controllable and balanced. But as my build ability grew I had to try the more complex fin [wing] set ups, they have got progressively harder to control and don’t have a natural balance but when they are pitched properly they are mind blowing
If the yellow board is probably the best one, would you return to that design or is there something else you are looking for? It does indeed look like a good board(s). Top and bottom both look interesting.

Bob