New Paipo Board Build

What works and what doesn't. Share design ideas, references and contacts for paipo board builders.
jbw4600
Big Wave Charger
City: Kentfield
State or Province: CA

Re: New Paipo Board Build

Unread post by jbw4600 »

They are your regular medium large thruster side fins. I like them alot. I have used them on other main board.
HEIGHT: 4.75" / 120 mm
BASE: 4.60" / 117 mm
AREA: 16.17"² / 104.3 cm²

http://www.trueames.com/collections/fcs ... -surf-fins
nomastomas
Big Wave Charger
City: Ojai
Interests: Surfing, cycling and fishing

Unread post by nomastomas »

This past week I used the same 4.7", CI/AM1/S-7 template on my quad with the 3.25" rear fins in 5-7' surf in San Diego (courtesy Hurricane Linda). What a blast! Very pivot-y turns and, excellent hold and drive. I don't think you can go too big fin-wise if you're over 180lbs.
"This is a paipo site...isn't it?"
www.tp4surf.com
jbw4600
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by jbw4600 »

Thomas, I am glad you liked them. Alot of people think that they are kind of big. What they don't realize is that these are only about 16 square inches and most keel like fins are about 26 sq ". Even my Twinzer and Aipa twins are about 19 sq ". And most people describe their fish or mini simmons as being "loose". For me at 200 lbs they work great... very loose but plenty of drive when you want it. Just like you say!!
jbw4600
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by jbw4600 »

Here is my finished with the pad on.[img]
WP_20150902_22_48_19_Pro[1].jpg
[/img][img]
WP_20150902_22_49_15_Pro[1].jpg
[/img]. I have been riding it for awhile now. I haven't had any really great surf, but some different waves big and small. It rides great with the pad on. But it definitely added some float, but not too much. I think it has about the same volume as my 51 1/2" board. What I amazed but is how it paddles and kicks. It paddles better than my bigger boards even ones with more volume. I think it is because being shorter you are further forward on the board, when paddling. Also the fish tail helps you lay further up on the board. I kept the rails a little to help with paddling and the bottom is pretty flat out to the edge. I originally built this board for summer beach break where you have to duck dive a lot. But I see that it ended up having more volume than expected. I am going to make a more precise caliper gauge. But it still duck dives pretty well. I am going to make a thinner version sometime. Right now it it is great for all conditions. I used to think that I could take my last board anywhere. Now I feel the same with this one.

Here are my final thoughts from this build: Unless you don't have much money or you have lots time on your hands, I think it is better to have some else glass it. Epoxy is very time consuming (at least the way I did it.). Also my board would look a lot nicer if someone glassed it. I am going to hotwire my next few boards. Once I create some rocker templates. I think it will make things go a lot faster and won't be as messy ... less foam dust all over place. Creating the rocker is the hardest part when starting with a EPS block of foam. 2 layers of 6 oz seems heavier than 3 layers of 4 oz. I might go with less next time. Also with color I think it best to do cut laps on both sides. One of the other time consuming things is sanding down on the rails where you tape off the hot and gloss coats. If I glass again, I'll be sure to smooth out the line after taking the tape off. Also to speed things I'll do a cheater coat after laminating. With epoxy I don't know it works, because it take time for it go off. And I don't know if you can do it and have it soft enough to cut the lap. Also, I would use the faster Super Sap epoxy. I screwed up the the relief cuts on the corners. So I had to fill it in a little.
Pes78
Big Wave Charger
City: San Diego
State or Province: CALIFORNIA

Unread post by Pes78 »

I feel you on the glassing I just finished my first one and I had some issues. Not sure if I will glass again. Board looks good though, are you coming down for the gathering would like to try it out.

Paul
krusher74
Big Wave Charger
City: easkey
State or Province: co sligo
Interests: Surfing, vintage cars and motorbikes

Unread post by krusher74 »

How is the cove pad for moving around on the board, can you move around easily?

I agree with smaller boards allowing you to get further forward and not snowplough when paddling, I almost have my knee caps on the back corners when I arm paddle

I should be out in late december, if i get up to OB on a swell we will have to meet up. :D
jbw4600
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by jbw4600 »

You can move around just fine with the Cove pad. It's not that sticky. I still slide off a little sometimes. I have learned to love these pads.
krusher74
Big Wave Charger

Out of interest I have been playing around with shape 3D lite, so I thought I would model your board.

I think you are roughly in the 26/27L range and the cove pad would add 1L

What height and weight are you if its not inappropriate for a gentleman to ask? :?
jbw4600
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by jbw4600 »

Hi, sorry I didn't reply to your question earlier. I am 6 ft 212 lbs (standard). The volume is just about right for me. I am going to make an identical model a little thinner and with thinner rails just try it out.
krusher74
Big Wave Charger

jbw4600 wrote:Hi, sorry I didn't reply to your question earlier. I am 6 ft 212 lbs (standard). The volume is just about right for me. I am going to make an identical model a little thinner and with thinner rails just try it out.
I'm 170lbs, so if i scale my preferred volume of 23L up to your weight 212, I get 28.5L, So sounds like you are getting on with a low volume board well.

I would be more tempted to next board keep your volume, just thin out the rail to the tail for more bite and harder turns if thats the direction you want your surfin to move in

Its a fun experiment! :D