My Latest

What works and what doesn't. Share design ideas, references and contacts for paipo board builders.
soulglider
Big Wave Charger
City: sd
State or Province: ca

Re: My Latest

Unread post by soulglider »

pez, lookin good! the board you borrowed from me is 4/6 oz stepped on the deck and 4 oz on the bottom. remember the flex you felt in that one? you will feel it in yours as well, but you and i shop in the men's dept (heavier than average). shorter, id guess under 4'5", you must go thinner and the lighter the glass job has to be to get the flex youre looking for. for instance, my twinny thats 4'3 is 1.25 thick and flexes plenty. flex is the reason i have my boards glassed with epoxy, stronger and more flexible, in my discussions with Jeff McCallum and Brian Hilbers etc. Its another discussion of whether or not the flex you feel actually does anything to add technically to performance other than feeling really good. Especially in combo with a flex fin.
deathbedpaipo.blogspot.com
Pes78
Big Wave Charger
City: San Diego
State or Province: CALIFORNIA

Unread post by Pes78 »

Thomas it is a blue density 7'3"A from US Blanks. I took a lot of foam out of it from the top more then I wanted. This was supposed to be a kneeboard, trying to go for a Greenough spoon inspired but leaving foam in it because well San Diego doesn't have the wave machine that is a certain righthander up your way. Tim yes I'm hoping to feel some flex how much? I'm not sure, if anything I'm using the Futures Blacksticks F8 in the fronts and Blacksticks quad rears for it. On my other boards on the few hard turns I made I felt the spring from the fins, so looking forward to getting it in the water.
krusher74
Big Wave Charger
City: easkey
State or Province: co sligo
Interests: Surfing, vintage cars and motorbikes

Unread post by krusher74 »

Pes78 wrote:Thomas it is a blue density 7'3"A from US Blanks. I took a lot of foam out of it from the top more then I wanted. This was supposed to be a kneeboard, trying to go for a Greenough spoon inspired but leaving foam in it because well San Diego doesn't have the wave machine that is a certain righthander up your way. Tim yes I'm hoping to feel some flex how much? I'm not sure, if anything I'm using the Futures Blacksticks F8 in the fronts and Blacksticks quad rears for it. On my other boards on the few hard turns I made I felt the spring from the fins, so looking forward to getting it in the water.
I used a 7'2A blue for my first board and as you can imagine when shaped down to a less that 4ft board you are left with the low density centre of the blank, pressure dent-arama!

Will be using a http://usblanks.com/catalog/fish-eggs/510rp/ in green this time to try to end up with a denser board.

My one venture into epoxy eps did exactly what thomas said, low density eps pressure dented and epoxy sprung back leaving de-laminated void. :(