Rail shapes for finless hold.

What works and what doesn't. Share design ideas, references and contacts for paipo board builders.
bgreen
Big Wave Charger
City: Brisbane
State or Province: Qld

Re: Rail shapes for finless hold.

Unread post by bgreen »

The previous board is ridden with and without fins.

Here is a rail shot of a John Galera NoFin
NoFinRail.jpg
NoFinRail.jpg (66.41 KiB) Viewed 1348 times
Whereas the previous board had a concave in the tail, this board has a concave deck. The photo has been flipped, but it is now deck up.

Bob
bgreen
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by bgreen »

A thin, 2 kg finless board. Cork deck. Chin rail on the bottom blends into a concave.
Huie.jpg
Huie.jpg (68.17 KiB) Viewed 1348 times

Bob
krusher74
Big Wave Charger
City: easkey
State or Province: co sligo
Interests: Surfing, vintage cars and motorbikes

Unread post by krusher74 »

Hmmm, so still a couple of chines there :o the nofin having a very similar rail to the rail I have on my board. I still cant work out he physics of what that chine is doing :?

Your blue board that I rode was very fast and has a normal looking 50/50 to maybe 60/40 tuck, so don't know whether to put that speed down to rail, fin drive,flat rocker and board length, but i guess its the sum of them all.
bgreen
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by bgreen »

Krusher,

The red, white and blue board has more like 60:40 or less. A board is certainly something more than it's parts. One feature that Larry reckoned contributed to speed was the boards profile, with more foam down the tail end and less up front. My boards have very little foam up front and bit of an S deck. Surfboards typically have more foam under the chest. Tail is about 3" narrower than the wide point, which is about 2" forward of the centre-mark. Bottoms are typically flat, but the red, white and blue board has a fair concave. 21" width helps as well.

The chine really was a means for the shaper to get concave in. He struggled bit because there wasn't much foam up the front. The next board is a bit thicker.

Bob