Cork and bamboo paipo

What works and what doesn't. Share design ideas, references and contacts for paipo board builders.
OG-AZN
Big Wave Charger
City: Oakland
State or Province: CA

Re: Cork and bamboo paipo

Unread post by OG-AZN »

Subjectively, traditional paipos have always felt faster to me than other boards. The bamboo board rode exactly as I would have expected from a ply board or HPD in terms of performance and also what riding style it favored.
nomastomas
Big Wave Charger
City: Ojai
Interests: Surfing, cycling and fishing

Unread post by nomastomas »

No surprise, flat is definitely fastest, but....
"This is a paipo site...isn't it?"
www.tp4surf.com
davehahn
Big Wave Charger
City: San Francisco

Unread post by davehahn »

bgreen wrote:Trevor,

Does this mean the bamboo board is way faster than the Bodypo, you're just a speedy guy or did the inside had a better launching pad?

Bob
I'll say this...when Trev say "caught up to Dave", what he really means is "flew past Dave". We split the peak and he went the opposite direction. I couldn't believe he turned and still out ran me!

If anybody is interested, I just put this board up on eBay for a 3-day auction:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/-/181929844811

Trev told me not to sell the board because he wanted to keep riding it, ha. Sorry Trev! I'll make another sometime.
OG-AZN
Big Wave Charger
City: Oakland

Unread post by OG-AZN »

Oh bummer!! Would've loved to ride that thing more. Good luck w/ the auction. Might be a sleeper deal for someone. That board looks and rides like a traditional paipo, but there's a lot of modern innovative stuff underneath.

Might have to get me a custom then. I'd like to see what happens if you play with the proportions in your design program.
davehahn
Big Wave Charger

Sounds fun to me. You should come to the workshop sometime.
bgreen
Big Wave Charger
City: Brisbane
State or Province: Qld

Unread post by bgreen »

Dave,

Given the speed of the latest board, what direction are you heading with the next ne?

Bob
davehahn
Big Wave Charger

Honestly, I liked this board - especially how it looks - but I find the ride a little uninspiring. It was very fast, but I prefer the Bodypo. The paipo outran the Bodypo on one wave, but I think it was more Trev's skills than the board. Trev could outrun me on a dinner plate. I'd like to try another paipo with a concave bottom, but I'm not sure the traditional paipo shape is something I want to do a lot of. Maybe I'll change my mind someday, but that's what I think right now.
krusher74
Big Wave Charger
City: easkey
State or Province: co sligo
Interests: Surfing, vintage cars and motorbikes

Unread post by krusher74 »

davehahn wrote:Honestly, I liked this board - especially how it looks - but I find the ride a little uninspiring. It was very fast, but I prefer the Bodypo. The paipo outran the Bodypo on one wave, but I think it was more Trev's skills than the board. Trev could outrun me on a dinner plate. I'd like to try another paipo with a concave bottom, but I'm not sure the traditional paipo shape is something I want to do a lot of. Maybe I'll change my mind someday, but that's what I think right now.
I think you are right on the skills vs the board speed thing. The deeper you are on a wave the more in the power pocket you are and if you harness that power you can fly out of the pocket and past a surfero the shoulder. I have done this many times on a slow bodyboarder and shot past a surfer burig me on the shoulder.

Did you find a noticeable difference with the concave you put in that one board?

How about trying you bodypo rail and tail, with a round nose (and concave to V)?

I found loosing that one front corner traditional to a bodyboard means you have a much wider choice of where to put your wave side hand, This is godd for gripping a bit further forward and keeping your shoulder/ elbow in and out of the wave face, I also find with my arm stretched out a little more it stop the tention in my neck/shoulder muscles.

I am over in cali 12dec to 29th, will hopfully get up and have a try 8-)
davehahn
Big Wave Charger

Yeah, come up to San Francisco and lets test some boards! I like your comment about the round nose. There's another corker who shaped his Bodypo from a blank with a round nose and an asymmetrical tail. I haven't ridden it, he's down in SoCal, but it looks like a fun board.
12106841_10208258322039911_2019285942124236065_n.jpg
Bob, I thought more about your question, and to answer it further, I'd like to try an even thinner board next. I'm thinking around 3/8" thick. I mean...how thin is just totally impractical with this construction technique? I'd like to find out. I imagine it'll have less float and more flex. It may not work at all. But if it does, what will the speed be like? I'm not sure about the shape yet. Maybe a bodyboard shape with a round nose as krusher74 suggests. Wider than my last one. Maybe I'll include a little carbon fiber through the center.

I'd also like to make a stand-up board. I've been thinking about this for awhile. Bamboo, fiberglass and cork. Maybe 1.25" thick and 8' long. I'd like to try a mini malibu shape and rocker. Single fin to start, maybe I'd add more fin boxes later. I'm not sure how it would turn out, but it'll be fun to try. The thing with a stand-up board is that it'll need to have enough float to arm paddle. None of my previous boards have been designed with that much buoyancy.

Anybody know where I could look for the standard dims (rocker included) for an 8' mini mal?