Old Skool bodyboard shape but configured to your body shape.

What works and what doesn't. Share design ideas, references and contacts for paipo board builders.
Papa Paepo o
Big Wave Charger
City: Honolulu
State or Province: Hi.
Interests: building & riding Papa Paepo`o (Paipo) Boards. All types and sizes, I even rode a abandon 4'ft - 8'ft. plywood that adrift from a commercial fishing boat in Kewalo Basin, O`ahu in the year of 1996.

Old Skool bodyboard shape but configured to your body shape.

Unread post by Papa Paepo o »

Just started shaping my own wood boards. Generated three different size boards that could tackle small ankle surf to Makaha Kahuna size waves.
These are my mid-size wood paipo "Papa Paepo`o" boards. Shaping your own design and fine tuning them to the surf breaks really made me realize that you don't need much thickness. These boards are configured to your body size so you have little body shifting left or right to maneuver when needed, realistically acting like a bodysurfer (Kahanalu) style. Funtime prone style when your skimming across the surface.
The only thing these wood boards has is a nose rocker and contour. The rest of the board is flat bottom, 6oz. fiberglass cloth top and bottom deck coated with epoxy resin.
The only thing these wood boards has is a nose rocker and contour. The rest of the board is flat bottom, 6oz. fiberglass cloth top and bottom deck coated with epoxy resin.
Eastside O`ahu, malolo style of prone riding into shore breaks.
Eastside O`ahu, malolo style of prone riding into shore breaks.
Attachments
6O0V1732.jpg
bgreen
Big Wave Charger
City: Brisbane
State or Province: Qld

Re: Old Skool bodyboard shape but configured to your body sh

Unread post by bgreen »

How does the small wave board differ from the Makaha Kahuna size wave board?
Papa Paepo o
Big Wave Charger
City: Honolulu
State or Province: Hi.
Interests: building & riding Papa Paepo`o (Paipo) Boards. All types and sizes, I even rode a abandon 4'ft - 8'ft. plywood that adrift from a commercial fishing boat in Kewalo Basin, O`ahu in the year of 1996.

Unread post by Papa Paepo o »

bgreen wrote:How does the small wave board differ from the Makaha Kahuna size wave board?
No, difference just in genreal that these three size boards can be ridden in small to Makaha size waves.
OG-AZN
Big Wave Charger
City: Oakland
State or Province: CA

Unread post by OG-AZN »

Nice! What kind of wood are you using? How much rocker in the nose? Post up a pic of that if you can.