The latest melaleuca missile # 5

What works and what doesn't. Share design ideas, references and contacts for paipo board builders.
bgreen
Big Wave Charger
City: Brisbane
State or Province: Qld

The latest melaleuca missile # 5

Unread post by bgreen »

My latest board does what I have been looking for: surfs hollow waves, duckdives well and is fast.

It's made by Chris Garrett of Phantom. He had wanted to turn it into a spoon but when I saw the tail (I had shown him some photos of Michael Drury's dished out decks), I decided to leave the foam that was left there (it's too thin to take FCS plugs and the single fin box is visible from the deck - just). It's 4'5 3/4" x 21 x 1 7/8". Lighter glass job than usual - 2 layers of 6 oz", though the tail has an extra layer.
MM5-side-S.jpg
MM5-side-S.jpg (63.5 KiB) Viewed 6513 times
MM5Foil2.jpg
MM5Deck2-S.jpg
The photo below was taken before the fin box had been put in. It has wings at the tail.
MM5Bottom-S.jpg
What I also like, is that I can ride it both finned and finless. Both go great.
NewFin-original.jpg
NewFin-original.jpg (51.67 KiB) Viewed 6513 times
The fin is based on this one but an inch or so shorter (about 6.25").

The board has some interesting qualities - foam is obviously forward which aids wave catching. In photos, I also see that I often hold the nose area (perhaps a result of riding a handled board for a while).

Bob
soulglider
Big Wave Charger
City: sd
State or Province: ca

Re: The latest melaleuca missile # 5

Unread post by soulglider »

bitchin board bob! i think youll find that the board will act very spoony with the rear rails thick like it is. ive tried a bunch of spoons for prone surfing and found that because you are laying down on the board the flex (if there is any) should be farther forward (as your board has) to act the same as a spoon, since you wont/dont have your knees to push down on as you pull up with your hands as with a true spoon. cudos!
deathbedpaipo.blogspot.com
krusher74
Big Wave Charger
City: easkey
State or Province: co sligo
Interests: Surfing, vintage cars and motorbikes

Unread post by krusher74 »

Do you have any pics of you riding, if your holding the nose can you turn from that position or do you have to move back to turn? Any do you find to ride it in different positions depending on finned or finless?
bgreen
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by bgreen »

Tim,

Thanks. I can't really take a lot of the credit. I asked for a board that was a big diversion from my previous boards - rounded pin, with a scooped deck. After discussion, watching some footage of me surfing the previous board, the idea was a compromise of sorts. Stick with the basic Goddard inspired shape, but narrow the tail. My contribution was to retain foam. A single fin was the only fin that would fit. The winged tail was entirely the shaper's idea. The three layers of glass on the bottom was in anticipation of a spoon. We had talked about a flex tail a few times.

I can't say I can feel flex. The board has more foam than a spoon though less than most other boards. I recalled Greenough's critique of the spoon in less than optimal waves, so didn't want to go completely down that road. There was also the question of wave catching ability. Is it the case, a spoon ridden prone, has to be usually ridden further forward?

keith,

The only photos are the attempt 3 video. Later this week I hope to get to ride the board in long lefts and get some better footage. So far, the only real difference, is the better hold in fuller waves with the finned board. I don't tend to move around a lot when riding. After Soulglider's comments I'll give more attention to my overall position which must be further forward, because, if I was riding the board you surfed with a handle, I'd virtually be over the handle.
Uncle Grumpy
Big Wave Charger
City: San Clemente
State or Province: California
Interests: Surfing, Surfboards, Surf History, Fishing, Boats, Dogs, Books

Unread post by Uncle Grumpy »

Aloha Bob,
Looks like a heap o' fun.
Please show some more pictures of the bottom. A tail end view down the stringer without the fin would be nice.
Paipo surfer in repose,
Nose on the nose,
No grunting he-man pose.
See how fast he goes!
What is it he knows?
nomastomas
Big Wave Charger
City: Ojai
State or Province: CA
Interests: Surfing, cycling and fishing

Unread post by nomastomas »

Nice iteration LG's work! First board that I've seen on this site that I'd actually like to ride. Are the rails tucked? 50/50? 60/40? Why a single-fin not a multi-fin and what determined the location of the fin? Bottom contours? How wide is the tailblock?
"This is a paipo site...isn't it?"
www.tp4surf.com
GeoffreyLevens
Big Wave Charger
City: Paonia
State or Province: Colorado

Unread post by GeoffreyLevens »

That is a fine looking board! I'd be very curious how it would ride with small keels (either traditional 2 or more a "speed dialer" quad type set up) instead of as a single fin.
bgreen
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by bgreen »

Ok,

Here goes in no particular order:

The rail about mid-way or so:
MM5_Rail2.jpg
MM5_Rail2.jpg (120.77 KiB) Viewed 6474 times
The rail near the tail:
MM5_RailTail.jpg
MM5_RailTail.jpg (95.82 KiB) Viewed 6474 times
The view tail to nose, deck -up
MM5_deckup.jpg
MM5_deckup.jpg (79.76 KiB) Viewed 6474 times
The view tail to nose, bottom up.
MM5_TailView.jpg
MM5_TailView.jpg (62.11 KiB) Viewed 6474 times

The tail is 19" wide, 12" from the tail and 15" wide, 1" from the tail.

Originally I wanted twin-fins, but the board thickness didn't allow FCS plugs. Chris was going to do small glass-ons, but this is a travel board. I've ridden a f fin bonzer, two fins is probably enough for me. The single fin box location was the shaper's decision and also probably a matter of finding enough foam for it to fit. He is keen to explore finless possibilities, hence the wings, and so am I.

If I've left something out - ask on.
GeoffreyLevens
Big Wave Charger

That is beautiful with a whole lot going on in the shape! To me, looks like perfect thickness and rail thickness as well; I tend to like thin.
bgreen
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by bgreen »

Geoffrey,

Thanks. I was initially wanting to try a pair of twins, but am happy with the single. I did wonder how twins would interact with the wings - might go well or work against each other. Like many of our boards - its a bit of an experiment.

Bob
CHRISPI
Big Wave Charger
City: Durban
State or Province: Natals

Unread post by CHRISPI »

I like the rail thickness as well; I see it can be difficult to interpret pictures at a first glance on unconventional shapes. Nice board
soulglider
Big Wave Charger
City: sd
State or Province: ca

Unread post by soulglider »

Bob, I don't see wings?
deathbedpaipo.blogspot.com
GeoffreyLevens
Big Wave Charger

bgreen wrote:I did wonder how twins would interact with the wings - might go well or work against each other. Like many of our boards - its a bit of an experiment.

Bob
Yes, I think fin placement w/ twins could be a very finicky deal vs the wings. If done just right the wings could act as canards or similar. Maybe...
nomastomas
Big Wave Charger
City: Ojai
State or Province: CA
Interests: Surfing, cycling and fishing

Unread post by nomastomas »

The FCS Fusion plug sets 5/8"/16mm deep. My glasser likes an additional 1/4" of foam between the bottom of the plug and the deck, so I add another 1/8" to that and shoot for 1" thickness minimum where I'm planning to install fins. These are the kind of things that have to be considered during the design phase, and carefully monitored while shaping. I like the "wing" rail for a finless board. All of my doodling of finless shapes have wings to one extent or another. I don't think it would interfere to have rail fins with wings, as long as the fin is not set too close to the rail. In my mind, such an application would be similar to a quad-fin set up. I would guestimate that you have 25L-26L of volume. How much does your new board weigh? How does the ride differ finned vs. finless?
"This is a paipo site...isn't it?"
www.tp4surf.com
GeoffreyLevens
Big Wave Charger

Never rode it in big, powerful waves so do not know about ultimate strength, but I have installed old school FU long box in board that was thin enough that the tail end of the box was through on the deck and needed to be ground down and glassed over. Worked find as hard as I worked it anyway.
bgreen
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by bgreen »

The AKU shaper drawing listed volume as 21.9 litres - that's the basic shape without foam removal.It's pretty thin in the tail. I'd never ridden a single fin bellyboard so was happy to give one a go. Could it ride better with more fins - maybe, maybe not.

It tuberides well finless - it really gets some hold, but maintains speed. The big difference is in fuller waves and probably getting around whitewater. Hopefully I get to test it out on a couple of trips coming up.

It doesn't weigh a real lot. I can't weigh it at present as it is now wrapped in a board bag with my handled board, ready for a trip to Indonesia. Both boards came in under 14kgs on a set of dodgy bathroom scales the other day.
krusher74
Big Wave Charger

its so different to what I ride I would love to have a go to see how it feels. Will it slide out if you want it too?
bgreen
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by bgreen »

krusher74 wrote:its so different to what I ride I would love to have a go to see how it feels. Will it slide out if you want it too?
I'm not exactly sure what you mean about by sliding the tail out, but finless, I can weight forward and it will pull through the wave face. It certainly handles a tube, probably better than any other board I've had.

I hope to have some photos of the trip, of the board in action.
bgreen
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by bgreen »

Here is the new board being ridden finless. I rode it finned on the bigger, less hollow days.
Finless1a.jpg
Finless1a.jpg (69.26 KiB) Viewed 6253 times
A sequence at a fun right. The observant will notice a dive-fin. I lost 3 fins on the trip and the strap of another broke. A dive fin as well as an odd fin that was found where I was staying, kept me in the water.
Finless2a.jpg
Finless2a.jpg (67.28 KiB) Viewed 6253 times
Finless2b.jpg
Finless2b.jpg (74.12 KiB) Viewed 6253 times
Finless2c.jpg
Finless2c.jpg (78.59 KiB) Viewed 6253 times
Finless2d.jpg
Finless2d.jpg (71.11 KiB) Viewed 6253 times
krusher74
Big Wave Charger

bgreen wrote:
krusher74 wrote:its so different to what I ride I would love to have a go to see how it feels. Will it slide out if you want it too?
I'm not exactly sure what you mean about by sliding the tail out, but finless, I can weight forward and it will pull through the wave face. It certainly handles a tube, probably better than any other board I've had.

I hope to have some photos of the trip, of the board in action.
I meant break the rail traction free and slide the board, say if you were in a bottom turn and turn up the face, to start a 360 you would push at the rail till its water traction broke, you would then be sliding on the flat bottom of the board.