New H fin board

What works and what doesn't. Share design ideas, references and contacts for paipo board builders.
krusher74
Big Wave Charger
City: easkey
State or Province: co sligo
Interests: Surfing, vintage cars and motorbikes

Re: New H fin board

Unread post by krusher74 »

You must put a lot of hours into basic shaping?

Once you are riding it are you up on the foil the whole ride, or does it dip back down on the main board ?
CHRISPI
Big Wave Charger
City: Durban
State or Province: Natals

Unread post by CHRISPI »

It is hard to explain the main hull sits up but with the wake foam ball touching the rail, mostly it runs with one rail and one fin in steep walls, at very high speeds it gets up on one wing tip, shaping is not that difficult the main parts are foam laminates with the main concaves and rockers pressed in. The fin is built separately a foam laminate with corrugated spars .
bgreen
Big Wave Charger
City: Brisbane
State or Province: Qld

Unread post by bgreen »

CHRISPI wrote:Hi Bob
This board has not been tested. But my last full size board the black one is absolutely amazing it rides slop , white water ,got this amazing ability to drive around foameys and to get over flat sections. But its best feature is its ability to hold a high horizontal line in barrels, it loves pitching waves, I must admit I don’t really like waves much bigger than head high. I like quantity a good day is a hundred barrel day . It loves really small waves as well. It sounds too good to be true ,it takes time to get used to , asking body boarders to test it has not been to successful ,its change from displacement surfing to tiptoeing on one fin tip is dramatic but when pitched properly it is mind blowing .
Thanks - so it rides slop and barrels, but probably hasn't been ridden in bigger waves. Sounds versatile.
Maybe 2018 - I'd give it a go.
CHRISPI
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by CHRISPI »

Bob
It’s hard to explain these boards dont hand over in one session very well , they seem to have an unnatural balance ,when I do quick water swaps and I get on to body boards it feels like there is no lift when on a wave, the latest body boards seem to have amazing buoyancy but when riding seem to produce half the lift my boards do , I have been riding so called wing boards for a long time now I suppose if you ride a car bonnet long enough it will start to fell normal and everything else unnatural ? .I really need a paipo get together to try out other boards, I have tried out a solid wood board it was fast but a bitch to catch waves. Although we have a passionate surfing community in South Africa, nobody seems to want to try different stuff maybe they do but are but hard to find?
zensuni
Big Wave Charger
City: Bordeaux
State or Province: Aquitaine

Unread post by zensuni »

CHRISPI wrote:I have tried out a solid wood board it was fast but a bitch to catch waves.
According to my little paipo experience, catching waves with a wood paipo is not more difficult than with a bodyboard, it is just a different way. The wood paipo isn't buoyant enough to carry your body until the ride starts. So you need to put your hands flat on the paipo's deck, remain behind the board (your body is entirely in the water), arms extended, just like you would do with a kickboard. stiffen your body, try to make your body flat, don't arch your back, and kick like hell under the water. When you feel that the waves catches you, then only you can have the classic bodyboard position. The same method works fine for me for bodysurfing and when I use the surf mat, basically your body becomes the board.
bgreen
Big Wave Charger
City: Brisbane

Unread post by bgreen »

Chrispi,

I'm sure the boards aren't mastered in a single session but it may be possible to get a glimpse of what they can do. The capacity to slice through whitewater sounds like fun.

How are your boards coming in on a heavy shallow shorebreak or over rock?
CHRISPI
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by CHRISPI »

Heavy shore break is where this board is at its best, its ability to hold a horizontal line on a vertical face is amazing, and at 63 I am not as brave as the old days. One of the biggest problems with these boards with lots of thin rails and sharp edges are they chip and mark easily. My home break has a rock break with mussels and lots of sea urchins I have scraped my shins a few times I don’t like it
CHRISPI
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by CHRISPI »

My second session on the new board in perfect 10 sec 1.6 M offshore conditions showed two new traits one was in a flick turn a sharp high frequency rattle of what I think is cavitation is felt and herd ,do forum followers feel there is some significance in it . Do conventional displacement boards ever bang and pop?? There is a new and strange feeling board posture when running away from a close out as it hits the flat-water it stands up on the wing tips and ocelots from one tip to the other obviously some sort of inertia coupling ,it makes me feels uncomfortably high off the water. I have never felt this on my other boards
SURFFOILS
Big Wave Charger
City: Gold Coast

Unread post by SURFFOILS »

CRISPI, great board !! I think the vibrating noise could be twang from the off side wingtip during a fast turn, youve loaded up the forces and then unloaded. The aquatic version of SCH-wing !! (indeed)

And the oscillating is caused by the foil sitting up /skimming on the surface and then balancing back and forth like the death wobbles on a skateboard.
More technically its could be a von Kármán vortex street pattern, but thats usually on a single surface.

ref. In fluid dynamics, a Kármán vortex street is a repeating pattern of swirling vortices caused by the unsteady separation of flow of a fluid around blunt bodies.
------------------------------------------------------------------
surffoil@gmail.com
CHRISPI
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by CHRISPI »

Thanks Bret great to see you on this forum again, been following your stuff on swaylocks interesting stuff. Your description sounds spot on, one of my biggest problems on these boards is that they are very pitch sensitive, if you are off pitch by a small amount it fells mushy still as fast as a body board, but when on pitch the board fells like it has had a rocket lit under it and wants to pull out of your hands. Every new board takes at least 5 sessions to relearn its pitch line
SURFFOILS
Big Wave Charger

Hi Chris, I think the pitch sensitivity is due to the chord length, with a wide wing with short chord it's very pitch sensitive because you're relying on Bernoullian forces for lif like a plane wing, but if you use a short wing with a long chord it's very stable in pitch and hard to stall, it uses the infinite energy of the wave for lift. It's like if you step outside into a gale holding a large piece of ply, the foil on the ply is not going to make any difference, it's all Newtons principles of energy. I'm sure we discussed this a while ago, pity we're not on the same continent !
surffoil@gmail.com
zensuni
Big Wave Charger
City: Bordeaux
State or Province: Aquitaine

Unread post by zensuni »

Please post videos of this board in action if you have some :D
SURFFOILS
Big Wave Charger

Go to Vimeo and search for SURFFOILS, there's a handful of videos there.
I would say my foils are very stable and easy to ride but they lack the cool design that Chris has. I've put similar foils on a Laser sailboat.
Attachments
IMG_1754.PNG
IMG_1755.PNG
IMG_1753.PNG
IMG_1752.PNG
surffoil@gmail.com
CHRISPI
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by CHRISPI »

The 2015 \ 2016 quiver. As you can see I was trying to address the cord issue with the small boards, but I am stuck on this issue of trying to understand that transient zone from planeing to foil lift .I want my fin, foil, main lift body? To be as good on top as in the water . I am in a difficult position were I have built more board evolutions than I can test. And testing is not always fun getting nailed on an unfamiliar board, on waves I would easily make on my go to boards. I have tried to keep the test parameters simple longest ride on a wave face wins. One week at a wave pool would do it but after checking Krushers cost estimate, it’s out of my reach. Like yesterday the waves were so good and not wanting to miss out went back to my old board, missing a teast session on the new board ?
Attachments
GOPR2384.JPG
Last edited by CHRISPI on Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CHRISPI
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by CHRISPI »

My number one go to board is the black one , the white one I could not get comfortable on.
CHRISPI
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by CHRISPI »

That picture is not to scale the black board is by far the biggest it’s takenon a gopro on fish eye i think .
SURFFOILS
Big Wave Charger

Can you explain about these front sections , they look angled ?
Attachments
IMG_1764.JPG
surffoil@gmail.com
CHRISPI
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by CHRISPI »

Shock wave propagator or laminar flow splitter
SURFFOILS
Big Wave Charger

I think you don't need that angled surface to get on the plane.
I'd buy them all if I had the chance !
Attachments
IMG_1763.JPG
surffoil@gmail.com
CHRISPI
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by CHRISPI »

Bret long story this, every bit of my boards has been meticulously thought about looked at and refined in great detail in my mind . Do I know what I am talking about I don’t know ? my board buildding abuility I thinck excceds my understanding the complexity of refining the movment of a human body ridding on a wave . My interest is in understanding the wave this uncompressible momentry vertical wall made of water that can be ridden.