Need feedbacks on the HPD XL

What works and what doesn't. Share design ideas, references and contacts for paipo board builders.
Papa Paepo o
Big Wave Charger
City: Honolulu
State or Province: Hi.
Interests: building & riding Papa Paepo`o (Paipo) Boards. All types and sizes, I even rode a abandon 4'ft - 8'ft. plywood that adrift from a commercial fishing boat in Kewalo Basin, O`ahu in the year of 1996.

Re: Need feedbacks on the HPD XL

Unread post by Papa Paepo o »

Is it easier for you surf with a leash? I've never seen anyone here in Hawai'i added a lanyard on their boards. Hope to see some photos clips of you in action.
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger
City: Arbutus Land
State or Province: Maryland
Interests: Waveriding, travel and the Paipo Research Project

Re: Need feedbacks on the HPD XL

Unread post by rodndtube »

I find it an overall better and safer experience surfriding with a leash... especially when many, many tens of yards out from the beach and at breaks with lots of hard structures (reefs, beach rock/reef, inside cliffs, piers, jetty/groin, etc.). Although there are times I find myself having to dive under a wave, pull the board and rely upon the leash to hold the board (aka bailing), it is my practice to never do this in proximity of others for safely reasons. A leash is also useful in sand bar break waves where there is shallow water and continuous waves and currents -- much easier to get out pulling the board, diving under and so on.

Does a leash ever get in the way? Yes, on occasion it will tangle up with my board skegs. I normally use a 6 ft. leash, non-coil, wrapped around my wrist and the leash plug 3 inches below the tip of the nose of the board.
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

"The sea doth wash away all human ills."
-- Euripides.